Thread: Infantry Unit Tactics, Tasks, Weapons, and Organization

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Quote Originally Posted by PsJÄÄK Korte View Post
    For reasons unknown to me, finnish army doesn't have snipers at battalion level or higher, unless you count designated marksman of recon squads.
    Maybe it is tradionalism or something.
    Well, sniping was important in 39/40, but that were basically good shots with iron sighted bolt action hunting rifles. They shot at distances well below what snipers understand to be their realm nowadays.

If the Finnish army hadn't Valmet AK-derivative assault rifles, I'd guess that they expect more regular infantry to camo and hunt like Snipers did in WW2.

Btw, I understand that Finnish infantry is quite obsessed with mines, both AT and claymore types?
    It kinda reminds me of the military thought between 1900 and 1914; defensive strength was discovered and armies strived to exploit it also in the offence by moving and then expecting (counter-)attacks.
    To discover an offensive strength and to apply that one in the defence as well as in offence always looked more convincing to me.

Btw, I remember having seen a basic Jaeger Bde TO&E on an official Finnish website about a year ago. At that time I was negatively surprised at the low survivability of arty/mortars and ATGWs (towed 120mm, TOW).

edit: Google yielded this: http://orbat.com/site/toe/issues/I3/...20FinnJB90.pdf
    Last edited by Fuchs; 06-22-2011 at 09:41 AM.