Thread: Saving their Souls in Fallujah?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Question Faith

It would seem to me that Faith in and of itself is very much a personal decision and as such faith really should stand on it's own without need for major input from outside interests. That said I think it important that any group be willing to help others in need when it comes to food, shelter, clothes, and economic / educational opportunities for further growth over time.

I will agree with most here that those who take this aid to the next level in requiring something in return or threatening something (or else) very quickly outstay their welcome. I believe for me the most important thing is that all those who choose to spread their faith in such a manner rather than letting their actions, and lives speak for them should be accountable to this standard.

Any one care to go over the number of religiously oriented groups who actively work under this premise right now. Pluralistic societies should at their baseline allow for those within them to know the truth (for themselves) and live to lead by example. The part which really boggles me is which societies feel it is so important to disallow even exposure to other faiths for fear of (??)

If you feel you must defend your faith by forcing it on others then I would say you may be missing some of the necessary elements of belief for yourself.

After all doesn't matter if your of Christian, Jewish, or Islamic faiths I think they all still purport that we were given the ability to choose between right and wrong from day one.
    Any man can destroy that which is around him, The rare man is he who can find beauty even in the darkest hours

Cogitationis poenam nemo patitur

Banned

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Humphrey View Post
    After all doesn't matter if your of Christian, Jewish, or Islamic faiths I think they all still purport that we were given the ability to choose between right and wrong from day one.

What does this say about military chaplaincy programs working with foreign populations instead of just with military members?
    Sam Liles
    Selil Blog
    Don't forget to duck Secret Squirrel
    The scholarship of teaching and learning results in equal hatred from latte leftists and cappuccino conservatives.
    All opinions are mine and may or may not reflect those of my employer depending on the chance it might affect funding, politics, or the setting of the sun. As such these are my opinions you can get your own.

Quote Originally Posted by selil View Post
    What does this say about military chaplaincy programs working with foreign populations instead of just with military members?
    Not much, so long as the chaplain knows the bounds of his constituancy.
    Example is better than precept.

Quote Originally Posted by RTK View Post
    Not much, so long as the chaplain knows the bounds of his constituancy.
    Well at the risk of bucking the current of the day, I remain very sceptical of this as an intiative for reasons on both sides of the interactive equation.

I understand that it has worked well at least according to those who support it; I have however talked to chaplains who are not as comfortable with it.

But hey, that's me

Tom

Default Thee...

and me..........

Aye me too!
    Sam Liles
    Selil Blog
    Don't forget to duck Secret Squirrel
    The scholarship of teaching and learning results in equal hatred from latte leftists and cappuccino conservatives.
    All opinions are mine and may or may not reflect those of my employer depending on the chance it might affect funding, politics, or the setting of the sun. As such these are my opinions you can get your own.