Quote Originally Posted by Bill Moore View Post
JMA,

I don't think the U.S. or any other nation for that matter is unaware of the big changes regarding China's assertiveness. Russia is also more assertive. The question is how to manage and respond to it. The U.S.'s ability to influence based on superpower status is waning, but it is still very powerful. I am not sure what you are proposing the U.S. do at this point that it isn't already doing? I hope you are not proposing we go to war with China over some important, but still relatively minor incidents the SCS? I can't see how that will benefit us, or the global economy.
Death by a thousand cuts...

I suggest that (confirmed by your reply) the Chinese have chosen the right strategy.

None of the moves they make will warrant (as seen by most) action to be taken.

Then every now and again they play the "two steps forward, one step back" routine which will be misread as a victory in Washington.

Further when the old enemy (Vietnam) starts looking for protection against China from the US one presumes that their old ally (Russia) has cried off and would give an indication of how serious the problem is.

I suggest that the turning point will come when the US id "forced to sell out Taiwan". Can't be too far away now.