Thread: Listen Up Marines, We Belong at Sea

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

That's relative to the geography and OPFOR in question.

About 30 men raiding a single house at the same time is an application of "mass".
    One could claim it's about "surprise" as well (as the quantity allows for reaching all rooms quickly), but it's still not exactly intricate tactics.

Quote Originally Posted by Fuchs View Post
    That's relative to the geography and OPFOR in question.

About 30 men raiding a single house at the same time is an application of "mass".
    One could claim it's about "surprise" as well (as the quantity allows for reaching all rooms quickly), but it's still not exactly intricate tactics.
    When you have the time and resources to employ against a single structure in a rolling hard hit, why wouldn't you use mass? It certainly allows you to dominate an objective, do what needs to be done (including TSE) quickly, and then get off the objective in good order.

I agree that it's not intricate tactics. I've seen it done surreptitiously by a rifle squad in Iraq, and the tgt presented as much physical threat to the raiding force that many HVTs did, yet those special ops HVT tgts consumed a hundred-fold more resources to go after. TTPs are 't the point of this thread though.

SEALs have a role to play. I think as with all special purpose forces, they should stick to that role or risk the deleterious effects of mission creep, but they are very good at certain things--frogmen being a prime example.

Quote Originally Posted by jcustis View Post
    When you have the time and resources to employ against a single structure in a rolling hard hit, why wouldn't you use mass?
    Because there are better ways?
    Because the "mass" tactic depends on having an opponent who's not smart?

Trust me, they'd get more than a bloody nose if they were up against me.
    The internet is no good place to discuss the "why", though.

Okay Fuchs, roll on with your bad self.