SMALL WARS COUNCIL
Go Back   Small Wars Council > Military Art & Science Applied > Equipment & Capabilities

Equipment & Capabilities Relevant capabilities and equipment are table stakes for winning those hearts and minds.

Closed Thread

Old 08-19-2013   #1
Bill Moore
Council Member

Default Innovative combat medicine

I have little hope we're going to fundamentally change or flawed foreign policies or develop better policy makers, and while that effort will continue I think we also need to contribute something tangible to our forces who are doing the real work at the tactical level.

In that spirit I Hope to start a series of threads on innovative technology, techniques, tactics and procedures focused primarily at the tactical level. Hopefully interested members (gray beards and young pups alike) will add valuable lessons learnt for combat medicine that will save lives to this thread.

Over time I will open (or please beat me to the punch) other threads that focus on different topics from tactical intelligence to fires.

Post 1: Tourniquet for abdominal wounds is already saving lives

http://www.stripes.com/news/game-cha...lives-1.235791

Quote:
After serving as a flight surgeon in Iraq, Croushorn and former combat medic Richard Schwartz devised an inflatable tourniquet that buckles around a victimís abdomen, and when pumped with air becomes a wedge shape that puts about 80 pounds of pressure on the abdominal aorta, cutting off blood flow to the pelvis. Ted Westmoreland, a former medic with U.S. Army Special Operations, then helped devise the windlass that twists to tighten the device so it stays in place.

One person with minimal training can have it out of the bag and applied in about 60 seconds, and it doesnít need to be done by a medic, Croushorn said, because the device doesnít require precise positioning
Old 08-19-2013   #2
davidbfpo
Council Member

Default Background reading

For background reading there is a thread 'Conflict, war and medicine', which features innovation and I will not merge this thread to it - yet

It is at:http://council.smallwarsjournal.com/...ad.php?t=15619
Old 09-07-2013   #3
Wyatt
Council Member

There are a few TQ designed to put pressure on the abdominal aorta and a few more designed for the femoral artery at the hip. The ones that seem to work the best are the ones that use screw tension and solid rubber pads to apply direct pressure.

The challenge with most of these is that they are big for a m9 aid bag or similar. I can see them being great for truck bags or local nationals resupply aid bag if you have a local to carry additional med stuff.
Closed Thread