Thread: "Bring your kids to your recall to active duty" day?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

I don't think that anyone (or at least very few) join the Army with the intention of dodging their obligations but the IRR is just not a well thought out system. Basically, you are telling these people that for upwards of six years after they get out they have to be prepared for the very slim possibility that they will have to drop everything at a moments notice and report back to duty. Come on. That's just ridiculous.

I also have to wonder if the negative publicity that this story is generating is really worth the loss of a truck driver who has likely not driven a truck in four years.

SFC W
    Last edited by Uboat509; 03-02-2009 at 02:12 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Uboat509 View Post
    I don't think that anyone (or at least very few) join the Army with the intention of dodging their obligations but the IRR is just not a well thought out system. Basically, you are telling these people that for upwards of six years after they get out they have to be prepared for the very slim possibility that they will have to drop everything at a moments notice and report back to duty. Come on. That's just ridiculous.
    Not at all.

The ridiculous thing in the story is the war.

Nobody would think that such a thing as an IRR would be a bad idea if it was about a war of necessity. Europeans were used to the idea that they could be called up for 25 years after leaving the army - and almost all of them didn't even volunteer!