in this country at this time. Things can change but are really unlikely to do so. We have a national tendency to go too far in one direction and then to over correct and go back too far in the opposite direction -- yet we generally end up after some oscillation in getting it about right. We don't torture -- some people may do so as an exception but we, as a nation don't buy it. The Armed forces certainly don't and punish where they can when it is discovered.

I do not -- and do not know anyone who -- supports torture for all the reasons you state. I possibly would not agree with you on what constitutes torture but I might. Regardless, I do agree with harsh interrogation techniques short of torture -- and I use the US statutory description thereof. Anyone indulging in such torture IMO deserves the harshest possible punishment.

Which leads to to your final paragraph. I'm not at all sure what you're trying to say? Are you implying that we have done that or is that merely a hypothetical based on some things you've seen on blogs written by people who have little real knowledge of the topic?