Thread: Conflict, war and medicine (catch all).

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default It’s like they say about Brazil…

Quote Originally Posted by Madhu View Post
    Modernization theory and development stuff. I keep being told no one believes in such a linear process anymore, except it still seems to form a sort of basis for some of our interaction with other nations. Help, other council members! Am I off-base with this line of thinking?
    O país do futuro! E sempre será. The fact that the term “Developing World” continues to be used despite decades of evidence to the contrary says more about the nature of belief than it does about the validity of modernization theory, if you ask me.
    Last edited by ganulv; 06-29-2012 at 12:13 AM.
    If you don’t read the newspaper, you are uninformed; if you do read the newspaper, you are misinformed. – Mark Twain (attributed)

Council Member

Default The Brazilian saying is right on the money....

Quote Originally Posted by ganulv View Post
    O pas do futuro! E sempre ser. The fact that the term Developing World continues to be used despite decades of evidence to the contrary says more about the nature of belief than it does about the validity of modernization theory, if you ask me.
    Anyway,

A medical stability operations curriculum development program exists, apparently, but I know nothing about it. Anyone else know something useful? Bueller? Bueller? (Does anyone under a certain age even recognize the reference?)

The Medical Stability Operations Curriculum Development Program (MSOC) was created to develop an educational program for the U.S. Military, United States Governmental (USG) inter-agency partners, and partner and host nations as identified by the geographical Combatant Commands (COCOMs). This program will be a collaboration and partnership between the Uniformed Services University through the Center for Disaster and Humanitarian Assistance Medicine (USU/CDHAM) and Defense Medical Readiness Training Institute (DMRTI)
    I don't mean to pick on anyone, but there sure are a lot of different acronym-groupings on that site....

http://www.cdham.org/medical-stabili...t-program-msoc
    Last edited by Madhu; 07-02-2012 at 01:36 AM.

Council Member

Default From Zenpundit's Charles Cameron

More on cell phone medicine:

Yesterday was my first day at work on my new job with Urb.Im:
    http://zenpundit.com/?p=12047

M-chanjo: Saving lives by mixing health care with mobile technology

The project's name is M-chanjo, and its aim is to harness the power of mobile phones — ownership of which has increased tenfold over the last ten years in Kenya — to keep patients up to date on their upcoming inoculations and on any outreach programs that are due to take place in the area.
    and

Ushirika medical clinic, which serves several thousands of people monthly, aims to provide quality and affordable health care to the community members. In addition to the clinic's emphasis on curing illness, its staff also is deeply involved in disease prevention.
    http://urb.im/nr/120729mc

I am sure the VA has similar pilot programs? Teaching hospitals in the states are very, very good at some things, but they move at the pace of a snail in terms of envisioning something really radical in terms of the delivery of health care. At least, that's been my experience. Much of it has to do with established stakeholders and the rest with a health care policy literature and attitudes stuck in the mid twentieth century. Like so many others. Just why is there such intellectual stagnation here, there, and everywhere, institutionally speaking? Or am I being unfair?

Default Stagnation?

Madhu asked:
    Just why is there such intellectual stagnation here, there, and everywhere, institutionally speaking? Or am I being unfair?
    This maybe trite, it is alas very accurate: Jack be nimble, Jack be quick.

Curious that the example given is in Kenya, which has started a number of ground-breaking uses of IT, in finance and information sharing, alongside a paucity of public capital and increasing demand for public services.

We in the 'developed' world are rarely nimble, let alone quick. I cannot recall the details now, two sports stadium in London were recently built, one for a public body took years longer than another built for a privately-owned football club.
    davidbfpo