Thread: How Close is 'Close Combat'?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default RE: Red Rat

Red Rat,

To clarify, by limited war I am refering to "a war whose objective is less than the total defeat of the enemy" and not a definition linked to resources applied. So I agree with your assesment that risk aversion plays a critical role in how today's conflict are being waged.

Red Rat:
    I think that the character of any given conflict is the product of the societies involved in that conflict.
    Agree; as Clausewitz stated:

...the aims a beligerant adopts, and the resources he employs, must be governed by the particular characteristics of his own position; but they will also confrom to the spirit ofthe age and to its general character.
    JMA:

I am a little concerned that concepts like limited and unlimited war are being applied to company, platoon and section level activities. How does one limit the violence of a company or a platoon attack?
    Again, we need to differentiate between war and warfare. A limited war will have an impact on military operations and actions at the tactical level. One needs to look no further than the current conflict.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by John M View Post
    JMA:

Again, we need to differentiate between war and warfare. A limited war will have an impact on military operations and actions at the tactical level. One needs to look no further than the current conflict.
    Once in contact with the enemy how does the type of warfare the politicians have imposed affect the tactical options available at company, platoon and section level?