Thread: "Five Challenges for Future Infantry"

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

My top five ring similar to everyone else to some degree:

-Return to the business of being a lightfighter...through all skill sets, environments, and against all threats (where appropriate).

-Improve the ability to harness cultural training that enables fighting in an environment where multiple lines of operation are in play. Some of our cultural stuff is about as effective as teaching troops disassembly/assembly and weights of the components of a .50 cal HMG, but nothing about basic employment or proper manipulation.

-Increasing and then sustaining rifle marksmanship training in the face of the "next new rifle" and caliber that is likely to arise. You cannot kill what you cannot hit.

-Mastering the miniaturization of support equipment, like battery chargers, C2 systems.

-In the Marine context, mastering the integration of the Infantry Automatic Rifle will be a challenge I hope to see resolved in my time. I put a few thoughts to paper and sent an article to the Marine Corps Gazette recently, so maybe they will resonate if it is published. Much of the material came from issues raised and the ensuing discussions right here.
    Last edited by jcustis; 05-24-2010 at 06:30 AM.