in strange and wobdrous ways...
Quote Originally Posted by motorfirebox View Post
The public's attention is an important distinction. It's important because we're a voting public, and unpopular military action subtracts votes from the guys who ordered it.
Really? Roosevelt tricking us into WW II, Nixon in Viet Nam, Clinton in Somalia and Bush in Iraq and the reelections of all to a subsequent second (or third) term during unpopular wars (yes even the great crusade of WW II was questioned by many...) would seem to make that a statement that is at best questionable...
CNN is useful to me as an indicator of what the public at large is interested in. For actual news, I get my hands dirty digging.
In reverse order, good. My experience and observation has been that most of the TV news is seen as flaky at best. I'm old and I'm sure many say things to me differently that they would talking to a younger person but I sure don't see much stock put in any of the TV news by most Americans...
Er, yeah, I said "military" when I meant those who make the decisions on where to send it.
That's a rather important distinction. Many do not make it. Which leads to confusion in some, particularly the aforesaid politicians...