The accessory rails on the G36 (K) are really only good for bipods, torches etc. Not so good for aiming devices like IRADs etc because the fore stock is only held to the receiver with a single push-pin, and is therefore not very firm/solid. Also, a UGL requires a special fore-stock.
That is of course much better on the likes of HK 416, FN Scar, Robarms XCR etc.
However, it does appear (I have never been near one) that the bottom rail of the Scar is attached to the barrel, not the receiver. I would imagine that that would have a detrimental effect on accuracy when a bipod or UGL are attached to it.

Quote Originally Posted by William F. Owen View Post
What no one seem to cotton on to, is you can swap out sights and sighting systems, night vision, LPI, bipods and Grenade launchers, as the mission requires. That's all much more useful than deciding what length of barrel you want to fit - which is another part of the SCAR hype I just don't get.
I’m with you there Wilf. The same has been said for the Steyr AUG for the last three decades. I’ve yet to see a soldier with a backpack full of different barrels. You get issued with whatever barrel is on your rifle and that’s it. SF may have a bit more leeway but even for them I doubt that they will run around with an assortment of barrels. You would also need to re-zero your sights on every barrel-change.

Reed, I concur with regards to aiming the old M72. Could never quite get my head around that. And never got enough of them around my head to remedy that.

A number of posts ago (my God, this thread is moving again) you said this Wilf:
I think the reason is blank firing on field exercises. GPMG makes lots of noise and confirms your participation. 40mm, LAW and 84mm, do nothing in field training!
You may have hit the nail on the head there. However, when ammo is black (thanks Reed) and you are reduced to yelling “bullets, bullets, bullets”, then you can reintroduce HE by yelling “M72, M72, M72”