Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Christianity and proselytizing in the military (thread slice)

Council Member

Quote Originally Posted by jkm_101_fso
    You would be suprised how little pride some Soldiers have in themselves and how quick they are to threaten their peers and superiors with I.G., EO, Congressionals or Commander's Open Door (Usually the CG). Certainly not the norm, but just a few can ruin it for everyone.
    Very dependent upon the unit. In all the places that I've served, I only saw such behavior in two - during my stint with TRADOC, where it was a damn epidemic, and while I was with a Corps-level MI unit in Germany, where it was common enough to have the NCOs and officers walking on eggs all the time.

In TRADOC, it was clearly due to the nature of the beast, dealing with trainees fresh out of basic, but still very cherry to the Army and basic having failed to truly develop that soldier pride - but having succeeded very well in training them how to work the complaint system. In Germany, there were significant problems with Bn and higher leadership that had a severe negative impact upon morale (it was also in the middle of the drawdown in Europe period).

Other than those two examples, I have never served in a unit where the statement quoted above applies.

Quote Originally Posted by Jedburgh View Post
    Very dependent upon the unit. In all the places that I've served, I only saw such behavior in two - during my stint with TRADOC, where it was a damn epidemic, and while I was with a Corps-level MI unit in Germany, where it was common enough to have the NCOs and officers walking on eggs all the time.

In TRADOC, it was clearly due to the nature of the beast, dealing with trainees fresh out of basic, but still very cherry to the Army and basic having failed to truly develop that soldier pride - but having succeeded very well in training them how to work the complaint system. In Germany, there were significant problems with Bn and higher leadership that had a severe negative impact upon morale (it was also in the middle of the drawdown in Europe period).

Other than those two examples, I have never served in a unit where the statement quoted above applies.

Good point, it certainly depends on the unit. Since I left "the line" for my current assignment (AC/RC, non-deployable) I have noticed a rash of issues. Certainly far more than when I was in a Fires BN, serving with people you have to combat with. Most the unit's problems are with senior NCOs and some officers. Any unit consisting of all E-7s and above is bound to have some issues. Pulling the IG, EO, Congressional and CO Open Door cards aren't common, but much more prevalent here, it seems. Frankly, I was amazed by the lack of hesistation by some to threaten it. On occasion, they would go through with it, usually with no results. If a Soldier, particularly a leader, abuses the system and threatens it constantly, you just have to call their bluff. Then you'll have the satisfaction when nothing happens and they look like fools.
    Sir, what the hell are we doing?

Council Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jedburgh View Post
    But I certainly understand your perspective from the private sector. I will be leaving my current position in the next few weeks - my first foray into the private sector - due to repercussions from my bringing up a business-ethics issue involving senior execs. As you stated, its nothing overtly linked that could be clearly construed as retaliation - and thus open them up to litigation - but it is insidious and malicious in manner that I never saw in 22 years in uniform.
    Sorry you're having to deal with that idiocy. I know a lot of people who have had to deal with problems like that. It often seems as if you get punished for doing the right thing. I also want to point out that the experiences I have had were not restricted to the private sector. Actually, I've heard of problems just as often in many government and public service jobs. Don't even get me started on what its like at educational institutions these days. I'm sure Selil has many stories with regard to that!

Adam L

(maybe worthy of its own thread, but...)

At the moment, I'm sitting in an academic presentation about the shared military experience of the doughboys in WWI and how it shaped their worldview compared with the homefront.

The most criticized institution among WWI soldiers? The YMCA, which was in large measure the "USO" of the war in their reach and scope. They were accused of war profiteering, draft evasion, and above all, proselytizing.
    Soldiers consistently complained about how YMCA secretaries would wait until the 'movie shows' were packed with soldiers wanting to escape the war for an hour or so before starting a group prayer. The YMCA would give away religious-themed cards for soldiers to write letters home, but would charge for everything else.

Seems this is not really a new phenomenon...

And now back to our regularly-scheduled debate
    Brant
    Wargaming and Strategy Gaming at Armchair Dragoons
    Military news and views at GrogNews

“their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of ‘rights’… and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure.” Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers 1959

Play more wargames!

This was something of a common complaint going back to the various temperance-type movements in the post-Civil War army (and possibly before). Interesting discussion, and might well be worth a thread of its own.

Social outlooks and "baggage" can have an important impact on our performance in Small Wars, so the discussion is (IMO) important.
    "On the plains and mountains of the American West, the United States Army had once learned everything there was to learn about hit-and-run tactics and guerrilla warfare."
    T.R. Fehrenbach This Kind of War

Thread was cleaved sorry if there are any lost souls.... (ack can't believe I said that) bad sammy.
    Sam Liles
    Selil Blog
    Don't forget to duck Secret Squirrel
    The scholarship of teaching and learning results in equal hatred from latte leftists and cappuccino conservatives.
    All opinions are mine and may or may not reflect those of my employer depending on the chance it might affect funding, politics, or the setting of the sun. As such these are my opinions you can get your own.

Default Not to put too fine a point on it...

Quote Originally Posted by BayonetBrant View Post
    (maybe worthy of its own thread, but...)

The most criticized institution among WWI soldiers? The YMCA, which was in large measure the "USO" of the war in their reach and scope. They were accused of war profiteering, draft evasion, and above all, proselytizing.
    Soldiers consistently complained about how YMCA secretaries would wait until the 'movie shows' were packed with soldiers wanting to escape the war for an hour or so before starting a group prayer. The YMCA would give away religious-themed cards for soldiers to write letters home, but would charge for everything else.
    Brandt - YMCA = Young Men's Christian Association - truth in advertizing

Now back to our regularly scheduled program
    Hacksaw
    Say hello to my 2 x 4

And that, is the rub. If you're going to be open-minded and accepting, how can you condemn bigotry?

Quote Originally Posted by Hacksaw View Post
    Brandt - YMCA = Young Men's Christian Association - truth in advertizing

Now back to our regularly scheduled program
    No - I totally get it. The point is that the soldiers saw it as a service organization, and were frustrated by the way in which the preaching was injected. I'm not saying its right/wrong, just that complaints about preaching in the ranks has been around for a while.
    Brant

“their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of ‘rights’… and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure.” Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers 1959

Play more wargames!

Talking Back in the day . . .

There we were in BCT, getting ID (AKA Dog) tags made.
    They asked me "Religion?"
    I said, "None."
    My Drill Sergeant roared, "Everyone in this company has a religion."
    I said, "No preference."
    My Drill Sergeant roared, "Everyone in this company has a religious preference."
    I said, "Buddhism."
    My Drill Sergeant roared, "Everyone in this company has an American religion."
    I said, "Methodist."
    My Drill Sergeant smiled.
    Vir prudens non contra ventum mingit
    The greatest educational dogma is also its greatest fallacy: the belief that what must be learned can necessarily be taught. — Sydney J. Harris

To quote my father;

"Episcopalian. It doesn't interfere with your politics or religion."

I saw a bunch of people run thru the wringer for being the wrong brand of Christian. You can imagine how the 2 wiccans in the unit were treated.
    I've heard of that happening to a Wiccan I knew who was in the USAF and I have heard of other instances as well. On the flip side, there is a touch of a persecution complex inherent in the symbology of most of the Wican traditions in the US.

Quote Originally Posted by reed11b View Post
    I have seen army chaplains refuse to try and meet the spiritual needs of non-Christians (primarily Buddhist and Wiccan).
    Reed, just a quick note here, the vast majority of Arm chaplains are incapable of performing basic Wiccan rituals (depending on tradition, you need both a man and a women, and they both have to be at least 1st degree initiates; usually 2nd or 3rd in the US traditions and it does vary from trad line to trad line). I certainly couldn't fault a Christian priest or minister for refusing to be involved in any Wiccan ritual either. However, if by "meet the spiritual needs" you mean something like counselling in a non-ritual setting, that would strike me as being against their priesthood oaths.
    Sic Bisquitus Disintegrat...
    Marc W.D. Tyrrell, Ph.D.
    Institute of Interdisciplinary Studies,
    Senior Research Fellow,
    The Canadian Centre for Intelligence and Security Studies, NPSIA
    Carleton University
    http://marctyrrell.com/

Seems this is not really a new phenomenon...
    Buncha amatoors ! Take a look at the armies and chaplains in the 30 years war, especially the Catholic armies under the Ferdinand II of Austria - pros, real pros.
    Marc W.D. Tyrrell, Ph.D.
    Senior Research Fellow,
    Carleton University

Quote Originally Posted by marct View Post
    Buncha amatoors ! Take a look at the armies and chaplains in the 30 years war, especially the Catholic armies under the Ferdinand II of Austria - pros, real pros.
    I always love the scene in the Four Muskeeters when the priests are blessing the cannons as they fire on the French Hugenot infidels

I had a retired Jesuit priest as my main French instructor at DLI--those pros are still pros

Tom

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Odom View Post
    I had a retired Jesuit priest as my main French instructor at DLI--those pros are still pros
    Oh, yeah! The Black Pope probably had the finest intel network with the best field operative for a couple of hundred years.

Marc
    Marc W.D. Tyrrell, Ph.D.
    Senior Research Fellow,
    Carleton University

I certainly couldn't fault a Christian priest or minister for refusing to be involved in any Wiccan ritual either. However, if by "meet the spiritual needs" you mean something like counselling in a non-ritual setting, that would strike me as being against their priesthood oaths.
    I meant refusing to provide space or work w/ soldiers requests to meet spiritual needs. My chaplain on deployment worked w/ the two Buddhists in the unit by providing time and a quite space for there meditation and linked the soldiers together so they could have spiritual conversation. I think that's all you can ask for, but I think it IS fair to ask for that. A call to prayer at a unit function referring to God is fairly safe since most religions have a God. Asking for us to take Jesus into our hearts at a unit function is not, since Jesus is part of the Christian faith only. Being told to make sure my soldiers were ready for chapel service but not asking them if they want to go is not ok. Fairly mild cases sited, and my experiences have been mostly positive, but pretending that there is NO problem is not likely to be productive. Being aware and maintaining or current forward progress is the way to go in my book, for what it's worth.
    Reed
    P.S. my tags say Buddhist, but I tend to let spiritualty slide on deployment, I was not one of the two sited above.

I do want to say that every military chaplain I've ever met has been a fantastic person - and I grew up in the Army going to mass every week.

The problems I saw were with a unit from Aberdeen about 12 years ago, and with a SCARNG unit in 2000-2001.
    Last edited by BayonetBrant; 09-05-2008 at 11:28 PM. Reason: fixing years - I can't dü maths
    Brant

Play more wargames!

Council Member

Reed, just a quick note here, the vast majority of Arm chaplains are incapable of performing basic Wiccan rituals (depending on tradition, you need both a man and a women, and they both have to be at least 1st degree initiates; usually 2nd or 3rd in the US traditions and it does vary from trad line to trad line). I certainly couldn't fault a Christian priest or minister for refusing to be involved in any Wiccan ritual either. However, if by "meet the spiritual needs" you mean something like counselling in a non-ritual setting, that would strike me as being against their priesthood oaths.
    This I think brings up a few important questions. First of all, what exactly are the duties of a chaplain. Second, are any of them contradictory. Third, is there, and if so when, a conflict of interest for chaplains.

Adam L

Default Chaplain duty

One of the big conflicts of interest for Army Chaplains that I run into is that they are often tasked w/ MH counseling. This (theoretically) is supposed to be the domain of Army behavioral health. However two factors affect this. One, there are far more chaplains then there are therapists in the Army. Two, Chaplains deploy for the length of the deployment w/ the unit, Doctorate level therapists do not. Many Chaplains are actually very skilled at counseling in a behavioral health capacity and some of them appear to be better trained then the Army therapists. Some however have had almost no training in behavioral health and/or push spiritual solutions even when they are not called for. I would state the weakness in this case is with the Army Behavioral health and Chaplains have done mostly a bang-up job helping to fill in the cracks. Some of the best re-integration briefings I have seen have been made by Army Chaplains.
    Reed