Thanks for the replies...

Quote Originally Posted by Ken White View Post
I'm sitting here chortling at the thought of USASOCOM, USASFCOM, JSOC and USSOCOM all being located at Bragg -- then when FORSCOM moves up there in 2011, the 7th SFG goes to Eglin (unless they win the fight to not do that...) and with XVIII Airplane Corpse and the Eighty-Deuce and a few earthling commands, it would be downright interesting...

'Course, if you had all those hindquarters there, Bragg would have a higher GO count than Afghanistan (barely...). and man, what a target; take all the hot responders out at one whack.

I'm also trying to picture Jim Lindsey (LINK) at a meeting in the Tank with his Cigar ...

Mike, you know someone once tried to tell me that the XVII Abn Corps was not commanded by the 82d. Silly guy or a heretic, one or t'other...
I placed my initial comments to spark some emotion/discussion so we could possibly figure out how to better leverage our capabilities with the lessons learned in combat.

SFC W says

SF is not just a cool hat and some more uniform flair, nor is it just a collection of good guys. It is a series of skill sets and a lot of institutional experience doing many of the things that GPF had to learn, more or less from scratch, but more than that it is a mind set. If you aren't ready to put in the time and training to be SF then you aren't ready to be SF.
He is right. Every discussion that I have with an SF personnel reminds me of how intuitive small wars are to them. It is impressive. One analogy could be that SF's are Sun Tzu and everyone else is Clausewitz.

ODB brought forward a good suggestion- cross-fertilization on the staff level. I served as an LNO and worked in the JSOTF's J2,J3, and JOC. That "internship" was probably the best professional development that I had as a young captain.

MTF...

Mike