Thread: Afghanistan ROE Change

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default I'm not sure that's true.

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony Hoh View Post
    Gen McChrystal is smarter than me
    On this one:
    I will really be watching with interest on how this gets implemented/enforced.
    Me, too. I'll give it a month or two before it quietly disappears. Not a smart move on several levels...

Quote Originally Posted by Ken White View Post
    On this one:Me, too. I'll give it a month or two before it quietly disappears. Not a smart move on several levels...
    I agree ken, it is an order with the best of intentions that will more than likely have the worst of results. Civillian seems to be a more ambiguous word than ever. I touched on the idea of the insurgent who by attacks ISAF forces and then scurries off to the local villages where he is supported by friends and family. I think this order plays too much to the advantage of the enemy. Not all non-combatants are truely non-combatants. I learned this the hard way while doing peace operations in the Legion.
    See things through the eyes of your enemy and you can defeat him.

Default Ok get the drawbacks everyone sees right off

What I haven't necessarily seen is anyone talk about the Afghan piece of this puzzle. What yall are sayin seems pretty ISAF centric. How would you see that piece
    Any man can destroy that which is around him, The rare man is he who can find beauty even in the darkest hours

Cogitationis poenam nemo patitur

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Humphrey View Post
    What I haven't necessarily seen is anyone talk about the Afghan piece of this puzzle. What yall are sayin seems pretty ISAF centric. How would you see that piece
    I would say given the history, culture, religion, recent issues with the locals many Afghans may see it as weakness, the Talibs will certainly see it as weakness and start exploiting it soon.

If I were a Mujahideen commander I would direct units to start settign up shop in close proximity to civillian compounds. I amy even move my staff and command assets into one and do some clear, hold, opress operations to get the point across to the locals that we are strong and the ISAF are a bunch of majnoon who have lost their will to fight.

Is that the piece you were speaking of?
    See things through the eyes of your enemy and you can defeat him.

Quote Originally Posted by Blackjack View Post
    I would say given the history, culture, religion, recent issues with the locals many Afghans may see it as weakness, the Talibs will certainly see it as weakness and start exploiting it soon.
    Absolutely. One recurring theme in talking to Afghans was "The Russians were jerks, but at least they never ran from a fight." ISAF is already too prone to break contact. I can't see this helping that.

Other than that, if we have to run when we're getting shot at, can we at least shoot illum rounds over their houses?
    "The status quo is not sustainable. All of DoD needs to be placed in a large bag and thoroughly shaken. Bureaucracy and micromanagement kill."
    -- Ken White

"With a plan this complex, nothing can go wrong." -- Schmedlap

"We are unlikely to usefully replicate the insights those unencumbered by a military staff college education might actually have." -- William F. Owen

Default NO. Absolutely not!

Quote Originally Posted by IntelTrooper View Post
    Other than that, if we have to run when we're getting shot at, can we at least shoot illum rounds over their houses?
    We cannot risk setting a Goat afire. Heaven forbid we burn a Poppy Crop -- neither Solatium Payments for the Goat or Damage Claims for the crop so caused are authorized.

We cannot risk setting a Goat afire. Heaven forbid we burn a Poppy Crop -- neither Solatium Payments for the Goat or Damage Claims for the crop so caused are authorized.

I was afraid of that. I guess those payments would have to come out of the pocket of the responsible commander.
    "The status quo is not sustainable. All of DoD needs to be placed in a large bag and thoroughly shaken. Bureaucracy and micromanagement kill."
    -- Ken White

"With a plan this complex, nothing can go wrong." -- Schmedlap

"We are unlikely to usefully replicate the insights those unencumbered by a military staff college education might actually have." -- William F. Owen

Default Adding to what Blackjack said and with which I agree, I suspect the civilians

who are nominally innocent will get more visitation by various bad guys and said civilians will not really appreciate the extra attention (nor will they be happy that a small source of income, claiming non-existent casualties, has been removed).

Aside from the impacts on own forces, the net result is most likely to be more, not fewer, civilian casualties and the Afghans will figure that out fairly quickly. How long it will take us to figure it out is the issue because the number of added casualties will be difficult to determine. Plus, it's been my observation that when a US General reinvents a wheel; usually by simply modifying the existing model by making it hexagonal or octagonal -- and then it doesn't work -- reversion to the old, round variety is done slowly, quietly and below everyone's radar.

Good thing about that technique is the reinventor then gets credit for being 'innovative' while everyone forgets that the innovation didn't work.

We need to get over the idea that "COIN" is something new. All this stuff has been done before. From us in Viet Nam, to the French in their colonies, the British in theirs, the poor Federal commanders tasked to hunt down Morgan and Mosby -- the Hittites, for that matter. Or, to put it in the right location; Alexander...

Default It's been a month or two...

On this one:Me, too. I'll give it a month or two before it quietly disappears. Not a smart move on several levels...
    Has it quietly disappeared?
    Audentes adiuvat fortuna
    "Abu Suleyman"

Default Hmmm...

13 Aug AP story via Air Force Times:

A new military approach in Afghanistan may mean buzzing rather than bombing the enemy, according to the general taking over the air war there.

It’s known as irregular warfare, designed to protect local people and then enlist their help defeating Taliban insurgents, Air Force Lt. Gen. Gilmary Hostage said Thursday.

“The first thing we do is fly over head, and the bad guys know airpower is in place and oftentimes that’s enough. That ends the fight, they vamoose,” said Hostage, who will direct the air battle over Iraq and Afghanistan. “The A-10 has a very distinct sound. The cannon on an A-10 is horrifically capable and our adversaries know it. When they hear the sound of an A-10, they scatter.”

Sometimes they do.

Former Member George L. Singleton's Avatar

Default A-10

The A-10 is a very old subsonic tank killer.

It sounds like we have nitwits making battle plans if any of these quotes and suppositions are true.

Might as well bang bots together to drive the tiger, but the tiger is still there and will keep killing.

Post Interesting analogy

Quote Originally Posted by George L. Singleton View Post
    The A-10 is a very old subsonic tank killer.

It sounds like we have nitwits making battle plans if any of these quotes and suppositions are true.

Might as well bang bots together to drive the tiger, but the tiger is still there and will keep killing.
    Kinda like trucks filled with chains driving along brick roads
    Sound just like tanks
    Any man can destroy that which is around him, The rare man is he who can find beauty even in the darkest hours

Cogitationis poenam nemo patitur

Council Member

Default NATO (German requested) airstrike

From the AP this morning:

NATO airstrike in Afghanistan kills up to 90
    Afghan official says NATO airstrike on hijacked fuel tankers kills 90, including 40 civilians
    FRANK JORDANS
    AP News
    Sep 04, 2009 09:00 EST

A U.S. jet blasted two fuel tankers hijacked by the Taliban in northern Afghanistan, setting off a huge fireball Friday that killed up to 90 people, including dozens of civilians who had rushed to the scene to collect fuel, Afghan officials said.
    In Kabul, the NATO command said a "large number of insurgents" were killed or injured in the pre-dawn attack near the village of Omar Khel in Kunduz province. In Brussels, the alliance's chief said it was possible civilians died.

Kunduz Gov. Mohammad Omar said 90 people were killed. A senior Afghan police officer, speaking on condition of anonymity because of the sensitivity of the information, said that included about 40 civilians who were siphoning fuel from the trucks.
    Navy Lt. Cmdr. Christine Sidenstricker, a public affairs officer, said the attack occurred after commanders in the area determined that there were no civilians there.

In Brussels, however, NATO Secretary General Anders Fogh Rasmussen said "a number" of Taliban fighters were killed and "there is a possibility of civilian casualties as well."

The German military, which has troops under NATO command in Kunduz, said the airstrike struck the tankers at 2:30 a.m., killing 50 insurgents, adding that "uninvolved (persons) were presumably not harmed."

Militants seized the tankers about four miles (seven kilometers) southwest of a German base and an unmanned surveillance aircraft was dispatched to the scene, German officials said. After the images showed no sign of civilians, the Germans called for a U.S. airstrike, which occurred about 40 minutes after the tankers were seized. ....
    From this armchair, this incident confirms that UAV IDs are not infallible, and that civilian casualties come in large bunches where airstrikes are involved (the latter fact is established by the UNAMA Report).

This incident is different from the May Farah incident; although both boil down to how much ID is required to justify an airstrike - and whether the presence of any civilians requires an abort.

Default Illustration of ROE?

Published 15th September 2009, so may predate the enw ROE, on this previously unknown website: http://www.defencetalk.com and under this headline 'Insurgents accidentally blow themselves up' http://www.defencetalk.com/insurgent...ly-blow-21938/ contains an interesting pilots and command centre commentary on when to engage.

Good for information ops IMHO.

davidbfpo