Thread: Winning the War in Afghanistan

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Council Member

Optimism is in the DNA of the military.

Default Unless

Quote Originally Posted by taabistan View Post
    Optimism is in the DNA of the military.
    Unless you equate limited tactical success with guaranteed strategic success (which I don't ) then I am not sure that my posts could be described as optimistic.

To clarify:

In Helmand the insurgencies do appear to be on the backfoot. That does appear to be a tactical success, but it is limited geographically and I am not sure if the political gains match the tactical gains locally.

In the East the insurgencies are coming under pressure - I am not in a position to say what that means in terms of outcomes or likely outcomes or even if they are on the defensive or constrained significantly in the East; they are simply coming under pressure.

At the strategic level a different game is being played out. I remain somewhat confused by our (the UK's) strategic goals and accompagnying strategy so I refrain from comment on the likely outcomes; but it looks to me like the Afghans (and other regional non-Western) players are now playing for the post-withdrawal outcomes and in that game the West is increasingly peripheral.
    Last edited by Red Rat; 10-20-2011 at 06:02 PM.
    RR

"War is an option of difficulties"

Council Member

The problem is, Red Rat, I don't disbelieve you or any one else when you say the US/UK military win in tactical battles. I would be extremely surprised if you didn't.

My question is, how are you going to sort out the Afghan government? I asked this question to General Stanley McChrystal when I was in Afghanistan, and all I could hear was military jargon.

In Iraq, there was a dynamic, strong government. Maliki was seen as an independent figure, and people saw supporting it as being a way for getting US troops out but also not avoid being mired in horror.

Karzai is a joke in everyone's eyes. For the Taliban, they see losing in the battlefield as only a short term inconvenience because they know no one trusts the man to lead the country.

Latitude 17° 5' 11N, Longitude 120° 54' 24E, altitude 1499m. Right where I want to be.

Many years ago when all this was still beginning, I wrote that the worst possible outcome in Afghanistan would be to find ourselves harnessed to a government that cannot stand, but that we believe we cannot allow to fall. It's starting to look like we've found our way to that place, or something very much like it.
    “The whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, all of them imaginary”

H.L. Mencken

Council Member

Default Here today (3 Nov); gone tomorrow (4 Nov)

But the King has no clothes, says the boy. Long live the King, say the rest.

The "happy-ending" version is the fairy tale.

Peter Fuller removed from duty as a top Afghanistan commander for remarks to POLITICO

Major Gen. Peter Fuller, a top U.S. commander in Afghanistan, was relieved of his duties Friday after comments he made to POLITICO disparaging Afghan President Hamid Karzai and calling the government’s leaders “isolated from reality.”
    Regards

Mike

Council Member

Nothing wrong with the truth, but the comments they attributed to him weren't useful. Of course people who live an isolated society struggling to survive don't understand the sacrifices our nation is making, but does it really manner if they do or not? There are a lot of national leaders who aren't articulate in public, but does that reflect on their character and ability to lead? I'm sure most can emphasize with MG Fuller's frustration, but I think he went over the top when he made these thoughts public.

Council Member

Let us say that the US made a mistake in invading Afghanistan.

Now, if that be so and the situation difficult, what is the answer?

May see Post 13 of this link

http://www.arrse.co.uk/current-affai...ghanistan.html

I wonder if it is a comfortable feeling to hear/read and then endure the rumblings forever (as it is for the never ending reminder on Vietnam)!

I wonder if one can give up the ship!

I, for one, would feel that the Army has to obey the orders of the civilian democratically elected government, and it is not for the army to comment. Indeed, if one feels strongly about an issue contrary to the policies of the govt, he should settle it in house or resign and then speak his mind.

At the same time, if seen from the Afghan point of view (as mentioned in Post 13 of the link), one could mull over the issue (on its morality) that the General should have also known that Afghanistan did not request the US to come to their aid (invade, if you will) and so are under no obligation to feel obliged or otherwise.
    Last edited by Ray; 11-05-2011 at 07:43 PM.