Quote Originally Posted by BushrangerCZ View Post
To the pic - soldier closer to us is not firing, just looking over that compound wall.
Oh? Then what's his finger doing on the trigger?

Then of course there was Blah who asked earlier about locating the enemy by obvious signs such as dust and muzzle flash. Here we see dust. But changing fire positions would be meaningless as they stick out like dogs b*lls above the parapet. - (as Fuchs would tell you if the Taliban was a half decent enemy those two Marines would be history in a matter of seconds.)

Today´s trend is to shift pressure from shoulder almost to the center of the chest, because of better reflexive and natural aim, but still you are supposed to press it firmly against the body.
Never heard of this before. Who says "you are supposed to ..."?

"When I used to fire Czech Sa58 rifle with collapsible stock, I had sometimes bruise under eye, because I am lanky and stock was too short. When I pushed stock to the shoulder and looked into the foresight, the back of the rifle was kicking me in the face. When I switched to commercial adjustable stock from FAB, problem was solved.[/QUOTE]

You have an armourer in your battalion? I picked up a brand new FN folding butt (stock) on an unannounced visit to Mozambique and found that the length of pull was short so got the unit armourer to bolt on a standard FN recoil pad to fix it. The cheek position was sorted by taping a first-field-dressing onto the frame of the butt (stock) with a few rolls of insulation tape.

If we talk about optics, I think that average US Army infantry grunt gets issued Reflex and ACOG (not sure). I have nothing against good old iron sights, but for hundred meters, I can hit a coin with M4 and ACOG when lying prone, I can´t do that with iron sights, I would not even see such a small target. Also iron sights are not so good with NVG (even if you use DBALL or AN/PEQ, it´s still good to have an option to aim without it at night). When I mentioned change of AO, it was according to the optics, red dot vs. scope, not because of the stock. Also sometimes you just get issued something and no one asks if you want ACOG or Reflex or whatever.
Yes lets talk about optics. First I must say that I am not talking about "designer weaponry" for special forces. On a recent BBC TV programme:

At War: The Soldiers and Their Families
Queens Royal Lancers Herrick XII (April – Oct 2010)

It was said:
The insurgents are hardly ever seen. Out of more than a hundred exchanges of fire this troop only set eyes on them twice.
So lets talk optics and red-dots and all that stuff. Obviously did not help the Queens Royal Lancers one little bit.

So I wonder what the teaching is on how to suppress/kill the enemy if you know roughly where they are but can't see them?