Page 40 of 49 FirstFirst ... 303839404142 ... LastLast

Thread: 'Nigeria: the context for violence' (2006-2013)

Latitude 17° 5' 11N, Longitude 120° 54' 24E, altitude 1499m. Right where I want to be.

How do people feel about a foreign unit conducting armed operations on Nigerian soil? In a lot of places that would be a real hot button issue...
    “The whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, all of them imaginary”

H.L. Mencken

Council Member

Some feel unhappy that the Nigerian government seems to value foreign lives much more than Nigerian lives. This is a very sore point.

There isn't much sympathy for the deaths of the two hostages because according to some "the British government and Shell weren't in the least bit bothered when they colluded with the Nigerian government to murder hundreds of Nigerians in the Niger Delta".

There is also a little bit of "serves them right". That "Cameron thinks he still is the colonial master of Nigeria and even though he can snap his fingers and get the Nigerian government to do his bidding. Great, even your much vaunted special forces couldn't do this right".

How does this impact on the average Nigerian? Does it make the Nigerian government more likely to intervene to save Nigerian lives? No. Does it cement the already widespread suspicion of Western control over our government? Yes. Does this play well in Nigeria's restive North? I doubt it.

This event in itself has little impact on the security situation in Northern Nigeria. It was a given that the British and Americans would want to do some special ops, but even if those special ops were successful, the impact on the security and safety of Nigerians would be zero. So why should we (Nigerians) be bothered?

There is also a vocal element in the South that rub their hands in glee at the latest misfortune in the North. The Nigerian society is rapidly unraveling and Nigeria is less of united nation than it was ten years ago.

Council Member

Default Sample responses to the botched commando raid

A peek into how Nigerians see the botched raid.

Not good for our National image.
    Just heard that bast.ard 'Cameron' say he authorised an operation on Nigerian soil - Fc.uk him

How dare he?

He must think Nigeria is Ireland or Scotland.

Boko - Well done on this occassion.

Boko Haram (1) - SAS/SSS - (Nil)
    @faithin9ja

Who are you and where are you from to refer to Nigeria as "your"?

If you're not Nigeria, why can't take your silly story to poundland.com or dailymail.co.uk?!? The honest truth is that, no one in Nigeria cares about this non-story. R.I.P to the dead - but Nigerians could give two fu.cks about this news. If the same British didn't make the North as powerful as it is today - maybe this would never have happened.

Now, crawl back to your hole and change your name to "fathinUKaAaClownB4BnpGetsMe."
    I hope the Boko Haram also killed the members of British Special Forces involved in the rescue operation.
    Listen mate, R.I.P to the dead - but you don't expect Nigerians to leave what they're doing because a "white" guy was held hostage in the middle of nowhere - just as no British guy would gives a phuck when Shell was destroying Niger/Delta and the innocent people were dying of hunger.
    So who are they building the so-called central bank for and how's that going to benefit the people of Birni Kebbi?? I guess the Rothschild - so let them go sort themselves out.

If David Cameron has publicly said "the British government do not pay ransom" - that's his cup of tea, and I'll send him some crumpets via royalmail for a good lunch. This isn't the 19th century and the era of the British Empire where you go about invading other country's sovereignty - you've to play "ball" if you're caught off guard. Play "ball" doesn't mean you're weak (which the UK is right now) - but it will save the lives of innocent people.
    Whether they are Nigerians or Chinese the point is - How dare Cameron sanction such an operation on Nigerian Soil?

And why would he be the one who can authorise such an operation - Is GEJ taking orders from him?

The West seem to think they can go where they want, when they want and do what they want.
    You can see clearly there that they didn't inform the Italians before they went ahead with the rescue operation. That shows the arrogance of David Cameron - and silly Nigerians are quick to blame Nigeria for the botched rescue stupidity. I doubt even clueless Goodluck Jonathan knew about it - he probably gave the dumb press conference to make his masters happy.
    I'm neither a conspiracy theorist nor a Northerner - I'm a proud Yoruba Christian (if growing up in the church applies) - and I abhor every form of terrorism. Y'all can take this lightly and think it's a Northern agenda - but it's far from it. Everything looks like it's scripted, and the scramble for Africa and oil is on. We suddenly realized some KONY guy in Uganda yesterday after 20years of terror - because oil has been discovered in Uganda. Last month was all about Somalia - which they never cared about since 2001, because oil was found in Somalia - and today some hostages that have been in captivity since 2011 were suddenly shot dead.

Stop being naive - once they come into Nigeria - they won't leave till they plunder everything. And once the drones and the hellfire missiles start dropping - it won't just be Northern Nigeria - Niger Delta would also feel it. They don't really care about the North - their eyes are on Niger Delta, the North would just be their operational base. Ask questions!!
    Anyway, the so called 'War on Terrors' epicentre is now Nigeria.

The west now have a plausible reason to establish a military base (aka consulate) in Nigeria, a 'Drone Program', flood Nigeria with 'Arms' paid for from future budgets, put 'Boots on the Ground' etc etc.

Some would call it a 'Psychological Operation' - Problem - Reaction - Solution.

Expect 'Defence Spending' to radically increase.

Boko Haram/Al Qaida are now used to refer to the same people = predominantly muslim extremists.

They've used the same 'Modus of Operation' for centuries. It wouldn't suprise me if our 'Dullard President' signs a 'Protection Treaty' with them tomorrow in exchange for the resources of the land.

This ones even more pathetic than the so called 'Bin Laden' capture and murder.
    Cameron is not Obama, neither is the Britain anything near America. Trying to spring an Obama surprise failed woefully. this has only bought him fury from the Italians and recriminations will come even from his own parliament.
    http://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-889613.0.html

Council Member

Default Boko Haram Strikes Kano Again

If you recall, a raid by BH led to about 200 deaths last January. They've attacked again. This merely puts in focus the irrelevance of British hostage relief operations to the security situation in Northern Nigeria.

Why (Nigerians ask) should we be bothered about two British hostages, when no one (our government inclusive) is bothered about our own lives and security?

Suspected Boko Haram militants attacked a police station in Kano suburb earlier today according to residents.

Armed militants stormed the Rijiyar Zaki Police station in Ungogo local government area in an audacious attack that led some policemen to flee the station.

The Joint Task Force was immediately called to halt the attack. Saharareporters could not confirm the number of casualty as at the time of filing this report. The area is entirely cordoned by soldiers from the JTF.
    http://saharareporters.com/news-page...e-station-kano

Council Member

Seems now the rhetoric will change. The Brits lost a lot of cred. for the failed rescue. They will try to ease the damage, at home and internationally, by now saying what some have said for some time that BH does have links to AQIM and other jihadist groups.

http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/...8280RV20120309
    Security officials say Boko Haram has received training, weapons and bomb-making technology from al Qaeda in the Islamic Magreb, which operates in neighboring Niger and Chad. The Nigerian militant group wants to impose Islamic Sharia law in a country split between Christians and Muslims.

The hostages were shown in a short video that emerged in August saying they were being held by al Qaeda.
    It seems that the Brits delayed a couple of days after they had information as to where the hostages were being held. They should have known, it seems to me, that the news that they had captured two BH's top people that the word would spread to the compound.

The SSS source said Nigerian forces arrested two of the conspirators on Tuesday, including Abu Mohammed, near Sokoto, on the basis of a Nigerian intelligence tipoff. After interrogation the two led them to the compound.

The Nigerian and British forces mounted a joint raid two days later. The source said three kidnappers were taken alive from inside the house and the others were killed.
    With the story you just reported Kingjaja, it seems that BH is not slowing down with the Bristish forces showing up.

Quote Originally Posted by KingJaja View Post
    Some feel unhappy that the Nigerian government seems to value foreign lives much more than Nigerian lives. This is a very sore point.
    It's been decades since most of the West evacuated Zaire, but the scene that day is burned into my memory. Not the mass of whites going for anything that would float or fly, but the look on the Zairians faces watching many of us leave (them behind).

There may have been 70 or so Westerners killed and raped during the first week of pillaging and social upheavals, but those were considered acts of revenge for years of abuse and probably also rape in one form or another.

Not so easy to explain to most, that even the Zairians cared but had little control nor hope. One of the ground handlers at the airport noticed I had no bags and asked, "Mr. Stan, you're not leaving?" When I told him he was stuck with me and the Colonel, he grabbed me and gave both of us a huge hug. (It was hot outside that day - and we were both sweating)... Yuk !

More than 2,500 locals has lost their lives during that week and all we focused on was condemning Zaire for those 70 or so whites being killed.

It's not hard for me to believe that the common Nigerian has a whole lot more to be concerned about than those two murdered engineers.

Pumping oil and playing with ordnance are risky occupations. They knew that when they went North, but, still decided to go. I don't see where their governments became responsible for their actions. Kidnapping obviously still pays well, but maybe this little soirée has sent a message.
    If you want to blend in, take the bus

Council Member

And it is not just Boko Haram which benefits from the global fear of terrorism. My friend went on to point out that a quarter of Nigeria's budget of almost $30 billion this year will be spent on the military and security services. The service chiefs will now have to find - or create something - to justify that and keep it flowing.

Many of the northern highways are studded with police road blocks which have an excuse and official blessing to engage in a bit of highway robbery. It is very difficult to get through any Nigerian roadblock without 'dashing' - paying - the police. But the police are small beer compared to the army. This is the biggest chance the generals have had to 'chop' since military rule ended in 1999. Unless they have changed completely, the senior officers will not allow the justification for this level of spending to diminish or die. They now have a major stake in Nigeria's 'war on terror'.

This is also the case for northern Nigerian politicians who have been funding and possibly even directing Boko Haram. They saw how the politicians of the Niger Delta manipulated the gangs which were attacking oil installations and demanding that oil companies did more for the local communities. The end result was that political power shifted to the Delta with a Delta man as president. If the Delta could do that, so could the north, which has finally lost political power in Nigeria after almost 50 years.
    http://allafrica.com/stories/201203091186.html

The article is an "Analysis" piece written by Richard Dowden, the Directory of the Royal African Society.

Quote Originally Posted by Chowing View Post
    Seems now the rhetoric will change. The Brits lost a lot of cred. for the failed rescue. They will try to ease the damage, at home and internationally, by now saying what some have said for some time that BH does have links to AQIM and other jihadist groups.
    The failed op will probably be blamed on the Nigerian team (incapable, lack of intel, etc.) and swept under the rug.

I was unaware of BH claiming they kidnapped the engineers nearly a year ago. I believe the credit simply goes to "a militant group". Kidnapping has been going on for years in that region. Considering how Jaja feels about the competence of the Nigerian police and security services, I am unlikely to believe something an "SSS source" unanimously decides to leak to the press . I doubt the rhetoric will change, but the kidnapper's strategy will indeed change for the worst.

With the story you just reported Kingjaja, it seems that BH is not slowing down with the Bristish forces showing up.
    That's a good point, Chowing ! Why would BH slow down just because the Brits came in to rescue two engineers from "a militant group or splinter"? The renewed attack on a police station just tells me the Nigerian police have gone laxed thinking they are invincible following a slow period of activity. This is so typical that even they should have known not to let their guard down. A minor victory, but they have yet to win the war.

Council Member

Quote Originally Posted by Stan View Post
    More than 2,500 locals has lost their lives during that week and all we focused on was condemning Zaire for those 70 or so whites being killed.

It's not hard for me to believe that the common Nigerian has a whole lot more to be concerned about than those two murdered engineers.

Pumping oil and playing with ordnance are risky occupations. They knew that when they went North, but, still decided to go. I don't see where their governments became responsible for their actions. Kidnapping obviously still pays well, but maybe this little soire has sent a message.
    For those of us who have worked alongside and been helped and broadened by Africans it is always a sad affair to see the press go to town reporting the deaths of expat visitors in a context where hundreds, even thousands of Africans have died. It would be sad enough it was merely nationalism that causes the Western press and governments to churn up the rhetoric, but I am of the opinion that racism trumps nationalism in many cases.

http://allafrica.com/stories/201203091186.html

The article is an "Analysis" piece written by Richard Dowden, the Directory of the Royal African Society.
    I think his opening para says it all. The rest is a bit of repetitive journalism from wire feeds.

Nothing in Nigeria is what it seems. Beneath a confusing, disorderly surface lie networks of association and obligation of which outsiders, and sometimes insiders, are unaware. Money is chopped (stolen), people paid off, budgets looted and shared. Power, political and financial, is never transparent. In other nation states a citizen's obligations to the state or employer, trump friendship or family connections. In Nigeria the state and institutions often rank far lower than personal affiliations. Outsiders are often shocked at the way public institutions are looted and distributed to buy personal loyalty or simply given to family and friends. The state is not a revered institution serving all citizens. It is a treasure house of power and money to be captured and looted.

Council Member

I pointed out everything he (Richard Dowden) wrote over the past few months. I don't, however have any high sounding titles and I am not considered "an expert" on Nigeria (a topic I have intimate knowledge of and interest in).

Why do people quote Westerners with only a passing knowledge of the subject matter? There are several million university graduates from Nigeria and most of them can present a clearer picture of what is going on down there.

Council Member

Default PHOTONEWS: UK/Nigeria Failed Rescue Bid

This is what the crime scene looks like barely 24 hours after the botched bid. We've got serious problems here.

Are to assume that a lot of the forensic evidence will be lost.

http://saharareporters.com/photo/pho...led-rescue-bid

Council Member

I pointed out everything he (Richard Dowden) wrote over the past few months. I don't, however have any high sounding titles and I am not considered "an expert" on Nigeria (a topic I have intimate knowledge of and interest in).

Why do people quote Westerners with only a passing knowledge of the subject matter? There are several million university graduates from Nigeria and most of them can present a clearer picture of what is going on down there.
    Hey, I will quote you anyday, Kingjaja. Your insights are very valuable here, and would be valuable to any venue where Nigerian affairs are discussed. Still waiting for the day you will launch your campaign for office.

Default Sad and odd

Leaving aside the failed rescue attempt and the diplomatic tiff with Italy, today's coverage here has stated the British SBS tried to storm the house after a decision to go ahead by the UK PM:http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-17322143 .

What has struck me as odd is the absence of any stated role for the government of Nigeria.

The BBC report by a local reporter states the gunfire went on for hours, you will have to listen to the report:http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-17311568

I fully accept the criticism that KingJaJa has illustrated. One hopes this Anglo-Nigerian cooperation will be bilaterally examined and lessons learnt. Perhaps the UK will then - openly - offer assistance.

Yes, the footage of the house indicates the premises were not secured after the shooting stopped and anyone could wander around. This disregard for basic police procedures and loss of forensic opportunities is not a good sign; not that it does not happen elsewhere, for example Ms Bhutto's murder scene was hosed down.
    davidbfpo

Latitude 17° 5' 11N, Longitude 120° 54' 24E, altitude 1499m. Right where I want to be.

I don't think anyone's denied that there are "links". The question is the nature and the extent. Possibly due to local experience, I'm suspicious of the word "link" in the AQ context, and I wouldn't like to see BH reflexively referred to as "AQ-linked", just as I wouldn't like to see the US put BH on the terrorist list. Either would push a fundamentally domestic conflict toward internationalization, and either would be perceived as - and could actually become - a prelude to foreign intervention.

Why would BH slow down? The Brits weren't there to fight BH in general, they were there for one mission. They're probably out of the country already. I wouldn't expect any impact at all on BH operations.
    “The whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, all of them imaginary”

H.L. Mencken

Council Member

Default sad and odd INDEED

Quote Originally Posted by davidbfpo View Post

The BBC report by a local reporter states the gunfire went on for hours, you will have to listen to the report:http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-17311568

I fully accept the criticism that KingJaJa has illustrated. One hopes this Anglo-Nigerian cooperation will be bilaterally examined and lessons learnt. Perhaps the UK will then - openly - offer assistance.

Yes, the footage of the house indicates the premises were not secured after the shooting stopped and anyone could wander around. This disregard for basic police procedures and loss of forensic opportunities is not a good sign; not that it does not happen elsewhere, for example Ms Bhutto's murder scene was hosed down.
    It seems the operation was botched in many ways. Hours of gunfire really surprises me. According to first reports, the security forces, including the British had been informed where the hostages were being held two days before the operation took place. Seems that would be enough time to come up with a plan that would get them into the compound much quicker. The resistance inside must have been far more than they expected.

The crime scene, it seems to me, would have been of great interest to the British as well. Why didn't they help secure it.

I am confident that there are many differences between the US raid in Pakistan that killed Bin Laden. The target was "greater" and they did not have the cooperation of the local government. Sometimes "cooperation" can work against coming up with and carrying out a highly sophisticated plan. Yet, as this operation is picked apart, the Brits will not look good on many levels.

BH has had a great gain from this. The hostages were not freed. They held off the Brits and Nigerian security forces for "hours." Whether the hostages were taken by core BH loyalists or just a splinter, the whole BH movement will have gained considerable fear from the populous and generated some pride and respect from loyalists. Can't help but think this will help their recruitment and funding.

Council Member

I think that (a) the operation was compromised and (b) whoever held those hostages was a lot more competent than the Brits thought.

Boko Haram has gone out of its way to state that they weren't responsible for the hostage taking. This could mean that (a) they were behind it but are afraid of further retaliation from the Brits or (b) they were not behind it.

(Boko Haram was very proud of its achievement at the UN building last year - so they are not too averse to foreign targets).

The sad truth is that many Nigerians don't really like the Brits, so there isn't too much sympathy for the Brits. The Niger Delta hates the Brits because of Shell. In the South-East, many remember that Britain was one of the most earnest backers of the Northern-led Nigerian government (85% of weapons supplied), 1-3 million people died during that conflict. And many in the North (the lower classes), hate the Brits for perpetuating the feudal system (Lugard's indirect rule through the emirs) that keeps the poor uneducated and dis-empowered.

In many ways, Boko Haram is a revolt against the British-sanctioned feudal system (sons of local aristocracy who were encouraged to seek careers in the Military and were trained at Sandhurst and Mons, Aldershot). These boys later became kleptocratic generals/politicians. When you add British support for the "War on Terror" and the absence of an independent British position on the Arab-Israeli conflict, one immediately realises that there is a lot stacked against the British.

In summary, the Brits need to be very careful about what they do in Nigeria going forward. The same applies to America. The problem with America is that there is no discernible difference between British and American foreign policy in Nigeria/Africa. This may be good because America can "leverage" on the extensive experience of the British - but remember that the British have a very long history and did a lot of bad things - and they won't tell you about everything they were up to.

This means that Americans are assumed to support everything the British do in Nigeria. That might have been a prudent policy in the sixties and seventies (during the Cold War), but with a more sophisticated, better educated and more Worldly wise new generation, this policy requires a rethink.

NB: The same applies to the Brits with regards to American policies.

Council Member

Default An Account of the Rescue Mission

From a Nigerian Newspaper. (Could our military experts comment on this?).

Heavily armed soldiers and men of the State Security Service (SSS), reportedly supported by British security operatives in a commando-like operation on Thursday stormed a criminal hideout at Mabera area of Sokoto to free two expatriates, an Italian Franco Lamolinara and Briton Christopher McManus who were kidnapped in Kebbi State May last year.

Heavily armed soldiers and men of the State Security Service (SSS), reportedly supported by British security operatives in a commando-like operation on Thursday stormed a criminal hideout at Mabera area of Sokoto to free two expatriates, an Italian Franco Lamolinara and Briton Christopher McManus who were kidnapped in Kebbi State May last year.
    The operation started around 10am when the security personnel sneaked to Mabera, a sandy suburb in Sokoto metropolis without attracting the attention of the residents of the area. Soon, they cordoned off the un-tarred road leading to the detached building where the abductors were hiding.

Sensing the presence of the security personnel whose operation was heralded by an aerial patrol of the area with a military helicopter, the abductors opened fire. They started shooting sporadically into the air, Weekly Trust gathered. On their part, the soldiers who laid ambush on the abductors from all sides reciprocated by shooting at the house where the abductors were with the abducted expatriates.

Weekly Trust gathered that before the soldiers engaged the kidnappers in the gun duel, they asked residents who were attracted to the area by the gunshots to leave. Witnesses told our correspondent that the operators of a block factory opposite the abductors’ residence had to lie face-down. They were in that situation throughout the operation that lasted till 7pm. The gun duel lasted for hours, throwing residents of the area into fear. As the battle went on, an Armoured Personnel Carrier (APC) was deployed to join the assault.

Resident who were watching the operation from afar, said the kidnappers killed the British and Italian engineers when the soldiers were about to overpower them. “They killed the foreigners and threw their lifeless bodies outside the gate. But before then, a woman who was among the kidnappers came out from the house and from afar we saw her talking to the soldiers. She had a gunshot injury on her leg,” Kabir Mohammed who resides in the area, said.

According to him, the soldiers took the woman aside and the gun battle continued. He said the gateman was shot shortly after the woman left when he was trying to close the gate from inside. At the end of the operation, he said he saw the soldiers carrying the lifeless bodies of two of the abductors and that of the gateman.

“There was a time when the abductors engaged my service to construct mosquito net for them,” said Mohammed. “They paid me 1,000 naira for the small work I did for them but I did not see any foreign nationals among them. I entered the house but not an inner apartment. The people I saw in the compound were more than 10.” A civil servant, Mani Abubakar, who resides in the area said his attention was attracted to the house when a helicopter was patrolling only the building. “I was in my house when I noticed the helicopter and some minutes later I started hearing gunshots from the house,” he said. “I was peeping from my compound and throughout the operation I did not see any military or security operatives. Four hours into the gun battle, the kidnappers jumped the fence of their house to an uncompleted building near them. From there they were shooting and the soldiers set tires ablaze and were throwing it to them.”

Residents besieged the area a day after the failed rescue operation. From across the state residents of Sokoto yesterday trooped to the house out of curiosity, as early as 7am spectators continued to troop to the destroyed building. When our correspondent visited, people were seen moving from room to room in the house.

Weekly Trust noticed numerous gunshot holes in the building close to the house. Tyres were seen in an uncovered soak-away pit in the building. At the main house of the abductors, also, gunshot holes could be seen on the walls. After entering the gate of the house, our correspondent saw a two bedroom flat. Inside the compound, our correspondent saw three rooms each with a toilet. In one of the toilets, there was blood splashed all over. Spectators said it was where the expatriates were killed.

Efforts to get the landlord or caretaker of the house yielded no result as the occupant of the only house facing the building refused to talk to the press. Meanwhile, residents of a building allegedly owned by the landlord of the building where the kidnappers lived have deserted the house. The house carries the same design and colour with the house where the kidnapers stayed.

When contacted on phone during the operation on Thursday, the spokesperson of the Sokoto State Police Command, ASP Almustapha Sani said the operation was carried out by the SSS and the Army and not the police.“But on our part, we have fortified the whole state with our operatives,” he said.

Several calls put to the Sokoto state Director of SSS, Alhaji Jibril Danmallam on Thursday and Friday were unsuccessful as he was not picking his calls. However, Weekly Trust learnt that information on the location of the captors was received through people arrested in a raid on a Boko Haram hideout in Zaria on Tuesday night. A senior security official said in the Zaria raid a top Boko Haram factional leader named Abu Muhammad was captured along with some of his followers.

It was from those arrested in the raid that the security agencies extracted information about the location of the kidnapped expatriates, the source said. After getting what they considered “credible information,” the security agencies notified President Jonathan who then sought the approval of the British authorities to attempt freeing the kidnapped men.

British Prime Minister David Cameron in a statement yesterday confirmed he authorised the rescue attempt that went awry. Mr. Cameron said he called Italian Prime Minister Mario Monti to inform him of the “tragic conclusion” of the operation. “We are still awaiting confirmation of the details, but the early indications are clear that both men were murdered by their captors, before they could be rescued,” he said. In an Associated Press report, Italy’s president Yesterday accused Britain of an “inexplicable” failure to consult with his country before the rescue attempt was launched, but British Foreign Secretary William Hague said there was no time to confer and that Italy was informed only once the rescue mission was already under way. “We had to make a decision very quickly to go ahead with this operation, we had very limited time, that constrained how much we were able to consult others,” Hague said at a meeting in Denmark.

Italian President Giorgio Napolitano also demanded an explanation over the use of force to free the hostages. But Britain’s Defense Secretary Philip Hammond told BBC television: “There was intelligence that they were about to be moved, possibly executed and therefore the decision was to go in, aware of course that there were huge risks. Hostage rescue exercises always have huge risks attached ... but the decision was made that the best chance of saving their lives was to act.” Hammond said Britain would analyze the operation and discuss findings with the Italians.

Meanwhile, Weekly Trust went to B. Stabilini Construction Company, building the Kebbi State branch of the Central Bank of Nigeria, where the expatriates were kidnapped in May last year was under lock and key yesterday and security personnel said they were asked to cordon the place. All attempts to talk to the site manager failed as one of his aides told Weekly Trust the officer said he would not speak.

It would be recalled that when the two late expatriates were kidnapped, another Italian employee managed to escape during the kidnapping but a Nigerian neighbour who came to help was shot and wounded. About two weeks later, the kidnappers demanded for a ransom of N150 million for the release of the captives.
    http://weeklytrust.com.ng/index.php?...ries&Itemid=26

I am confident that there are many differences between the US raid in Pakistan that killed Bin Laden.

BH has had a great gain from this. The hostages were not freed. They held off the Brits and Nigerian security forces for "hours."
    You're indeed correct, there is a huge difference in the two scenarios. OBL was not holding anyone hostage and everyone inside was considered free game.

The only reason anything lasted longer than 5 minutes is because those forces came to rescue hostages. Had they known the two were dead, the purported hours of gun battles would have been significantly quicker and without the use of small arms ammunition.

This seems more likely the case:

I think that (a) the operation was compromised and (b) whoever held those hostages was a lot more competent than the Brits thought.

Boko Haram has gone out of its way to state that they weren't responsible for the hostage taking. This could mean that (a) they were behind it but are afraid of further retaliation from the Brits or (b) they were not behind it.

(Boko Haram was very proud of its achievement at the UN building last year - so they are not too averse to foreign targets).

Council Member

Default '£I million ransom deal had been struck for British hostage', claims al-Qaeda

So Al Qaeda was behind it! . What are the US and AFRICOM waiting for?

Could the kidnappers be part of Al Qaeda but not Boko Haram? Now if Al Qaeda is in Sokoto and Boko Haram is in Kano and Kano is a day's trip away from Sokoto, can we conclude that Al Qaeda has already made contact with Boko Haram?

Knowing the British press (I actually studied there), this story will grow wings and fly and pressure will be put on politicians and diplomats to say or do something.

The Nigerian gang who abducted Mr McManus, 28, and his Italian engineer colleague Francesco Molinara, 48, had already received part of the cash when Thursday’s raid took place, sources close to the kidnappers have alleged.
    They had intended to release the pair when the rest of the cash was handed over, but in the meantime British intelligence services and their Nigerian counterparts located their hideout and launched the rescue effort.
    The claims - denied last night by the Foreign Office - were made by a Mauritanian news agency, Agence Nouakchott D’Information, which is known to have close contacts with al-Qaeda in the Islamic Magreb. Last year it received a video tape of the two hostages, and it has also run interviews with senior figures in AQIM.
    Quoting an AQIM source, the agency said talks had been underway “for the liberation of the hostages” for some time.
    The kidnappers had even phoned Mr McManus’s family in Manchester, demanding an initial ransom of five million Euros and the release of a number of prisoners.
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worl...-al-Qaeda.html