She's saying what we're doing doesn't work but gets the details wrong. You're saying the system works. Not the same thing.

No way of knowing the specifics for cases of presumed or alleged lack of support. My point was that the system does work but that over caution and people problems intrude too often. IIRC, you also elsewhere have acknowledged what we're doing isn't working...

Our tendency for ill informed, over zealous and extremely risk averse second guessing from the rear has been around for years; it long pre-dates ROE in general and certainly the Afghan theater ROE of today. I experienced it in two long ago wars -- it is not a new phenomenon. My son has a couple of classics from Desert Storm as well as more from his current tours.

I do suggest the more restrictive ROE probably poorly interpreted encourage even more ill informed further over zealous and totally extreme risk aversion (and add that today's technology allows even more second guessing from further in the rear -- not a good thing).

Both points based on long observation...

Oh -- and you're correct, they certainly are leadership issues. They're also even more so very much training and policy / doctrine issues...