Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Anonymous attacks (Catch All)

Default NATO report threatens to 'persecute' Anonymous

NATO leaders have been warned that Wikileaks-loving 'hacktivist' collective Anonymous could pose a threat to member states' security, following recent attacks on the US Chamber of Commerce and defence contractor HBGary - and promise to 'persecute' its members.
    Read more: http://www.thinq.co.uk/2011/6/1/nato...#ixzz1O5b4p0e5
    A scrimmage in a Border Station
    A canter down some dark defile
    Two thousand pounds of education
    Drops to a ten-rupee jezail

http://i.imgur.com/IPT1uLH.jpg

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by AdamG View Post
    I suggest these "smart guys" at NATO are looking under the wrong bush.

Google reveals China hacked Gmail accounts of senior U.S. officials... one day after Obama's cyber attack warning

The security breach was revealed as the Pentagon warned that the U.S. may retaliate with military force against countries that sabotage its computers.
    The operative word being may... and if it should be China the answer is may turns to never. I know that, the Chinese know that but do the Americans who make these ridiculous statements know and realise that they are making fools of themselves?

Listen to this clown:

‘If you shut down our power grid, maybe we will put a missile down one of your smokestacks,’ a military official told the Wall Street Journal.
    Yea right.

Latitude 17° 5' 11N, Longitude 120° 54' 24E, altitude 1499m. Right where I want to be.

Minor clarification...

The Pentagon will reclassify cyber attacks as an aggressive act if it causes the equivalent loss of life or damage to infrastructure as a conventional military attack
    Certainly nobody's going to fire off missiles in retaliation for cyber espionage, any more than they would in retaliation for conventional espionage. Of course the US is doing the same thing to China, but the Chinese don't howl to the press when they find out about it.

Everybody spies on everybody else, with whatever tools are available. This is nothing new.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Dayuhan View Post
    Minor clarification...

Certainly nobody's going to fire off missiles in retaliation for cyber espionage, any more than they would in retaliation for conventional espionage. Of course the US is doing the same thing to China, but the Chinese don't howl to the press when they find out about it.

Everybody spies on everybody else, with whatever tools are available. This is nothing new.
    Of course you, I and the Chinese know that there is no chance of US military retaliation in response to a cyber attack.

Now all that remains is to make sure that these idiot "spokesmen" keep their damn mouths closed.

Default NATO report threatens to 'persecute' Anonymous ?

The title intrigued me and I looked at the original source - IMHO a very low profile component of NATO:
    The NATO Parliamentary Assembly is the inter-parliamentary organisation of legislators from the member countries of the North Atlantic Alliance as well as 14 associate members. The Assembly provides a critical forum for international parliamentary dialogue on an array of security, political and economic matters. Its principal objective is to foster mutual understanding among Alliance parliamentarians of the key security challenges facing the transatlantic partnership. Assembly discussions and debates make an important contribution to the development of the consensus that must underpin Alliance policies.
    Or shorter:
    The Assembly is directly funded by member parliaments and governments, and is financially and administratively (my emphasis) separate from NATO itself.
    Link:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NATO_Pa...ntary_Assembly

Sounds like a 'quango' to me, or simply a "jolly" for low profile MPs. Take for example the Vice President from the UK, Hugh Bayley; his own website makes no mention of his NATO PA role and he has only once been a very junior minister for state benefits.

The report itself opens with:
    Until this document has been approved by the Committee on the Civil Dimension of Security, it represents only the views of the Rapporteur.
    The author, Lord Jopling, was a Chief Whip and junior farming minister in the 1980's. Hardly a political "heavyweight".

This is not a NATO report and would be rather different if titled 'Draft report by unknown body using prefix NATO to boost itself'.
    davidbfpo

Quote Originally Posted by JMA View Post
    I suggest these "smart guys" at NATO are looking under the wrong bush.
    See also http://council.smallwarsjournal.com/...ad.php?t=13412

Yea right.
    Dat's da Chicago way!

Latitude 17° 5' 11N, Longitude 120° 54' 24E, altitude 1499m. Right where I want to be.

Of course you, I and the Chinese know that there is no chance of US military retaliation in response to a cyber attack.

Now all that remains is to make sure that these idiot "spokesmen" keep their damn mouths closed.
    I don't know what the US response to a cyber attack that "causes the equivalent loss of life or damage to infrastructure as a conventional military attack" would be. I'm not even sure that a cyber attack can do that kind of damage, outside the realm of theory. I also doubt that we'll have a chance to find out, as there'd be little advantage to anyone in such an attack.

Banned

I don't know what the US response to a cyber attack that "causes the equivalent loss of life or damage to infrastructure as a conventional military attack" would be. I'm not even sure that a cyber attack can do that kind of damage, outside the realm of theory. I also doubt that we'll have a chance to find out, as there'd be little advantage to anyone in such an attack.
    Yes that is wide enough a description with enough wriggle room to never have to react militarily. Phew.

I don't know what the US response to a cyber attack that "causes the equivalent loss of life or damage to infrastructure as a conventional military attack" would be. 1) I'm not even sure that a cyber attack can do that kind of damage, outside the realm of theory. 2) I also doubt that we'll have a chance to find out, as there'd be little advantage to anyone in such an attack.
    1. Then you're not being very imaginative : combined or alone - shut down a nuclear power plant's cooling process, turn off the electrical grid during a blizzard, open sluice gates on dams during a flood, etc, ad naseum.

eg, from Pg 15
    http://www.nps.edu/Academics/Centers...t_dynamics.pdf
    By the hacker’s own assessment, the disagreement over tactics was in part based on a different approach to conceptualizing problems. When the group was discussing attacking oil pipelines, everyone, including the hacker, talked about bombing it. But the hacker moved from this approach to discussing the pipeline as an information system (cf. pp. 58 and 59). It could be shutdown, he proposed, by attacking its control system. This suggestion was not taken up by the other practitioners, evidence to the hacker that they did not see that the world was really composed of systems and networks and that understanding these was essential.18
    This is from 2004 -
    Figure 3: Historical examples of successful cyber attacks
    In the open source realm, documented accounts of cyber attacks have been plentiful in light of
    the security danger such reports pose. There have been many serious instances of cyber attacks
    causing SCADA499 systems and other computer networks to malfunction as a result of accidental
    or targeted and malicious intent. The summary below, presented by category, details incidents of
    recent attacks against and disruptions of critical infrastructure and sensitive computer networks.
    Air and Ground Transportation
    In January of 2003, Continental Airlines based in Newark, NJ was forced to ground flights due to
    system inoperability caused by the SQL “Slammer” virus.500
    Banking Systems
    In January of 2003, Bank of America had 13,000 ATM machines rendered inoperable due to the
    SQL “Slammer” virus.501
    Dams and Waterways
    A well-documented and oft-quoted incident refers to a known case in 1998 when a 12-year old
    hacker broke into the computer system controlling Arizona’s Roosevelt Dam’s floodgates.
    According to sources, the hacker had complete control of the command SCADA system for the
    dam and could have flooded the city of Phoenix.502
    Another well documented incident refers to the April 23, 2000 arrest of Vitek Boden, a man who
    successfully intruded into a Queensland, Australia wastewater management system 46 times. For
    two months, the attacks were a mystery to investigators as Boden dumped hundreds of thousands
    of gallons of waste into parks, rivers, and commercial properties.
    http://www.ists.dartmouth.edu/docs/cyberwarfare.pdf
    2. Little advantage to an active opponent of the United States, other than the whole point of causing mass casualties to an enemy.
    Last edited by AdamG; 06-03-2011 at 11:43 AM.

Default ANONYMOUS vs Booz Allen Hamilton

Hacker group Anonymous continued an assault on government contractors Monday as it released 90,0000 military email addresses, passwords and some other data from military contractor Booz Allen Hamilton.

The group released a 190MB torrent, which eWEEK said includes "login information of personnel from US CENTCOM, SOCOM, the Marine Corps, Air Force facilities, Department of Homeland Security, Department of State and other private sector contractors."

Anonymous, which got a little clever with its seafaring references, said it was shocked at the lack of security on one of the company's servers.
    http://www.pcworld.com/article/23545...ntractors.html

Default Anonymous attacks (Catch All)

Hacktivists with the collective Anonymous are waging an attack on the website for the White House after successfully breaking the sites for the FBI, Department of Justice, Universal Music Group, RIAA and Motion Picture Association of America.
    In response to today’s federal raid on the file sharing service Megaupload, hackers with the online collective Anonymous have broken the websites for the FBI, Department of Justice, Universal Music Group, RIAA, Motion Picture Association of America and Warner Music Group.
    “It was in retaliation for Megaupload, as was the concurrent attack on Justice.org,” Anonymous operative Barrett Brown tells RT on Thursday afternoon.
    http://rt.com/usa/news/anonymous-doj...rsal-sopa-235/

"The government takes down Megaupload? 15 minutes later Anonymous takes down government and record label sites," the Anonymous Twitter feed read.

That note was followed shortly by this one: "Megaupload was taken down w/out SOPA being law. Now imagine what will happen if it passes. The Internet as we know it will end. FIGHT BACK." The tweet referred to the Stop Online Piracy Act, an Internet piracy bill being considered in the U.S. Congress.
    http://www.pcworld.com/businesscente...oj_others.html

In a rampage following the U.S. government’s takedown of file-sharing site MegaUpload, the hacktivist group Anonymous not only knocked the CBS.com website offline on Sunday, but deleted all its files.

As described by Gizmodo, “The CBS takedown wasn’t your regular DDoS attack because if you went to CBS.com at the time Anon attacked it, there was nothing except an index page with a single file. That’s it. Basically, Anonymous gained access to CBS.com and deleted EVERYTHING.”
    http://www.rawstory.com/rs/2012/01/2...-the-internet/

Hack collective Anonymous has apparently targeted the Irish government in its latest DDoS attack wave, protesting proposals for its version of the US SOPA anti-piracy act. The Irish Department of Justice and Department of Finance sites were taken offline early on Wednesday morning this week, a government spokesperson confirmed to the Irish Times, the downtime on each lasting roughly an hour.
    http://www.slashgear.com/anonymous-t...orts-25210673/

Oh those wacky kids...

Hackers from the group Anonymous have broadcast a private conference call between the FBI and Scotland Yard exposing details of an international cybercrime investigation, the FBI has confirmed.

The FBI and Scotland Yard admitted that the security of the call had been breached.
    http://www.guardian.co.uk/technology...-scotland-yard

I made mention of this in the Haditha thread, but Anonymous is beginning to become a threat to national security.

Am I just paranoid about the perception, versus a bona fide threat?

Council Member

Default Cross-reference

In Haditha thread, my post re: Anonymous and V for Vendetta.

Regards

Mike

Can we start killing these guys/gals now?

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by Brett Patron View Post
    There's a so-called "irony" smiley .
    You can add it on top of a post (see above) or in text with ";" followed directly by a ")".

I assume you forgot this, for otherwise I gotta say I'd disrespect you and your ethics totally.

Quote Originally Posted by Brett Patron View Post
    If we can't arrest them, what makes you think that we can locate them to kill them? I doubt they're hiding out in Waziristan.

Council Member

Default A dilemma

We're in trouble on this one.

Our agents inside the OAS can't pin him down, since not even the OAS knows who he is.

Action Service can't destroy him; they don't know who to destroy.

The gendarmes, all forty-eight thousand of them, can't pursue him; they don't know who to pursue.

The police can't arrest him. How can they? They don't know who to arrest.

Without a name, all other proposals are meaningless. The first task, then, is to find it. We get a name, we get a passport and a face. And with a face, we get an arrest. But to find his name, and to do it in secret, is a job of pure detective work.
    I don't think I've ever heard of a political killer in this country. It's not our style, is it?
    We can't find him. He's vanished, just disappeared off the face of the earth. I don't think we really ever had any idea what kind of a man you've been pursuing for the last two weeks.
    There's no question of Her Majesty's Government ever conceding the fact that this Jackal was an Englishman. So far as one can see, there was a period when an Englishman came under suspicion, but he has now been cleared. Certainly, the Jackal masqueraded as an Englishman, but he also masqueraded as a Dane and as a Frenchman. So there's no way of proving his identity at all.
    But if the Jackal wasn't Calthrop, then who the hell was he?
    LINK.

Regards

Mike