Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: What Are You Currently Reading? 2014

Transforming Command by Eitan Shimar-

Focuses on Mission Command in theory and practice within the historical lens...held by American, British, and Israeli frames.

Council Member Backwards Observer's Avatar

Default two for flinching

Telling It Straight by Marina Mahathir

interview

One Man's View of the World by Lee Kuan Yew

review

"Reading, after a certain age, diverts the mind too much from its creative pursuits. Any man who reads too much and uses his own brain too little falls into lazy habits of thinking." Albert Einstein

(For those who feel guilty about not being able to keep up with their reading - as I often do. If one must prioritize, keep up with your thinking instead, and read as you can on products focused on the questions that thinking generates in your mind.)
    Robert C. Jones
    Intellectus Supra Scientia
    (Understanding is more important than Knowledge)

"The modern COIN mindset is when one arrogantly goes to some foreign land and attempts to make those who live there a lesser version of one's self. The FID mindset is when one humbly goes to some foreign land and seeks first to understand, and then to help in some small way for those who live there to be the best version of their own self." Colonel Robert C. Jones, US Army Special Forces (Retired)

Thumbs up that goes double for me (whatever it is)

Quote Originally Posted by Bob's World View Post
    "Reading, after a certain age, diverts the mind too much from its creative pursuits. Any man who reads too much and uses his own brain too little falls into lazy habits of thinking." Albert Einstein

(For those who feel guilty about not being able to keep up with their reading - as I often do. If one must prioritize, keep up with your thinking instead, and read as you can on products focused on the questions that thinking generates in your mind.)
    Hi Robert!

Regrettably, I didn't have time to read your entire comment, but I completely agree with everything you said; more people should learn to think for themselves! Especially the quote from Alfred Einstein. Focus is also important also as well, so true! I think

Council Member

"Siberian Education", Nicolai Lilin... probably strongly exaggerated, but relaxing read

Banned

Not sure anyone around here has reached that 'certain age' yet. So keep reading like there is no tomorrow.

Then there are those who plow through reading lists so as to tick off books read... while having missed the point or lessons of the book are the best reason to scrap these long course reading lists... unless the readers are required to present what they learned from each and ever one of the books.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob's World View Post

Last edited by JMA; 02-12-2014 at 02:22 PM.

Avoiding the Fall: China's Economic Restructuring

Pettis combines mostly basic macro insights and some original ideas with concise logic to connect many of the sometimes puzzling aspects of Chinas economy in a way which makes a great deal of sense. It is difficult to give much higher praise.

My personal views did conflict in some areas with some of his arguments. After reading his book it would be foolish to uphold most of them in the face of such evidence*. Unless the Chinese government does a brilliant job against considerable internal political pressure the GDP growth story can not continue as it did.

I truly hope that the China is able to transform as softly as possible and that the creditor citizien is no longer basically robbed by the debitor elite. In economic terms it would be also of considerable importance for the Western World, with countries like Germany being quite exposed and Australia basically relying on it. Who knows?

A nice interview of the author, but it lacks of course the compelling written case.

*The rural population is still very high relative to other countries with less massive malinvestment, but it should be quite a bit older.

P.S: The implications of Pittins analysis do not change the factor that China is and will very reliant on maritime trade. However the vast reform task ahead of the Chinese leadership might make some 'patriotic' actions more likely to divert some of the inner attention and energy.
    Last edited by Firn; 02-12-2014 at 09:26 PM.
    ... "We need officers capable of following systematically the path of logical argument to its conclusion, with disciplined intellect, strong in character and nerve to execute what the intellect dictates"

General Ludwig Beck (1880-1944);
    Speech at the Kriegsakademie, 1935

Default Harper’s article on the A-10.

Earlier today I read Andrew Cockburn’s article “Tunnel Vision,” about the Air Forces’s effort to put the A-10 out to pasture, in the latest number of Harper’s. It is behind a paywall—Harper’s does not give away content—but worth either the purchase or a trip to the library. I enjoyed it, but not being an expert would also enjoy feedback on the article from those who are (experts). http://harpers.org/archive/2014/02/tunnel-vision-2/
    If you don’t read the newspaper, you are uninformed; if you do read the newspaper, you are misinformed. – Mark Twain (attributed)

Default divine windbags

Zen at War by Brian Daizen Victoria.

review - the zensite

Quote Originally Posted by jballard07 View Post
    Transforming Command by Eitan Shimar-

Focuses on Mission Command in theory and practice within the historical lens...held by American, British, and Israeli frames.
    About halfway through this; good read. Thanks for the suggestion.

Default kami chameleon

Article loosely related to Zen at War review above.

Was Japan An Aggressor Nation? by Tamogami Toshio

After the Greater East Asia War, many countries in Asia and Africa were released from the control of white nations. A world of racial equality arrived and problems between nations were to be decided through discussion. That was a result of Japan’s strength in fighting the Russo- Japanese War and Greater East Asia War. If Japan had not fought the Greater East War at that time, it may have taken another one hundred or two hundred years before we could have experienced the world of racial equality that we have today. In that sense, we must be grateful to our ancestors who fought for Japan and to the spirits of those who gave their precious lives for their country. It is thanks to them that we are able to enjoy the peaceful and plentiful lifestyle we have today.

Even now, there are many people who think that our country’s aggression caused unbearable suffering to the countries of Asia during the Greater East Asia War. But we need to realize that many Asian countries take a positive view of the Greater East Asia War. In Thailand, Burma, India, Singapore, and Indonesia, the Japan that fought the Greater East Asia War is held in high esteem. We also have to realize that while many of the people who had direct contact with the Japanese army viewed them positively, it is often those who never directly saw the Japanese military who are spreading rumors about the army’s acts of brutality. Many foreigners have testified to the strict military discipline of the Japanese troops as compared to those of other countries. It is certainly a false accusation to say that our country was an aggressor nation.
    Japan is a wonderful country that has a long history and exceptional traditions. We, as Japanese people, must take pride in our country’s history. Unless they are influenced by some particular ideology, people will naturally love the hometown and the country where they were born. But in Japan’s case, if you look assiduously at the historical facts, you will understand that what this country has done is wonderful. There is absolutely no need for lies and fabrications. If you look at individual events, there were probably some that would be called misdeeds. That is the same as saying that there is violence and murder occurring today even in advanced nations.
    We must take back the glorious history of Japan. A nation that denies its own history is destined to pursue a path of decline.
    I didn't have time to read the entire article, but I completely agree with everything it said; more nations should not deny their own history! or deny! or something! Especially when not pursuing a path of decline! or pursuing! or whatever

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Backwards Observer View Post
    Article loosely related to Zen at War review above.

Was Japan An Aggressor Nation? by Tamogami Toshio

I didn't have time to read the entire article, but I completely agree with everything it said; more nations should not deny their own history! or deny! or something! Especially when not pursuing a path of decline! or pursuing! or whatever
    I think you misread the article.

Quote Originally Posted by JMA View Post
    I think you misread the article.
    Please explain it to me.

Before a Saturday morning spat ensues, I'm figuring Backwards Observer was being sarcastic about that article.
    "We fight, get beat, rise, and fight again." Gen. Nathanael Greene

Quote Originally Posted by carl View Post
    Before a Saturday morning spat ensues, I'm figuring Backwards Observer was being sarcastic about that article.
    I completely agree with everything you said. What's a spat?

Default spat

Never mind, Carl, 'ol buddy; I looked it up.

In conclusion, here's a lovely song:

Kojo No Tsuki - Scorps, Live '79

Default the king in yellow

Yellow Peril: An Archive of Anti-Asian Fear by John Kuo Wei Tchen, Dylan Yeats.

review - the atlantic

Se muore il Sud. No translation available for now, but I would be eager to see how certain phrases and specific wordplays get expressed in English.

The authors, two journalists form the Corriere della Sera really hammer home the decline of the South with many stark examples over the last decades. Some of were known to me, as well as the basic economic numbers, but it is very impressive to see those in-depth looks at some projects and how the puzzle fits. Some of the them are incredible, unless you know something about how certain things work or get 'worked'.

An hour-long presentation by the authors, in Italian obviously.

P.S: In the European economy thread I wrote something which would cause a wild reaction, even hatred in Italy itself: the increasing internal emigration from the Sud to the Centro Nord is IMHO in the long run actually a lot better for our state and our economy. This book as strenghtened my view, even if the authors don't come to that conclusion. We tried to move the work for so long desperatly to the South, with huge projects which are mostly white elephants to be milked endlessy by the various criminals and after the baseless boom thirty years ago many citziens of the Meridione are now worse off. Those who left the South forty, fifty years ago and their children have on the other hand become overall strong threads in the economic fabric of the rest of Italy. Of course it is now more difficult with lower vacancies but always better then to throw away precious human capital and labour in the disaster down there.
    Last edited by Firn; 03-21-2014 at 02:20 PM.
    ... "We need officers capable of following systematically the path of logical argument to its conclusion, with disciplined intellect, strong in character and nerve to execute what the intellect dictates"

Council Member

Default End of history...

I just finished Fukuyamas "The end of history ...".
    Amazing book ... and especially amazing, how times can change.
    L'audace, l'audace, toujours l'audace. (Napoleon)

It's always easier to ask for forgiveness than permisson.

Collapse of an Empire: Lessons for Modern Russia by Yegor Gaidar, a very prominent insider which died in 2009 at 53. His obituary in The Economist.

Still, Mr Gaidar knew his country, its history and its perils better than most Russian politicians. After leaving office, he continued to advise the government. In his book “Collapse of an Empire”, he warned against the dangers of post-imperial nostalgia and attempts to exploit it. He drew powerful and disturbing parallels between the Nazis in Germany and similar voices in Russia. Many of his fears were borne out by Russia's war in Georgia in August 2008. “The situation is extremely dangerous. The post-imperial syndrome is in full blossom. We have to get through the next five to ten years and not start doing something stupid,” he said.

He was honest, both intellectually and personally. Unlike many of the current Kremlin-dwellers, he did not enrich himself in the 1990s. His office was spartan and stacked with papers; good food (and drink) were his main indulgence. And as an academic, he never compromised his analysis for the sake of political expediency.

One of Russia's biggest problems, as he saw it, was the growing accumulation of wealth and power by bureaucrats and their friends in the name of a “strong state”. People who argued for such a state, he wrote, “have only one purpose—to preserve the status quo…A self-serving state destroys society, oppresses it and in the end destroys itself. Will we be able to break away from this vicious circle?”

Mr Gaidar argued that modernisation was impossible without political liberalisation. Yet just before he died, he agreed to apply his economics institute to the Kremlin's proclaimed task of modernising the Russian economy without touching its political system. Perhaps he sensed it was a vicious circle he could not square.
    I really enjoyed his book, one feels his drive to understand and to explain. A far-sighted man indeed.

P.S: The Kindle version on my Android tablet has very small tables, a bit of bummer if you are actually interested in the raw data.
    Last edited by Firn; 04-04-2014 at 09:01 PM.