Page 38 of 41 FirstFirst ... 283637383940 ... LastLast

Thread: Gazing in the Congo (DRC): the dark heart of Africa (2006-2017)

Council Member

Default Marc-Andre,

to clarify my post's purpose. Mine was much less to suggest historical references (though the monographs are also that) than to point up future possibilities. Those possibilities go well beyond sub-Saharan Africa.

I was intrigued by Latzko's "quality vs quantity" dichotomy, which has been ongoing since it was reflected in the 1400s by the French solution (ordonnance companies, regular soldiers) and the Italian solution (free companies, mercenaries). Both those solutions sought "quality" vs the "quantity" solution of medieval levies. Contamine (chap. 4, Free Companies, Gundpowder and Permanent Armies).

As Scott Fitzsimmons proves in his studies of Congo, Angola and Sierra Leone, "quality" is not guaranteed with either "national armies" or "mercenaries". In neo-Orwellian terms, some pigs are more equal than others; and not all animals are pigs.

The ISSAfrica studies (I linked to only 2 of at least a half dozen on "private security" that are online in its publications) point up the vacuum that exists in Africa in "military effectiveness".

Using Fitzsimmons' definitions:

Military performance, the dependent variable in this paper, is specifically concerned with winning and losing battles. It is the outcome of battle; it is not what a military does in battle. Military performance is not a characteristic of an organization but rather the result of an organization’s activity. This concept does not equate with military effectiveness, another major variable in this paper referring to the range of military behaviours that a military force is capable of undertaking. Armed forces may be highly effective yet still be defeated.

For example, the German Army was arguably the most effective fighting force during both the First and Second World Wars yet it ultimately lost numerous battles and both conflicts. Indeed, the German army is often cited as an example of extraordinary military effectiveness because it fought so well even when faced with more numerous and better armed foes.

Therefore, while military effectiveness and military performance are related concepts, it is important to recognize that they are quite different; military effectiveness is only one possible determinant of military performance. Martin Van Creveld, Fighting Power: German and US Army Performance, 1939-1945 (London, UK: Arms and Armour Press, 1983); Allan Millett, Williamson Murray, and Kenneth Watman, "The Effectiveness of Military Organizations," International Security 11, no. 1 (Summer 1986).
    Millett's seminal 1986 article is here.

If a vacuum exists militarily, it will be filled. And, military vacuums seem likely not only in sub-Saharan Africa, but elsewhere in the world. Few nations can afford a "TdM" and "Legion" to engage in external interventions.

So, while I wouldn't mind going back to 1961 (when I was 19), that wasn't my purpose - avant, avant !! toujours avant !!

Regards

Mike
    Last edited by jmm99; 04-03-2013 at 10:11 PM.

The latest events in Lubumbashi analysed by ICG:

Lubumbashi Takeover: “Governance by substitution” in the DRC

The unexpected occupation of Lubumbashi, the second largest city in the Democratic Republic of Congo (DRC), by 440 Mai-Mai fighters last month is another sign of the central government’s lack of capacity to govern, ensure security or pursue reform. The occupation, which resulted in 35 dead and 53 wounded, serves as a reminder that the country’s crisis is not limited to North Kivu, in eastern Congo, or to warlords.
    By raising the flag of the state of Katanga (independent from 1960-1963) on Moïse Tshombe Square in the centre of Lubumbashi, the Mai-Mai Bakata Katanga group performed a powerful symbolic act. Katangan separatism has haunted Congolese politics since independence in June 1960. The province is the country’s economic crown jewel, as industrial mining activities are concentrated there.
    But despite Katanga’s (and Lubumbashi’s) strategic importance, Mai-Mai Bakata Katanga entered the city with no resistance from the security forces and no protest from the population. The provincial and national governments were taken by surprise.
    http://www.crisisgroupblogs.org/afri...on-in-the-drc/

Hey M-A,

It seems to me that Kinshasa, even under Mobutu's rule, never controlled anything to include Lubumbashi. Back then there was no internet nor cell, and what took place there never mattered and it took weeks to reach the Presidential palace. It was our consulate in 84 that warned Uncle Mo of a potential uprising at the mines and the soldiers he sent only seemed to make things worse.

Lubumbashi and her inhabitants have always lived an exclusive and lackadaisical life living over a thousand clicks from troubled Kinshasa and many more from Gbadolite. Never an uprising and always great cuts of beef from across the border to trade for ivory, malachite, etc.

Regards, Stan
    If you want to blend in, take the bus

Hello Stan,

I do agree that under Mobutu DRC was a uge country without any communications at all, therefore the master of Kinshasa had to have baronets to run the various provinces.

In fact that piece of blog is targetting the new people who try to fix DRC. The idea is to say: look Kabila is governing by substitution and his government does not care. If we want things to go at least forward, please take the time to look at what is DRC today. Not saying it is much different as before in many ways, just saying: look DRC is like that not like whoever guy in an office from Kinshasa to the moon told you.

What I found interresting at the moment it is the come back of the Mulelist (Mayi-Mayi Simba style) ideology. Tells long on were we are today.

While I do know nothing about the particular situation I would tend to frame the situation like that:

1) It is always important to keep in mind that the political and economic interests of the various actors and the state are not the same. A so called head of state could actually live rather well even if he actually only controls a relative small, if important region of the whole state. He will also still get invited to fancy meetings, will be welcomed with military honours, can increase his wealth and store it in relative safe places all the while enjoying his grand status.

2) In a vast country with terrible infrastructure made out a big cultural, linguistic and ethnic patchwork there are lots and lots of actors resisting greater central control and the great friction works against any move. The loyality towards the state is pretty low and thus the man at the top will in general turn towards his people or ethnic group for the important posts which will of course turn off other tribes.

3) The military power of the state, or better the president is thus not only limited by the great lack of capital but also by the exclusive nature of his regime. He arguably rightly fears to include other groups and actors which he tended to exclude economically and politically.

To sum it up those guys and the ruling class are often confronted by a trade-off between the easier conservation of the status quo which can pay off rather well or the riskier expansion of (military) power against the various local baronets. In general it seems to be safer to let many smaller others have it their way in the various provinces and keep the few loyal and decently rewarded units on a tight leash while enjoying life. Why should they care about the little guy or girl?
    Last edited by Firn; 04-17-2013 at 07:37 PM.
    ... "We need officers capable of following systematically the path of logical argument to its conclusion, with disciplined intellect, strong in character and nerve to execute what the intellect dictates"

General Ludwig Beck (1880-1944);
    Speech at the Kriegsakademie, 1935

Hello Firn

Well the situation could be as you mention if we still were in the 80th. Today there is internet, cellphone coverage, skype... Lubumbashi is one computer click away from Kinshasa.
    By not securing Lubumbashi, Kabila just demonstrated to investors that he has no grip even on the crown jewels. This is rather a sign of weakness and incapacity to govern.
    Also, Kabila does not have a couple of decently rewarded capable units among his army. The last events in North Kivu where the battalion trained by the US has been found guilty of mass rapes demonstrates that FARDC are not capable, even those who are trained and paid by US; belgium; China; RSA; France; Angola...

DRC Prime Minister can say at will that you do not take Lubumbashi with a couple of AK and an handfull of machetes... The Mayi-Mayi Bakata Katanga just did it! That's just not a good news for investors. Especially when you are at the same time reviewing the mining code to increase taxes and you impose a ban on raw cooper exports. It is rather the invers (ensure investors that you can secure their money) DRC government should do.

Default Why Mayi-Mayi now?

Marc you wrote (in part):
    The Mayi-Mayi Bakata Katanga just did it! That's just not a good news for investors. Especially when you are at the same time reviewing the mining code to increase taxes and you impose a ban on raw cooper exports. It is rather the invers (ensure investors that you can secure their money) DRC government should do.
    Is it possible that the investors have encouraged the Mayi-Mayi Bakata to pay a visit? Or have the rebels simply spotted an opportunity to act?

Incidentally on another thread wasn't it the Chinese who were the investors? I know long ago there was a substantial Western expatriate community in Katanga and Zambia's Copper Belt.
    davidbfpo

Quote Originally Posted by M-A Lagrange View Post
    Hello Firn

Well the situation could be as you mention if we still were in the 80th. Today there is internet, cellphone coverage, skype... Lubumbashi is one computer click away from Kinshasa.
    I think I stated that I know nothing about the particular situation but tried to organize my thoughts into a framework. It is always nice to have somebody with far more insight who points outs the particulars.

By not securing Lubumbashi, Kabila just demonstrated to investors that he has no grip even on the crown jewels. This is rather a sign of weakness and incapacity to govern.

Also, Kabila does not have a couple of decently rewarded capable units among his army. The last events in North Kivu where the battalion trained by the US has been found guilty of mass rapes demonstrates that FARDC are not capable, even those who are trained and paid by US; belgium; China; RSA; France; Angola...

DRC Prime Minister can say at will that you do not take Lubumbashi with a couple of AK and an handfull of machetes... The Mayi-Mayi Bakata Katanga just did it! That's just not a good news for investors. Especially when you are at the same time reviewing the mining code to increase taxes and you impose a ban on raw cooper exports. It is rather the invers (ensure investors that you can secure their money) DRC government should do.
    It is pretty difficult to understand why the DRC government was unable to protect such a valuable city with it's taxable and stealable ressources. It sounds a like a joke that such a small amount of guys with so little ressources at their disposal can just take over. A small Greek city state around 400 BC would have very likely stopped those guys in their tracks.

A ban on raw copper exports, without the necessary and efficient value-chain in place, which I highly doubt sets mighty incentives for all sorts of illegal activities both from the business side (smuggling & so forth) as well as the government side ( corruption & so forth). It did so in much more stable states, go figure what it could do in the DRC. Sounds like a pretty terrible and destructive approach for the (mining) economy, but I bet you are not surprised by that...
    ... "We need officers capable of following systematically the path of logical argument to its conclusion, with disciplined intellect, strong in character and nerve to execute what the intellect dictates"

Quote Originally Posted by Firn View Post
    I think I stated that I know nothing about the particular situation but tried to organize my thoughts into a framework. It is always nice to have somebody with far more insight who points outs the particulars.
    Don't get us wrong, and we do invite your insight and questions. We all come from very different backgrounds and there should be room for "lost in translation". If we all spoke French together, things would be a little clearer. But, we can't do that because then only a few herein would understand.

Quote Originally Posted by Firn View Post
    It is pretty difficult to understand why the DRC government was unable to protect such a valuable city with it's taxable and stealable ressources. It sounds a like a joke that such a small amount of guys with so little ressources at their disposal can just take over. A small Greek city state around 400 BC would have very likely stopped those guys in their tracks.

A ban on raw copper exports, without the necessary and efficient value-chain in place, which I highly doubt sets mighty incentives for all sorts of illegal activities both from the business side (smuggling & so forth) as well as the government side ( corruption & so forth). It did so in much more stable states, go figure what it could do in the DRC. Sounds like a pretty terrible and destructive approach for the (mining) economy, but I bet you are not surprised by that...
    The problem here, like with most who have never worked in Sub-Sahara, is a lack of understanding and physically seeing this system work. I have been there both in the military and as a civilian. My eyes are still open and I still get what is going on and just how it works. Nobody other than a common local cares about the outcome. The rest of the population that is not on the take has to deal with things as they are. If the day ever comes when the entire public uprise, then we will see something change.

Firn,

Just as Stan said, you are most welcome to comment. My point was merely pointing out the fact that you and Stan are right but, as Stan said, this is sub-sahara Africa so they did the 2.0 revolution and you have access to modern communication. What was possible 30 years ago is just out dated today, even in the middle of the rainny forest (well, if you have the equipment).

Is it possible that the investors have encouraged the Mayi-Mayi Bakata to pay a visit? Or have the rebels simply spotted an opportunity to act?
    David,

This is no opportunity act, in fact you have a complexe combinasion of events and "in the shadow" actors intervention which provocated the situation.
    The Mayi-Mayi were litteraly invited in Lubumbashi by one of the secessionist politician leader, the actual chairman of the Katanga assembly who is against the decentralization and is from South where all the mines are located. But several high ranked individuals from Kabila ethnic familly (the balubakat) also helped the Mayi-Mayi because they want to oppose against the decentralization. Despite he denies it, General Numbi, who use to be head of air forces and police and is a Kabila close collaborator, is said to have host some of the Mayi-Mayi in his farm. The head of central bank, also a balubakat, is also said to have distributed money to the Mayi Mayi... That, because Balubakat are from Northern part of Kataga, a part of Katanga which has no mines. If decentralization is implemented, North Katanga will be left out with no mines revenues and the actual game for Katanga politicians is to access the mines revenues.

In addition, investors in Kataga are Chinese, US, UK, Indian, Canadian, French, Belgian... Basically messing with Lubumbashi is freaking out everybody. I think thatif investments are in danger Kabila believes the Legion will jump on Kolwezi once again to save his regime. I am affraid he got it completely wrong.

Firn,

Actually the Katanga governor, Moise Katumbi, one of the wealthiest man of DRC, just agrees with you:
    UPDATE 2-Congo's copper province governor rejects export ban
    The governor of Katanga, Congo's sole copper and cobalt mining province, said he would not enforce a new ban on the export of copper and cobalt concentrates, putting him on a collision course with the central government.

The mines and finance ministers signed a directive this month giving companies 90 days to clear their stocks of concentrate before the ban comes into effect, after which processing would have to be done in Congo or heavy payments made to the government.

"As the government of Katanga we reject this decision, and we will continue exporting," Moise Katumbi said by telephone. "Congo doesn't have enough electricity to process the finished product."
    http://www.reuters.com/article/2013/...0D53AN20130418

Who said once you touch the bottom you cannot go deeper down?
    Last edited by M-A Lagrange; 04-19-2013 at 06:29 AM.

Thumbs up

@Stan and M-A Lagrange, you do very well indeed to point out the situation on the ground as you witnessed it. I just try to frame the whole a bit mostly for my personal understanding.

Stan, I think your point about the lack of even relative weak political 'unit of action' shows the root cause of such surprising events like the takeover of an important city by a bunch of guys with AKs and machetes. As I said a small Greek polis would have been able to put, over 2500 years ago enough manpower into the field or on the walls to handle such an situation with great ease. In relative terms their capital spending on defense in general and equipment specifically would have been rather high but most important was the political will and (relative) unity.

Lagrange, if the political systems 'worked' in the way you described it the whole event is far easier to explain and fits well into the framework. In this case not only there seems to have been internal political disagreement but outright conflict with the infusion of (enemy) military means.

Nice catch about the copper ban. In our macro textbooks we have long discussion about efficient taxes with in modern market economies. In this case it seems more like an effort of the state to greatly weaken economically and politically the cobalt and copper reagion while getting some revenue in the short run. Moise Katumbi does certainly not want that and can support his refusal with obvious and sound economic thinking.

From Stars and Stripes

Officers in Congo benefitting from mineral trade
    Armed groups and high-ranking officers in the Congolese and Burundian armies are continuing to benefit from the illegal mineral trade in eastern Congo, despite international efforts to clean up the supply chain, according to a report published Tuesday by an environmental watchdog group.

Although there are signs of improvement in Congo's tin and tantalum sectors, the "progress remains localized," said the report by London-based Global Witness.

The gold trade in particular remains a problem. Because gold is easily smuggled across borders and proper checks are not carried out by local buyers in the Great Lakes region or by international traders, tons of the mineral mined in eastern Congo are smuggled to neighboring Burundi every year. Laundered through the Burundian local gold trade, the mineral is then exported to Dubai where it is bought by international traders, said the report.
    \
    http://ap.stripes.com/dynamic/storie...m_medium=email

Manus manum lavat et aurum non olet. Some things will never disappear entirely from the face of this world.

Without knowing the situation on the ground I think that the chances to exclude especially gold from the supply chains running from eastern Kongo to Burundi are pretty slim. Demand and supply, easily ex- and interchangeable good. Kongolose gold once intermixed with one from Burundi won't smell much more differently and quite a few mine owners in Burundi might have found a quite distant gold mine on their own claim.

Lots of contacts and movement across the border which is certainly not under the central control of the gov. which should also have no power over the mines. Aren't they also rather closer to relative well internationally integrated market of Burundi? The infrastructure should be rather shabby and insecure in any direction raising transport costs a great deal.
    Last edited by Firn; 05-09-2013 at 07:45 PM.

Without knowing the situation on the ground I think that the chances to exclude especially gold from the supply chains running from eastern Kongo to Burundi are pretty slim.
    The funniest in that story is the fact that it is in Uganda that the real gold business is taking place. Gold in Uganda is supposed to come from Uganda and South Sudan, officially. They could also mention the moon, it would be as true.

Sad but true: training by the best of the best does not change anything in the field

US-trained Congolese battalion among units accused of rape
    For U.S. diplomats and military officials who were involved in training a Congolese army unit, a troubling question loomed: Would the 391st Commando Battalion serve as protectors of the population or would they revert to acts of sexual violence once on the battlefield?

A United Nations report released this week indicates that their worst fears have been realized and that efforts at building up a Congolese unit of benevolent soldiers has failed.

The report, issued Wednesday by the United Nations Joint Human Rights Office, accused members of the 391st Commando Battalion — which was trained by special forces troops assigned to U.S. Africa Command — and other Democratic Republic of Congo troops of engaging in a range of atrocities, including the mass rape of women and young girls in eastern Congo.
    http://www.stripes.com/news/africa/u...m_medium=email

Default May be there is a light at the end of the tunnel...

Or at least an end of the tunnel if no light.

Pressure Mounting on U.S. over Congo Violence
    The U.S. House of Representatives is currently preparing to consider a bipartisan bill, unanimously passed by a subcommittee Wednesday, aimed at supporting international efforts to forge a peace deal in the long-running crisis in Congo.

The bill is an “important step forward in raising awareness within the U.S. Congress and among all Americans of this horrific and tragic crisis in the DRC,” Representative Karen Bass, one of the bill’s lead authors, told IPS.

“To date, this legislation has the support of nearly 60 Democrats and Republicans in the House and efforts are currently underway to introduce a similar piece of legislation in the Senate. It has also received significant support from the NGO community.”

Supporters say they expect that number to increase.

Recent months have also seen a strengthening of advocacy on the part of the Congolese diaspora here in Washington, as well as from the rest of the country and Canada. Legislators say this support has been key in helping the House bill gain the legislative backing it has.

One element of the new bill would respond to a longstanding key demand, urging the creation of a special envoy from the president to the DRC and the surrounding Great Lakes region.

“This legislation calls for such an envoy, and Secretary [John] Kerry, in testimony before both the House and the Senate, has indicated his plan to make an appointment,” Bass said.

“I am pleased that this effort is making progress and urge the secretary to move swiftly to make his decision and develop a comprehensive strategy that relies on diplomacy and engagement to address the complex set of issues that stand as barriers to peace and stability in the DRC and the region.”
    http://www.ipsnews.net/2013/05/press...ongo-violence/

Pressure Mounting on U.S. over Congo Violence
    We will pass something that will make everybody feel very good about themselves, allow people to fly over and stay at that beautiful hotel on the lake in Bukavu (the name of which I forget) for weeks at a time and other than that nothing at all will change.
    "We fight, get beat, rise, and fight again." Gen. Nathanael Greene

Sad but true: training by the best of the best does not change anything in the field

US-trained Congolese battalion among units accused of rape
    The problem is that training can't do it by itself if the leadership and entire ethos of the force remains the same. Stan mentioned an incident that illustrated this sometime back. It dealt with a guy who went to the States for training, did well and when he got back to Congo, he went back to being a Congolese soldier.

I flew some people into fairly remote spot once. They were going to conduct conflict resolution courses. I shook my head then and I had only been there a few months. But we continue to do the same. This quote from the Stars and Stripes story M-A cited:
    As part of the training effort, a sexual violence prevention program was created by a team of U.S. trainers that included AFRICOM experts.
    We aren't really serious about doing something about the problem. We are serious about looking like we are doing something and feeling good about that. And careers. Somebody or several somebodys got promoted for creating and implementing that sexual violence prevention program.
    Last edited by davidbfpo; 05-21-2013 at 10:38 AM.
    "We fight, get beat, rise, and fight again." Gen. Nathanael Greene

Quote Originally Posted by carl View Post
    We aren't really serious about doing something about the problem. We are serious about looking like we are doing something and feeling good about that. And careers. Somebody or several somebodys got promoted for creating and implementing that sexual violence prevention program.
    Carl,
    Couldn't agree more. What are we doing there ? For that matter, if 20,000 peacekeepers can't do anything, what are (ahem) a few AFRICOM experts and 60 democrats and republicans going to accomplish

The last Group of Experts report on DRC has been leaked... Once again.

I let you make your personal opinion on this document.
    To me it looks like a good compilation of HRW, Enough, Global Witness and ICG reports published last year.
    Nothing new except on the quality of the censorship by the UN machinary...
    Too bad but it is worst reading it. Just to make an opinion.

Here is a link to the Afrikarabia blog where you can find the report (In english) with a presentation of the main points.
    Afrikarabia is one of the very rare quality blog on DRC (in French only but the report is in English)
    http://afrikarabia2.blogs.courrierinternational.com/

Default In the depth of the darkness

ICG released its last report on DRC. This piece looks in depth into local conflict in South Kivu.
    Through the exemple of the Ruzizi plain conflict, ICG tries to expose the complexity of the ultra local conflicts driving the grand regional conflicts.
    Idealy that is the level which peacekeeping and stabilization mission should address...
    Understanding Conflict in Eastern Congo (I): The Ruzizi Plain

Africa Report N°20623 Jul 2013
    The February 2013 framework agreement signed by the UN, African organisations and eleven regional countries, as well as the deployment of an intervention brigade, represent yet another of many attempts to end the crisis in the Kivus. Conflicts in this region, however, stem mainly from competition between communities for land and economic opportunities and require tailored, grassroots solutions that should go beyond a military response and promote local conflict resolution. Those seeking to secure peace in the Kivus should gain sound knowledge of local dynamics and design strategies to tackle the root causes of violence and improve relations between communities.

The imperative of pursuing local responses to the crisis is illustrated by the longstanding conflict in the Ruzizi plain, located in Uvira territory at the border of South Kivu and Burundi. In a context of impunity and distrust, the assassination on 25 April 2012 of the Ruzizi plain traditional leader, who belongs to the Barundi community, sparked renewed violence between it and a rival community, the Bafuliro. Despite several reconciliation attempts by the central government and the UN Stabilisation Mission in Congo (MONUSCO), tensions persist in 2013.

The Bafuliro and Barundi have fought over land and traditional leadership in the Ruzizi plain since colonial times. Tensions remain high because of socio-economic underdevelopment, the mismanagement of land affairs and poor local governance due to weaknesses in provincial and central administration. Instead of acting as secondary figures, traditional chiefs play a leading role in Congo’s politics and administration. Perceived as influential during elections, they are part of political patronage networks and have support in national and provincial institutions.

Despite a decade of efforts to rebuild the Congolese state, the government remains ineffective in rural areas, leaving customary chiefs, whose role is recognised by the constitution but not fully defined, virtually in charge. They use their key position between the state and communities to benefit from any state and international investments and to protect their own interests. This fuels conflict, with intercommunal rivalries playing out in state institutions and among local and national politicians.

In 2012, aware of the hostility between the Bafuliro and Barundi, MONUSCO and local, provincial and national authorities attempted to mediate between the two communities. But although the leaders of both signed in September 2012 a code of conduct, fighting resumed shortly afterwards. The natural death of the Bafuliro traditional chief in December 2012 has led to a lull in violence, but the conflict, although, dormant, could easily flare up again.

The failure of mediation shows that local conflicts need local resolution strategies. These include controlling customary powers, setting up impartial and effective institutions to regulate and administer land, reducing armed violence and initiating intercommunal dialogue. Some of these measures will, admittedly, be more difficult to implement than others. But without an understanding of local issues, the peace process initiated by the UN, African Union (AU), Southern African Development Community (SADC), International Conference on the Great Lakes Region (ICGLR) and regional countries risks addressing symptoms rather than causes of conflict in the Kivus. Stabilisation initiatives in eastern Congo have so far been limited to military action against armed groups and top-down state building. This report, the first in a series that focuses on the local politics of conflicts in eastern Congo, recommends a complementary bottom-up approach aimed at improving intercommunal relations and restoring peace at the local level.

RECOMMENDATIONS

To enhance control of customary powers

To the DRC government and local authorities:

1. Disseminate the laws on customary powers to the population and customary authorities, and train customary chiefs so they can assume their functions in accordance with the law.

To improve land management

2. Develop a land management code for traditional leaders in Uvira territory until more complete land reform that redefines the role of traditional authorities in land management is in place.

3. Provide land management institutions (the local courts and land administration) with human and financial resources; ensure all ethnic groups in Uvira territory are adequately represented in these institutions; and set up a district court in Uvira to bring land justice closer to claimants and speed up procedures.

To the UN and donors:

4. Establish, under the auspices of UN-Habitat, a land committee in Uvira territory that will identify the sources of land disputes and define a local land dispute resolution strategy.

5. Increase UN presence and coordination in Uvira by deploying staff of the UN Development Programme (UNDP), the UN Food and Agriculture Organization (FAO) and the UN-Habitat who will bring expertise in land dispute resolution and agricultural development to MONUSCO’s office in Uvira.

To restore dialogue between communities

To the UN and donors:

6. Commission a study on the local non-governmental organisations involved in conflict resolution in order to identify impartial local partners and strengthen their capacity to mediate disputes.

7. Commission a study to identify all parties to the conflict in order to organise truly inclusive activities to promote peace and intercommunal dialogue.

8. Disseminate, through the consultative local forum, the agreement signed by the Barundi and Bafuliro leaders, organise intercommunal meetings and promote joint development projects.

To reduce armed violence

9. Launch investigations to identify the leaders of the main armed groups, arrest and try them, as well as those responsible for intercommunal clashes, outside South Kivu province.

To the DRC government, the UN and donors:

10. Produce a detailed intelligence report about the economic and logistical networks of armed groups that would inform a strategy to cut off their resources. The report should be a joint work of the UN group of experts and the officers of the joint border verification mechanism deployed by the ICGLR.

11. Implement a disarmament, demobilisation and reintegration program (DDR) that prioritises the communities of Uvira territory and the socio-economic reintegration of a majority of former Congolese combatants.

12. Deploy Congolese security forces that are not from South Kivu, increase the number of UN peacekeepers, and ensure both forces prioritise the fight against smuggling.

13. Formalise the mineral trade and use a share of the mining revenues to fund development programs targeting former combatants and the local population.

Nairobi/Brussels, 23 July 2013
    http://www.crisisgroup.org/en/region...la-ruzizi.aspx