Thread: Looking for info on RNZI

Default Looking for info on RNZI

hi,
    are there any NZ members on here who can give me detailed info on the current composition of the NZ Infantery from Btl down to Squad?
    thx

Default Welcome. Some N-Zedders her occasionally, I'm sure one

might provide you an answer. In the interim, why not got to this LINKand add an introductory post to tell us a little about yourself. We ask all to do this as a courtesy and it helps people answer queries if they know the level of detail one understands or is seeking...

Again, welcome.

Default Kiwigrunt

Helping Ken's memory and the only Kiwi I can recall who posts here. Should pick this up, if not PM him one day.

Incidentally a well known Australian COIN writer commented that, words akin to 'Some of the best infantry in Afghanistan, the small NZ detachment, are wasted where they are' and yes, he is David Killcullen. From memory are the NZ SAS deployed too?

davidbfpo

Default Can't tell you much I'm afraid.

Firstly, davidbfpo,

I’m not sure we can say that the 140 person provincial reconstruction team is wasted where they are. They appear to be doing good work and are well liked by the locals. Just because they are in a relatively ‘safe’ AO doesn’t mean they are not effective. Politically, NZ still tries to avoid a ‘war’ involvement in A-stan. I also think that where they are now they can operate with relatively little outside support. That would be very different if a small group like that would be in a more intense AO, where the support required relative to there size could make them more of liability than an asset. We’ve been there in Bosnia in the nineties when we had to beg, steal and borrow equipment to be able to work alongside the Brits.

SAS is another story. Currently not there for as far as I know. The US have recently requested NZSAS involvement again, don’t think a decision has been made yet. Funny thing is that many New Zealanders still like to think that we are indeed not involved in the war as such (other than reconstruction), even though much has been made of the fact that one of our SAS boys came home with a VC. Don’t think he got that for painting classrooms.

Frank,

I have very little info on current structures as they have changed a lot since I left 9 year ago, and there is very little to be found on the net (as I’m sure you would have found out yourself). So I’ll give you what I do know, although I suspect that you may have this knowledge yourself.

Back then they were light infantry and the structure was pretty standard, with 4 rifle coys officially. We’ve had manning problems for a number of decades now so they would typically operate with either two coys of three platoons or three coys of two platoons. The army lost a lot of its popularity when the permanent battalion stationed in Singapore was brought home in the early eighties.
    In Timor the battalions were brought up to strength with a Nepalese coy (a Canadian coy for first rotation), and a Fijian coy, and an Irish platoon and later also a platoon from Singapore.
    We have two regular force battalions, the first and the second first battalion RNZIR.

Things have changed when the NZLAV[3] replaced the M113 some years ago. The 1st battalion is now motorised and operates most of the LAVs. The 2nd/1st is still light infantry. I don’t know to what extent they have now finished experimenting with structures. I have read somewhere (can’t confirm) that we have followed Canada’s lead in that the 81mm mortars have gone to arty (, I used to be a mortarman). Over the next few years they’ll be looking into options/replacements for both the 81mm mortar and the 105mm light gun. (120mm mortars have been talked about for a while now.)

They are also looking into weapon replacements. The old L7A2 has been replaced with the MAG58 (no change really). The Steyr is currently being upgraded to A3 version and it appears that the most popular new optics are Aimpoint and Acog. Steyr heavy barrel has been played with but am not sure if that was to replace the Minimi (which is reaching the end of its life) or as a DMR. Some 7.62 DMRs are also being looked at. An AGL will be acquired over the next few years.

My apologies for this long story with little information.
    Having said all this, I’ll try to find out more. I have always been interested in developments but have never bothered searching beyond the net.
    Last edited by Kiwigrunt; 06-21-2009 at 06:39 AM. Reason: spelling
    Nothing that results in human progress is achieved with unanimous consent. (Christopher Columbus)

All great truth passes through three stages: first it is ridiculed, second it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident.
    (Arthur Schopenhauer)

ONWARD

thx kiwigrunt!
    i'm looking forward to your next post.

it appears that the NZ forces are suffering the same fate as many western
    forces.

Kiwigrunt is pretty much spot on.

The only thing I would add is that, for a very small army, everything changes on a constant basis. We have taken the principle of flexibility and made it an inherent part of our force structure!

I have found out a little bit more.

The First (Cav) battalion in currently organizing its platoons around six (yes, six!) LAVs, with a full dismount platoon. No idea what the numbers are but if we assume around 30 dismounts and 18 crew……..
    Also not sure how that will work with our navy’s new troop-transporter. The HMNZS Canterbury has been designed around the ability to hold a company group of 250, including around 14 LAVs. Adding to that would have to go to the detriment of other vehicles.
    I would carefully have to say that it looks like they may have done this because there are plenty of LAVs anyway. Apparently we’ve had about 20 to 30 of them parked up so far for lack of crews etc.
    Unless of course there are still only two platoons to a company, then it would still work.

At battalion level there is a Combat Support Platoon with currently 2 Javelin sections, 2 recon patrols, and 2 sniper teams. That will go up to 3 of each. That all appears a bit meagre, especially the fact that it is a platoon and not a company. Hmmmmm, unless this is actually at company level????
    Last edited by Kiwigrunt; 07-06-2009 at 04:52 AM. Reason: added last thought
    Nothing that results in human progress is achieved with unanimous consent. (Christopher Columbus)

All great truth passes through three stages: first it is ridiculed, second it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident.
    (Arthur Schopenhauer)

ONWARD