Thread: Homosexuality and Military Service (Merged thread)

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

I say let all service members vote on this. Easy vote. Yes for DADT, No for DADT. What the sevice members decide is the way it will be.
    Like it or not, the Constitution says that Congress sets policies for the military, not democratic votes by military members. Article I, Section 8:

"The Congress shall have Power ... To make Rules for the Government and Regulation of the land and naval Forces"

Moscow on the Willamette (i.e. Portland, Oregon)

The problem though is that to this point Congress has made no law changing DADT. This recent termination of DADT is by order of a federal judge who is in effect legislating from the bench. The last time I checked the judicial branch had no power to pass laws or make rules for the government and regulation of the land and naval forces. It's really a breach of the separation of powers as set up by the Constitution.

Quote Originally Posted by tequila View Post
    Like it or not, the Constitution says that Congress sets policies for the military, not democratic votes by military members. Article I, Section 8:

"The Congress shall have Power ... To make Rules for the Government and Regulation of the land and naval Forces"
    I know what the Constitution says - I was trying to be practical.