Thread: Moving the Rhod. Fire Force concept to Afghanistan?

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by William F. Owen View Post
    Is it a distinct concept? A great many British officers are well read on the Rhodesian War, but there are a number of factors peculiar to equipment and applications that make direct replication pretty pointless.
    Using ISTAR "assets" to cue airmobile forces into contact is not exactly a concept unique to "Fire Force."
    I submit that the general concept of operations is pretty well understood, and if applied in current theatres would look substantially different.
    Thats fine, it evolved specifically in the context of the Rhodesian war at the time using the aircraft and weapons and troops available at the time against that enemy (or those two enemies).

Group Captain Peter Petter Bowyer's book "Winds of Destruction" gives a good insight into the process (from the air force side) that led to the refined final fire force product. Professor Wood's book "Counter Strike from the Sky" is enlightening but is not a text book.

There is an exercise on the go somewhere in North America where the concept and various principles are being workshopped to give an understanding as to why certain things were done in a certain way within the context of aircraft, weapons, equipment available and the enemy and terrain considerations. This I believe includes a practical phase and ends with another workshop as to which of their weapons, troops, aircraft are most suited to such an application the the enemy and terrain environment of their current operational theater. The first serious attempt I have heard of.

What is refreshingly different is that these people are saying "help us understand the concept and the principles so we can see how we can apply them within our current circumstances". Refreshing to see some open minds in decision making positions (somewhere at least). I hope it works out for them.

PS: I would be interested to know how one becomes well read on the Rhodesian War?
    Last edited by JMA; 06-27-2010 at 10:57 AM.