Thread: Some Things Never Change

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

What I see is a handy, sweeping statement intended to possibly spark discussion. The influence of technology on strategy is nothing new, and has been with us ever since Tom showed Ken that a pointy stick really WILL travel farther than a club if you throw it at someone....

If anything, I've noticed a trend in some corners to obsess on warfare in the 20th century to the virtual exclusion of most of what came before. Again, this is something that comes and goes, and tends to be more focused with folks who have agendas or are trying to make a name for themselves.
    "On the plains and mountains of the American West, the United States Army had once learned everything there was to learn about hit-and-run tactics and guerrilla warfare."
    T.R. Fehrenbach This Kind of War

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Blair View Post
    What I see is a handy, sweeping statement intended to possibly spark discussion. The influence of technology on strategy is nothing new, and has been with us ever since Tom showed Ken that a pointy stick really WILL travel farther than a club if you throw it at someone....

If anything, I've noticed a trend in some corners to obsess on warfare in the 20th century to the virtual exclusion of most of what came before. Again, this is something that comes and goes, and tends to be more focused with folks who have agendas or are trying to make a name for themselves.
    Anyone who really knows Ken knows that you can't show him anything without a club...

Default That's a two by four which Hacksaw was / is astute enough

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Odom View Post
    Anyone who really knows Ken knows that you can't show him anything without a club...
    to realize...

I dunno about this Tureen guy, okay general at best. Had it not been for Gus the Second and his reforms and Maurice teaching the young Henri his trade, we might never have heard of him. Pity he wasn't as sharp as that other Maurice who also later became Maréchal Général des Camps et Armées du Roi -- and did so without benefit of having French royal blood...

The two Morries were among my better pupils (Tom, OTOH, had a bad tendency to launch himself with the Lance... ).

Gus, OTOH, taught me a lot.