Thread: The Greatest Marine In History

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Thumbs up The Greatest Marine In History

Is John Glenn! Yesterday was the 50th anniversary of his Mercury space flight and he is only 90 years young. Link below to some video of that great day.

http://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=...st=0&FORM=LKVR

Glenn has no love for the present USA leadership and their ant-American view of the Space program and he expressed it very clearly at the celebrations at NASA. I am quoting from the Sunday edition of my local newspaper.

"I REALLY MISS MY CITIZENSHIP THAT WAS ONCE IN A CAN DO NATION!!!!!!!"

Gods Speed John Glenn for what you did and for having the courage to speak the truth to those left over Commie bastards running the country that destroyed the USA Space program!
    Last edited by slapout9; 02-22-2012 at 08:44 PM. Reason: fix stuff

The ghost of Chesty objects.

As for the leftover Commie anti-American bastards, you mean the guys who cut the shuttle in 2004?

http://www.cleveland.com/friendship-...ohn_glenn.html

Glenn said the decline of America's role in manned space exploration did not occur on "Charlie's watch," saying the current NASA administrator inherited the situation. While he never uttered the names of President Barack Obama or his predecessor, George W. Bush, Glenn left no doubt about whom he blamed.

He chided "the previous administration" for concocting the idea of going to the moon and Mars, while announcing the cancellation of the shuttle program in 2004.

The last shuttle flights occurred last year after the Obama administration approved two additional flights, according to NASA.

Glenn also obliquely praised the current administration for doubling the money being expended on American industry's role in designing and building spacecraft that will carry NASA's next generations of astronauts back into space.
    http://www.spaceref.com/news/viewpr.html?pid=13404

To meet this goal, we will return the Space Shuttle to flight as soon as possible, consistent with safety concerns and the recommendations of the Columbia Accident Investigation Board. The Shuttle's chief purpose over the next several years will be to help finish assembly of the International Space Station. In 2010, the Space Shuttle -- after nearly 30 years of duty -- will be retired from service.

Quote Originally Posted by tequila View Post
    The ghost of Chesty objects.

As for the leftover Commie anti-American bastards, you mean the guys who cut the shuttle in 2004?

http://www.cleveland.com/friendship-...ohn_glenn.html

http://www.spaceref.com/news/viewpr.html?pid=13404
    Yes, him and a few others. Your post is a good explanation of all the terrible things that have been done to NASA. The Celebration was nearly a week long and the description of the Government's shenanigans got pretty graphic at times, a lot were scrubbed before they appeared in publications. Most people just don't know the real history of the Space program anymore thanks to the Politically Correct Media. Only 3 presidents have truly understood the importance of Space.... Eisenhower,Kennedy,Reagan.....the return to space full time and in a big way is critical to the survival of our nation.....it will be the New Frontier for Small Wars!!!!!!

Default I felt sure this was going to be a thread about Smedley Butler

but Colonel Glenn makes sense, too.
    If you don’t read the newspaper, you are uninformed; if you do read the newspaper, you are misinformed. – Mark Twain (attributed)

Default Glenn. Glenn?

Isn't he the guy who fell in the bathtub?

(Hat tip to Strom Thurmond for that quote...)

Seriously Glenn's a good pick. So's Puller. Or Dan Daly or Herman Hanneken. Handsome Jack Myers comes to mind as does Lou Diamond. However, on all round basis, I'd prob'ly go with LeJeune.

Or Archibald Henderson who set the course...

Quote Originally Posted by Ken White View Post
    Isn't he the guy who fell in the bathtub?

(Hat tip to Strom Thurmond for that quote...)

Seriously Glenn's a good pick. So's Puller. Or Dan Daly or Herman Hanneken. Handsome Jack Myers comes to mind as does Lou Diamond. However, on all round basis, I'd prob'ly go with LeJeune.

Or Archibald Henderson who set the course...
    I am not sure if that was him or not (bath tub incident) but as you point out it was a really big deal back then.......sure it wasn't Shepard?.....concern over him being able to progress from Mercury ro Gemini? Can't remember.

Nah....Glenn is the man none of them other guys you tlak about ever flew Space ships!!!!

Talking The Ace of Space...

Quote Originally Posted by slapout9 View Post
    I am not sure if that was him or not (bath tub incident) but as you point out it was a really big deal back then.......sure it wasn't Shepard?.....concern over him being able to progress from Mercury ro Gemini? Can't remember.
    It was later: "NASA psychologists determined during Glenn's training that he was the astronaut best suited for public life. Attorney General Robert F. Kennedy suggested to Glenn and his wife in December 1962 that he should run against incumbent United States Senator Stephen M. Young of Ohio in the 1964 Democratic primary election. In 1964 Glenn announced that he was resigning from the space program to run against Young, but withdrew when he hit his head on a bathtub. Glenn sustained a concussion and injured his inner ear, and recovery left him unable to campaign. Glenn remained close to the Kennedy family and was with Robert Kennedy when he was assassinated in 1968. (LINK)
    Nah....Glenn is the man none of them other guys you tlak about ever flew Space ships!!!!
    Heh, I'll give you that -- and being a nice guy will make no jokes about Space Cadets...

Default I nominate Presley O'Bannon

His bravery is reflected in a line in the Marine Hymn and the reason for the Marines' choice of officer sword.

The Wikipedia bio link has more details and some other links for info follow:

http://www.centerhouse.org/v-bannon.html
    http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg...e=gr&GRid=2339
    http://www.thewildgeese.com/pages/obannonp.html
    Last edited by wm; 02-24-2012 at 03:41 PM. Reason: typo fix
    Vir prudens non contra ventum mingit
    The greatest educational dogma is also its greatest fallacy: the belief that what must be learned can necessarily be taught. — Sydney J. Harris

Quote Originally Posted by gainful View Post
    but Colonel Glenn makes sense, too.
    ganulv,not to digress to much but did you hear the NPR interview about J. Edgar Hoover and how he actually broke up a Right Wing Plot to overthrow America. Happened at about the same time as Butler was saying he was approached to do the job. Not sure if there is a connection there or not.