Thread: Sanctuary or Ungoverned Spaces:identification, symptoms and responses

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default No. Not an issue -- but they run will to / through your city

regardless of profitability or logic provided your Congressional delegation has enough clout. Isn't that enough? Why this carping over trivia like 'on time?' Tch, tch...

Quote Originally Posted by Ken White View Post
    regardless of profitability or logic provided your Congressional delegation has enough clout. Isn't that enough? Why this carping over trivia like 'on time?' Tch, tch...
    Ah, absolutely true. And we wouldn't see them for 8 to 12 weeks, then suddenly every previously scheduled train would arrive at once.

But, sorry, back to the topic...
    "The status quo is not sustainable. All of DoD needs to be placed in a large bag and thoroughly shaken. Bureaucracy and micromanagement kill."
    -- Ken White

"With a plan this complex, nothing can go wrong." -- Schmedlap

"We are unlikely to usefully replicate the insights those unencumbered by a military staff college education might actually have." -- William F. Owen

Default That's because Burlington Northern was the Congressional favorite

at the time and the northern route got twice daily service except for Sunday while you had to wait for every other Sunday that UP swapped off with Santa Fe to get all your trains...

Uh, right. What WAS the topic? Ah, yes, Foiled States.

I still agree with Bob's World. Not at all sure that States who do not do it our way are necessarily failed, nor do I think we (the West in general) have either an obligation or even a right to interfere as often as we do. I know that most of the West's interventions have done harm as well as little good -- that's a matter of record. Bigotry is not expressed only by poor treatment or verbiage...

Quote Originally Posted by Ken White View Post
    Not at all sure that States who do not do it our way are necessarily failed, nor do I think we (the West in general) have either an obligation or even a right to interfere as often as we do. I know that most of the West's interventions have done harm as well as little good -- that's a matter of record. Bigotry is not expressed only by poor treatment or verbiage...

See it's that moral thing again

Default Common sense and decency,

no moral BS about it.

Bob,

I served in a failed state as a defense attache charged with executing US policy that was simply impossible to apply in any meaningful way. That state was of course Zaire in Mobutu's declining years. Even before the Rwandan genocide finished sinking the Zairian ship, it was very clear the vessel was on the rocks and breaking apart. It had been doing so for years and US policy had sought to hold it together. We had done so for more than 30 years by the time I got on the ground but the end of the Cold War and 2 military mutinies had done what 3 decades of periodic rebellion had not done, namely driven Mobutu up country, leaving the state to collapse on itself.

US policy makers absolutely refused to see it for what it was: a non-state that had failed in its attempts (and ours as the West) to make it so. Because they refused to see it for what it was, we could not hope to address what it was going to become.

That is where I see the problem with the failed state moniker--most of the time the failed state was never a state to begin with. By that I mean a nation of people who saw themselves as a national body without having a gun at their collective heads. In these cases, we are not negotiating with governments, we are talking to individual leaders who may or may not actually control all, part, or none of the area in question. Our system of diplomacy including international diplomacy is built on the exact opposite premise: that governments control all regions and that if you plug into the correct government you can influence its behavior.

The reality is quite different and I would suggest that the classic application of gunpowder or gold is the answer in such cases, with the strong caveat that neither be applied unless absolutely necessary. Staying out is always easier than getting out. And if you do go in, go hard and get out before the dust settles.

Tom

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Odom View Post
    The reality is quite different and I would suggest that the classic application of gunpowder or gold is the answer in such cases, with the strong caveat that neither be applied unless absolutely necessary. Staying out is always easier than getting out. And if you do go in, go hard and get out before the dust settles.

Tom

Now your talking!! That is how criminals with 3rd grade educations consistently take over areas/countries all over the world....follow me and prosper...... oppose me and you will die. It ain't pretty but it is very effective!

That is where I see the problem with the failed state moniker--most of the time the failed state was never a state to begin with. By that I mean a nation of people who saw themselves as a national body without having a gun at their collective heads. In these cases, we are not negotiating with governments, we are talking to individual leaders who may or may not actually control all, part, or none of the area in question. Our system of diplomacy including international diplomacy is built on the exact opposite premise: that governments control all regions and that if you plug into the correct government you can influence its behavior.
    A much more concise statement of what I was rambling about above, Tom. Thanks!
    "On the plains and mountains of the American West, the United States Army had once learned everything there was to learn about hit-and-run tactics and guerrilla warfare."
    T.R. Fehrenbach This Kind of War

Council Member

US policy makers absolutely refused to see it for what it was: a non-state that had failed in its attempts (and ours as the West) to make it so. Because they refused to see it for what it was, we could not hope to address what it was going to become.

Great comment Tom.

I'll be bold here and suggest that we're making the same mistake in Afghanistan. We've been working hard - or trying to - on governance for many years now and it should be not surprise that success hasn't yet come. IMO the only way "Afghanistan" will survive as a state in the long term is through a loose federation and not the centralized government structure that now exists.