SMALL WARS COUNCIL
Go Back   Small Wars Council > Military Art & Science Applied > Training & Education

Training & Education Developing effective, thinking, proficient Small Warriors.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-11-2015   #301
SWJ Blog
Council Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 8,796
Default Six Rules for Wargaming: The Lessons of Millennium Challenge ’02

Six Rules for Wargaming: The Lessons of Millennium Challenge ’02

Entry Excerpt:



--------
Read the full post and make any comments at the SWJ Blog.
This forum is a feed only and is closed to user comments.
SWJ Blog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2015   #302
SWJ Blog
Council Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 8,796
Default Wargaming Small Wars (merged thread)

Six Rules for Wargaming: The Lessons of Millennium Challenge ’02

Read the full post and make any comments at the SWJ Blog.

Last edited by davidbfpo; 11-11-2015 at 09:23 PM. Reason: for reference
SWJ Blog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2015   #303
SWJ Blog
Council Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 8,796
Default Work: Wargaming Critical in Dynamic Security Environment

Work: Wargaming Critical in Dynamic Security Environment

Entry Excerpt:



--------
Read the full post and make any comments at the SWJ Blog.
This forum is a feed only and is closed to user comments.
SWJ Blog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2016   #304
Rex Brynen
Council Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Montreal
Posts: 1,594
Default Sandhurst Kreigsspiel

The Royal Military Academy Sandhurst has recently reintroduced manual wargaming into the curriculum—part of a slow renaissance of manual wargaming methods at a few professional military education institutions in the UK, US, and elsewhere.

You'll find a description of their simple platoon-level game and how it is used at PAXsims: https://paxsims.wordpress.com/2016/0...t-kreigsspiel/
__________________
They mostly come at night. Mostly.
Rex Brynen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 Week Ago   #305
davidbfpo
Council Member
 
davidbfpo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: UK
Posts: 9,896
Default Wargaming in the classroom

Hat tip to WoTR for this article by:
Quote:
Dr. James Lacey is the Professor of Strategic Studies at the Marine Corps War College.
The focus is on the use of wargaming in the classroom for strategic studies, but somehow I think it is worth adding here:http://warontherocks.com/2016/04/war...om-an-odyssey/
__________________
davidbfpo
davidbfpo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 Week Ago   #306
AmericanPride
Council Member
 
AmericanPride's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: "Turn left at Greenland." - Ringo Starr
Posts: 928
Default

There is a series of board games by GMT games starting with Cuba Libra and ending most recently with Falling Sky: The Gallic Revolt against Caesar simulating, to some extent, the complexities of COIN conflicts. I'm curious if anyone else is familiar with them and would like to know your thoughts.

Also - I recently introduced into my Reserve unit a variety of the Matrix Games exercise and it met with great applause from the participants (junior and mid-career analysts and officers). War-gaming isn't just about mapping out courses of actions but can also be useful in juicing the creativity and analytical focus necessary for tackling complex problems. In this context, 'realism' is not always welcome or even helpful.
__________________
When I am weaker than you, I ask you for freedom because that is according to your principles; when I am stronger than you, I take away your freedom because that is according to my principles. - Louis Veuillot
AmericanPride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 Week Ago   #307
Brian Train
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 9
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmericanPride View Post
There is a series of board games by GMT games starting with Cuba Libra and ending most recently with Falling Sky: The Gallic Revolt against Caesar simulating, to some extent, the complexities of COIN conflicts. I'm curious if anyone else is familiar with them and would like to know your thoughts.

Also - I recently introduced into my Reserve unit a variety of the Matrix Games exercise and it met with great applause from the participants (junior and mid-career analysts and officers). War-gaming isn't just about mapping out courses of actions but can also be useful in juicing the creativity and analytical focus necessary for tackling complex problems. In this context, 'realism' is not always welcome or even helpful.
I co-designed A Distant Plain (Afghanistan 2003-13) with Volko Ruhnke, and I am finishing up Colonial Twilight (Algeria 1954-62) right now.
Another game I designed in 2000 on the Algerian War inspired some parts of Volko's COIN system.
The first COIN system game was Andean Abyss, on Colombia in the 1990s: Cuba Libre was the second.
Obviously I am "pro" these games!

Matrix gaming can be a wonderful tool as well.
Good for you for using it.

Brian
Brian Train is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 Week Ago   #308
AmericanPride
Council Member
 
AmericanPride's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: "Turn left at Greenland." - Ringo Starr
Posts: 928
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Train View Post
I co-designed A Distant Plain (Afghanistan 2003-13) with Volko Ruhnke, and I am finishing up Colonial Twilight (Algeria 1954-62) right now.
Another game I designed in 2000 on the Algerian War inspired some parts of Volko's COIN system.
The first COIN system game was Andean Abyss, on Colombia in the 1990s: Cuba Libre was the second.
Obviously I am "pro" these games!

Matrix gaming can be a wonderful tool as well.
Good for you for using it.

Brian
Thanks Brian. I have the most recent reprinting of A Distant Plain on order - so Fire in the Lake and Liberty or Death are keeping me busy in the interim. When you have time, could you elaborate on some of the concepts you thought important to include in the game design and how you arrived at deciding what to include and what to exclude?
__________________
When I am weaker than you, I ask you for freedom because that is according to your principles; when I am stronger than you, I take away your freedom because that is according to my principles. - Louis Veuillot
AmericanPride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 Week Ago   #309
Brian Train
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 9
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmericanPride View Post
Thanks Brian. I have the most recent reprinting of A Distant Plain on order - so Fire in the Lake and Liberty or Death are keeping me busy in the interim. When you have time, could you elaborate on some of the concepts you thought important to include in the game design and how you arrived at deciding what to include and what to exclude?
Thanks for your pre-order! I understand that copies will be heading out Real Soon Now.

I think the best answer to your question is in our Designer's Notes to A Distant Plain, which you can read in the Playbook available here: http://www.gmtgames.com/adistantplai...BOOK-FINAL.pdf

I go into some detail about the differences between the four factions in the game, why they are the way they are, and what is represented in the game by the map, pieces and game mechanics.

I think Volko and I would be pretty confident in letting these remarks stand for themselves.

In designing the original volume of the COIN system, Andean Abyss, Volko was partly inspired by another counterinsurgency game I had designed in 2000, "Algeria" (https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/...ence-1954-1962).
This game is part of a family of games using variations on a common system I had devised for COIN: in order of design they were Tupamaro (Uruguay 1968-72), Shining Path (Peru 1980s-90s), Algeria (1954-62), Andartes (Greece 1947-49), Kandahar (2009 ca.) and EOKA (Cyprus 1955-59).
These games feature area movement, asymmetrical force structures and menus of missions for each side, and particular rules to reflect the nature of each conflict (Peru's internal war, organizational morale and friction, external sanctuaries, etc.).
The latter two games have more moving parts than the others and incorporate further features such as criminal gangs and non-state militias.
You can look up all of these on Boardgamegeek.com for a look at their components (except EOKA, I am about to publish that one shortly).

Meanwhile, in things COINy I am working through Colonial Twilight, the first GMT COIN system game to be designed for 2 factions, not 4. Quite a change but still has the essence of the system.

Brian
Brian Train is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Tags
coin, game, simulation, wargame

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Turkey mainly, Iraq and the Kurds (2006-2014) SWJED Middle East 166 05-12-2014 11:41 PM
Inspirational Small Wars Quotes/Images SWCAdmin Small Wars Council / Journal 1 03-13-2014 05:46 AM
How effective have Arab armies been at 'small wars'? davidbfpo Middle East 6 01-10-2014 09:57 AM
How Insurgencies End Jedburgh Historians 113 06-20-2011 08:04 PM
Small wars and Science Fiction M-A Lagrange Miscellaneous Goings On 1 10-29-2009 04:56 PM


All times are GMT. The time now is 01:43 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8. ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Registered Users are solely responsible for their messages.
Operated by, and site design © 2005-2009, Small Wars Foundation