Thread: Center of Gravity Construct

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Slap

For starters, many--myself included--see the people as the objective not as a COG. We seek to secure and win over the population, undermining the insurgents' links with them. In such a case, the linkages between the insurgent and the population could be called a COG, especially linkages built on causes. But this article is built on a fundamental misinterpretation of the very ideas the author disputes. In any case, I see insurgency and counter insurgency to be entirely too complex to be a case of finding/identfying a COG, proclaiming a Guiness "Brilliant!", and winning the war.

Best

Tom

Council Member

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Odom View Post
    Slap

For starters, many--myself included--see the people as the objective not as a COG. We seek to secure and win over the population, undermining the insurgents' links with them.
    My 2-cents:

If asked the question, and forced to offer a simple, quip of an answer, I would have offered "legitimacy and relevance" as the primary CoG. However, your point of no simple answer is spot on. Many groups continue to struggle (though with diminished effectiveness) with only waning legitimacy.

Quote Originally Posted by slapout9 View Post
    Bill,Tom, I have read Galula and unless my memory is that bad he stated that there were 4! primary factors.
    1-A cause
    2-Weak government.
    3-Terrain
    4-Outside help.
    That would indicate at least four COG's right from the start, but the author writes as if the other 3 do not exist. I thought that was rather mis-leading.
    I definitely agree that the enemy fights at the strategic level and he is damn good at it.
    Rather reminds me of the Leites/Wolf COIN model, circa 1970 (or so).
    Last edited by ilots; 07-04-2007 at 05:22 PM.