Thread: The Stop Snitching Phenomenon: Breaking the Code of Silence

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Council Member

Default The Stop Snitching Phenomenon: Breaking the Code of Silence

DoJ Office of Community Oriented Policing Services. Feb 09:

The Stop Snitching Phenomenon: Breaking the Code of Silence
    The “stop snitching” phenomenon that has been glorified in entertainment and sports industries and is a significant issue in some law enforcement jurisdictions. The threatening nature of the stop snitching message intimidates witnesses and erodes trust between communities and police by undermining police efforts to involve communities in preventing and combating crime. This threatens police agencies’ ability to prevent and solve crime because it impedes investigations, arrests, and convictions, and could severely erode the criminal justice system. This problem exceeds the boundaries of traditional witness intimidation and is overwhelming for many police departments.

On numerous occasions, the COPS Office has brought together federal agencies, representatives from the private sector, law enforcement leaders from around the country, and neighborhood leaders invested in their communities to explore solutions to violent crime and social disorder issues. Most recently, on March 6, 2008 in a COPS Office-supported PERF Executive Session titled “Stop Snitching: Policing in a New Era,” key stakeholders explored the issues of the stop snitching phenomenon, identified promising practices, and developed potential solutions to the problem. The discussions included innovative methods for counteracting the intimidating messages and the central role that community policing principles play in responding to this unspoken code of silence.

Default Incredible...

Just watched a report about this phenomenon on Anderson Cooper. I could not believe it. The fact that so many people could buy into this moronic concept is almost unbelievable, simply because the premise is sooooo dumb. What an absolute shame that this happens.

Why are criminals so glorified in the inner city communities? Why do people want them protected? Is this some sort of honor thing? And most importantly, why do celebrities that have escaped the inner-cities promote this rediculous idea? They should be called out and confronted about it if they are indeed promoting it. Start with musicians and pro athletes.

Where are the black leaders on this?
    Sir, what the hell are we doing?

This is just the latest pop-culture manifestation of a long-term problem, which is the enduring, historically quite justified mistrust of the African-American poor and working-class of the police.

People in the ghetto don't love criminals. Often there is quite a bit of fear involved. But they are from the neighborhood. Snitching means snitching on one's neighbor, or someone related to a neighbor or friend. It's not like you are giving up a "criminal" --- you're giving up someone you know. Especially for nonviolent crimes, or crimes related to the drug trade, there's not much of a personal incentive to give up anyone.

Of course there wouldn't be a "stop snitching" phenomenon if there weren't a lot of snitches out there, the vast majority of whom cannot be confused with your average citizen. The most common snitches are, of course, those swept up for relatively minor drug offenses who try to trade out of their sentences to go up the chain.

And there is of course the natural human response to defy authority and maintain group loyalty. Police officers are notably reticent to snitch on their corrupt and/or brutal colleagues, of course, and so are soldiers. The basic impulse shouldn't be alien to anyone here.

Quote Originally Posted by tequila View Post
    Snitching means snitching on one's neighbor, or someone related to a neighbor or friend. It's not like you are giving up a "criminal" --- you're giving up someone you know. Especially for nonviolent crimes, or crimes related to the drug trade, there's not much of a personal incentive to give up anyone.
    According to the report I watched, the "snitcher" wasn't a local, but a person from another part of town. He was set to testify in a murder trial as the key witness, but was murdered in front of his children.

And I disagree, I think there is major glorification of criminals in the inner-city culture. Listen to rap music sometime.

Of course there wouldn't be a "stop snitching" phenomenon if there weren't a lot of snitches out there, the vast majority of whom cannot be confused with your average citizen. The most common snitches are, of course, those swept up for relatively minor drug offenses who try to trade out of their sentences to go up the chain.
    I happen to like snitches. I don't like criminals.

And there is of course the natural human response to defy authority and maintain group loyalty. Police officers are notably reticent to snitch on their corrupt and/or brutal colleagues, of course, and so are soldiers. The basic impulse shouldn't be alien to anyone here.
    I fail to see the comparison. If I "snitched" on a fellow Soldier, it would be because he was doing something to jeapordize our mission or other Soldiers' lives. Not because I get satisfaction from "snitching".

According to the report I watched, the "snitcher" wasn't a local, but a person from another part of town. He was set to testify in a murder trial as the key witness, but was murdered in front of his children.
    I was referring to the broader cultural trend, not just a single case. In most cases, snitching will happen between people who know each other.

And I disagree, I think there is major glorification of criminals in the inner-city culture. Listen to rap music sometime.
    Glorification of criminality in music intended for the youth market does not equate broad-based community support for criminality. The vast majority of rap music is consumed outside of the ghettos.

The influence of rap music on criminality is radically overplayed anyway. I grew up listening to hiphop music. The time when hiphop was most positive and community-oriented was at the height of the violence of the crack epidemic during the late '80s. The rise of gangsta rap coincided with the rapid fall in crime rates in the mid to late 1990s.

I happen to like snitches. I don't like criminals.
    The vast majority of snitches, as I said, are criminals looking to trade their associates to get out from under a charge. The stop snitching "movement", as it was, is not really aimed at the average everyday person who witnesses a crime, as these folks are rare.

I fail to see the comparison. If I "snitched" on a fellow Soldier, it would be because he was doing something to jeapordize our mission or other Soldiers' lives. Not because I get satisfaction from "snitching".
    Exactly my point --- you wouldn't snitch for something trivial or for something that didn't affect you or your unit or your mission. The basic human impulse is to look the other way, especially if the authority figure is viewed as a member of a social out-group.

Quote Originally Posted by tequila View Post
    I was referring to the broader cultural trend, not just a single case. In most cases, snitching will happen between people who know each other.
    But what about when it doesn't? Is that still considered snitching. The report I watched talked about snitching evolving recently into non-related witnesses in court cases. Maybe not where the trend started, but now that's where it's at. Any person who testifies in any court against anyone is a snitch and apparently deserves death.

Glorification of criminality in music intended for the youth market does not equate broad-based community support for criminality.
    That maybe true, but isn't it plausible to assume that many of the extended families have a truant or two in the familiy involved in illegal activity in the ghetto. Is that an assumption that can be made? Obviously families aren't going to rat out there own, so I believe that somewhat.

The vast majority of rap music is consumed outside of the ghettos.
    What do they listen to in the ghetto? Frank Sinatra? I think youths look up to rappers. Maybe I'm wrong. They aren't helping.

The vast majority of snitches, as I said, are criminals looking to trade their associates to get out from under a charge. The stop snitching "movement", as it was, is not really aimed at the average everyday person who witnesses a crime, as these folks are rare.
    Apparently it's evolving past the criminal element looking to get out of a charge or make a plea deal. It's evolved to anyone that witnessed a crime. Which I don't believe it's "rare". Most crimes have victims.