Thread: More Piracy Near Somalia

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Only

Quote Originally Posted by Beelzebubalicious View Post
    Is it common for Luxury yachts to sail near the coast of Somalia?
    if the Captain is blazingly stupid...

Quote Originally Posted by Ken White View Post
    if the Captain is blazingly stupid...
    Or perhaps been directed to do so to generate a causus belli to justify a military strike.

Actually, I understand that this yacht does a winter round in the Seychelles area then transits the Suez Canal in April to do a summer round of cruising in the Med. Last time I checked, one needs to sail past Puntaland to get into the Red Sea and the Suez from the Seychelles. The only question is how close one needs to be to that coast. Since this yacht has 3 masts worth of sail power, perhaps it was just following the winds.

Default La Belle France. A casus belli?

surely not...

Edited to add: I guess it would depend on whether you wished to be captured by Somalis or Yemenis...
    Last edited by Ken White; 04-07-2008 at 04:32 PM. Reason: Add Brilliant Comment

I read the monthly piracy reports and Somalia has been a hot spot for a long time. Unfortunately if you want to transit the Suez Canal, and you've come up the inland passage between Africa and Madagascar (like coastal sailors are going to), then you end up rounding Somalia no batter what. Some sailors (yachties) are going all the way out to Mauritaus (off the coast of Somalia) to make the swing. Still most of the piracy (way more than terrorism) is against container ships and after the crew belongings more than the cargo.
    Sam Liles
    Selil Blog
    Don't forget to duck Secret Squirrel
    The scholarship of teaching and learning results in equal hatred from latte leftists and cappuccino conservatives.
    All opinions are mine and may or may not reflect those of my employer depending on the chance it might affect funding, politics, or the setting of the sun. As such these are my opinions you can get your own.