Quote Originally Posted by Ken White View Post
Generally, the understanding of what they're criticizing is superficial or ill-informed (as was your comment I quoted here and a few others over the past weeks) and -- this is important -- we don't really care what you think but are willing to mention some things you might not have thought of.
Yeah, right. You don't know whom or what arguments I'm talking about, but you know they're wrong. Looks like a holy cow rests on the road ahead.

@Wilf;
I see some possible excuses for the Georgians that would not imply operational incompetence. Instead, they imply political incompetence.
I've seen lots of info right now that hint at successful provocations by Russia (via its proxy SO) prior to this hot war phase (even including artillery attacks on Georgian settlements).
It looks like Saakashvili took the bait, and he did it in a way that gave the Russians an easy opportunity for intervention.

It reminds me a lot of mid-19th century to pre-WWI politics.

-----

About the map; it looks pretty similar to Bosnian war maps and also a bit reminiscent of Sino-Japanese War maps.
The Russian advance guard smashed right through the main Georgian enclave early on - that was probably already the decision of the war.
The last info that I got is that the Russians advanced beyond SO to the next Georgian city. It looks like they want to increase pressure on the Georgian government till it resigns.