Thread: Obsolete Restrictions on Public Diplomacy Hurt U.S. Outreach and Strategy

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default It was meant to protect domestic broadcasters from gov't competion

Quote Originally Posted by selil View Post
    I thought the purpose of smith-mundt was to restrict propoganda from the military and empower the press to cover without coercion.
    MountainRunner explains Smith-Mundt's declared purpose here.

S-M was less about protecting tender American ears and more about getting the message out to counter what was seen as highly effective Communist propaganda and to fix what was seen (not without substantial merit) crappy U.S. propaganda (when it existed).

It has been misinterpreted. The law was never intended to apply to DoD

Quote Originally Posted by Cannoneer No. 4 View Post
    It has been misinterpreted. The law was never intended to apply to DoD
    In some ways, that is moot - common law traditions have a way of reinterpreting themselves over the years, and S-M has come to mean no propaganda, period. It would probably take a Supreme Court decision to reverse that interpretation now.
    Sic Bisquitus Disintegrat...
    Marc W.D. Tyrrell, Ph.D.
    Institute of Interdisciplinary Studies,
    Senior Research Fellow,
    The Canadian Centre for Intelligence and Security Studies, NPSIA
    Carleton University
    http://marctyrrell.com/

Default I'm not sure...

Quote Originally Posted by marct View Post
    In some ways, that is moot - common law traditions have a way of reinterpreting themselves over the years, and S-M has come to mean no propaganda, period. It would probably take a Supreme Court decision to reverse that interpretation now.
    that the issue is that well embedded in the national psyche or that it has become common law in any real sense. While there is no doubt that there would be wailing from progressive ranks if this administration tried to change it (and wailing from the right if a Democratic admin tried it), I think all that would be required is just a little testicular fortitude on the part of Congress.

Since that is highly unlikely...

Why would you want Propaganda in the United states to be broadcasted. a Channel like al_hurra is certanly not designed for American consumption. I am certanly offended by the fact that the Arab speaking americans like me need propaganda to get our mind straight. its just ludcrious to think that we need propaganda. what are you saying, that we are somehow less americans than you? do we require propaganda to be patriotic?

sorry my english sometimes is not the best and this is my first post.

Cheers,
    Abdul

Talking Don't take it to hard

Quote Originally Posted by abduljrus View Post
    Why would you want Propaganda in the United states to be broadcasted. a Channel like al_hurra is certanly not designed for American consumption. I am certanly offended by the fact that the Arab speaking americans like me need propaganda to get our mind straight. its just ludcrious to think that we need propaganda. what are you saying, that we are somehow less americans than you? do we require propaganda to be patriotic?

sorry my english sometimes is not the best and this is my first post.

Cheers,
    Abdul
    I think it is understandable that some might think that something like Al-Hurra might be a good answer. It doesn't mean I agree with them but I can see where they would be coming from.

It is quite common here in the states to find that many immigrants from every part of the galaxy prefer and tend to watch a majority, if not all of their TV, news, etc in their own languages.

Thats right I said Galaxy, What do you thnk the SciFi channel is for?

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Humphrey View Post
    It is quite common here in the states to find that many immigrants from every part of the galaxy prefer and tend to watch a majority, if not all of their TV, news, etc in their own languages.

Thats right I said Galaxy, What do you thnk the SciFi channel is for?
    You're one of those men in black aren't you!!! I KNEW SciFi was insurgent television.
    Sam Liles
    Selil Blog
    Don't forget to duck Secret Squirrel
    The scholarship of teaching and learning results in equal hatred from latte leftists and cappuccino conservatives.
    All opinions are mine and may or may not reflect those of my employer depending on the chance it might affect funding, politics, or the setting of the sun. As such these are my opinions you can get your own.

Default It's not propaganda when we do it, Abdul

Quote Originally Posted by abduljrus View Post
    It's strategic communications. Propaganda is what the enemy produces.
    The enemy is allowed to use any form of communication in support of their objectives designed to influence the opinions, emotions, attitudes, or behavior of Americans.

And there is not enough being done about that.
    Last edited by Cannoneer No. 4; 12-06-2007 at 08:01 PM.

Default We did not call it “propaganda,”

We did not call it “propaganda,” for that word in German hands had come to be associated with lies and corruptions. Our work was educational and informative only, for we had such confidence in our case as to feel that only fair presentation of its facts was needed.8 --George Creel

from Propaganda: Can a Word Decide a War? by DENNIS M. MURPHY and JAMES F. WHITE http://www.carlisle.army.mil/usawc/P...umn/murphy.htm

Default US Code, Title 22, Chapter 18, Subchapter V, § 1461–1a

Except as provided in section 1461 of this title and this section, no funds authorized to be appropriated to the United States Information Agency shall be used to influence public opinion in the United States, and no program material prepared by the United States Information Agency shall be distributed within the United States. This section shall not apply to programs carried out pursuant to the Mutual Educational and Cultural Exchange Act of 1961 (22 U.S.C. 2451 et seq.). The provisions of this section shall not prohibit the United States Information Agency from responding to inquiries from members of the public about its operations, policies, or programs.

There is no more United States Information Agency.

Lawfare sucks!

The Smith-Mundt Act of 1948:
    Comments, Critiques, and the Way Forward
    by Bryan Hill