Thread: Fiasco at the Army War College?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Quote Originally Posted by Ken White View Post
    not stated is whether the advice was a result of perceived intentional or inadvertent 'misuse' thus it appears that umbrage was perhaps unnecessarily taken...
    The advice I gave was the result of a series of events spanning an extensive period of time. And, as suggested above, the use of the word "blackballed" in the blog was a distortion. No one in a position of authority said don't talk to Tom Ricks. It was me giving advice to a small group of colleagues. That doesn't fall within the normal use of the word "blackball" (although clearly the use of the word was more publicity generating than a more accurate portrayal would have been).
    Last edited by SteveMetz; 01-11-2009 at 06:29 PM.

Default That's what I thought, just didn't say it

well. Leaves me with the impression that either Schmedlap or Mark O'Neill are correct above and / or that I am with the 'undue' umbrage remark -- emphasis on the undue...

As I tried to point out and as you said:
    "So when it comes to academic freedom in PME, my personal opinion is that there's nothing to see here folks--let's move along and discuss issues that really need it."
    I also agree with Rank Amateur...

Council Member

Quote Originally Posted by Ken White View Post
    I also agree with Rank Amateur...
    Sorry I didn't respond sooner; it took me four days to get over the shock of reading the above.

I did want to point out that Mr Ricks gave Dr. Metz one hell of a blurb.

"This is a smart overview from one of our best strategic thinkers. Read it." --Thomas E. Ricks, author of FIASCO: The American Military

It is my understanding that blurbs are very important in the publishing world and given voluntarily. When someone goes above and beyond the call of duty to provide an excellent blurb it is understandable that a relatively minor incident could become emotional.
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveMetz View Post
    Sometimes it takes someone without deep experience to think creatively.

Default Oh, I frequently agree with you

but your creative bent sometimes leads you off track just a tad...

True also on the emotion bit, I suspect...

http://pajamasmedia.com/blog/strateg...comment-190711

I had this related blog link sent to me today. I really have no comment as to the assessment of what is taught or who is allowed to teach at the AWC; I was however both amazed and disturbed by the perspective and tone of most of those who chose to weigh in on the issue. (Which of course provoked me to add my own 2 cents worth of commentary at the end)
    Robert C. Jones
    Intellectus Supra Scientia
    (Understanding is more important than Knowledge)

"The modern COIN mindset is when one arrogantly goes to some foreign land and attempts to make those who live there a lesser version of one's self. The FID mindset is when one humbly goes to some foreign land and seeks first to understand, and then to help in some small way for those who live there to be the best version of their own self." Colonel Robert C. Jones, US Army Special Forces (Retired)

This is my favorite wingnut comment from that link - poor Steve Metz is actually trying to argue with those idiots.

43. fred:

google up Dr. Sherifa Zuhur and you will find that she APPEARS as a Westernized, secularized Arab. I think this woman is either deep cover for the Ummah or is a cultural Marxist hybrid straddling both the Western Left and her Islamic roots. She wears no hijab and certainly none of the required wardrobe associated with female modesty in the Muslim world.
    "Deep Cover Ummah". I might have to use that. Sounds like a good band title.

I need RTK's tinfoil hat pic again.
    "A Sherman can give you a very nice... edge."- Oddball, Kelly's Heroes
    Who is Cavguy?

The State of Partachia, at the eastern end of the Mediterranean

This article, to my mind, shows that the critics do not understand the subject matter they are criticising or the purpose to which it is ultimately put.

Studying Marx would not have helped one little bit, in understanding Soviet Doctrine, Operations or Strategy, - we actually know that it was a mistake to do so!

As a military officer, studying "Radical Islam" -what ever that is?- will not help you understand the Taliban.
    Infinity Journal "I don't care if this works in practice. I want to see it work in theory!"

- The job of the British Army out here is to kill or capture Communist Terrorists in Malaya.
    - If we can double the ratio of kills per contact, we will soon put an end to the shooting in Malaya.
    Sir Gerald Templer, foreword to the "Conduct of Anti-Terrorist Operations in Malaya," 1958 Edition

Hi Wilf,

Quote Originally Posted by William F. Owen View Post
    Studying Marx would not have helped one little bit, in understanding Soviet Doctrine, Operations or Strategy, - we actually know that it was a mistake to do so!

As a military officer, studying "Radical Islam" -what ever that is?- will not help you understand the Taliban.
    I think we'll have to agree to disagree on this. For me, the problem lies not with studying your opponents philosophy, etc., but for confusing that philosophy with its pragmatic applications in the field of conflict.

So, for example, studying Marx was useful since it would illuminate potential motivations amongst a target population, although junk for getting at Soviet perceptions (Russian history and culture is the basis of that...). In the same manner, studying "radical Islam" is useful for getting at motivations and logics, but studying Afghan culture and history will do a lot more for understanding operations.
    Sic Bisquitus Disintegrat...
    Marc W.D. Tyrrell, Ph.D.
    Institute of Interdisciplinary Studies,
    Senior Research Fellow,
    The Canadian Centre for Intelligence and Security Studies, NPSIA
    Carleton University
    http://marctyrrell.com/

Council Member

That post and the comment thread afterward are like so many found on the internet these days. I applaud Dr. Metz for trying, but am not surprised that many remain unconvinced, prefering instead the conspiracy that suits their political or whatever bias.

The internet, sadly, is a great tool for reinforcing people's natural tendency to confirm their own biases, especially people without much capability for introspection.

Quote Originally Posted by William F. Owen View Post

I agree it won't help you understand their tactics. I disagree that it won't help you understand motivations, motives, impulses, and ideals. Knowing what the other person believes or doesn't believe pays huge dividends over a cup of chai.
    Example is better than precept.

The advice I gave was the result of a series of events spanning an extensive period of time. And, as suggested above, the use of the word "blackballed" in the blog was a distortion. No one in a position of authority said don't talk to Tom Ricks. It was me giving advice to a small group of colleagues. That doesn't fall within the normal use of the word "blackball" (although clearly the use of the word was more publicity generating than a more accurate portrayal would have been).
    I think Mr. Ricks has hurt his standing much more than you have Dr. Metz.

Those who feel negatively towards SSI likely always felt so, but it is unfortunate that this happened.

I have to admit that knowing somebody in SSI is sending out internal emails has made me reconsider ever taking PME position for sabbatical or scholar swap. I'm to much of a curmudgeon to deal with that kind of backstabbing behavior.
    Sam Liles
    Selil Blog
    Don't forget to duck Secret Squirrel
    The scholarship of teaching and learning results in equal hatred from latte leftists and cappuccino conservatives.
    All opinions are mine and may or may not reflect those of my employer depending on the chance it might affect funding, politics, or the setting of the sun. As such these are my opinions you can get your own.

Quote Originally Posted by selil View Post
    I have to admit that knowing somebody in SSI is sending out internal emails has made me reconsider ever taking PME position for sabbatical or scholar swap. I'm to much of a curmudgeon to deal with that kind of backstabbing behavior.
    I do need to add that I believe this kind of adolescent, hostile pettiness is much less common in PME than in civilian academia. That's one of the reasons I left a university job for one in PME more than 20 years ago.

I do need to add that I believe this kind of adolescent, hostile pettiness is much less common in PME than in civilian academia. That's one of the reasons I left a university job for one in PME more than 20 years ago.
    I'll take your word for it as the more experienced scholar. It is kind of a red-herring statement on my part as the chance a PME org would hire me are approaching zero. Ride safe.
    Sam Liles
    Selil Blog
    Don't forget to duck Secret Squirrel
    The scholarship of teaching and learning results in equal hatred from latte leftists and cappuccino conservatives.
    All opinions are mine and may or may not reflect those of my employer depending on the chance it might affect funding, politics, or the setting of the sun. As such these are my opinions you can get your own.