Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Troops in Iraq allowed to drink beer on Super Bowl Sunday!

Council Member

Default Entropy

I apologize for my typing faster than my brain. I do recall that the discussion with my major quickly focused on the policy not the gaurd. Some perspective, this was the third gate on the compound. Not that that matters much. The major's ID card is good enough for him, his word should be good enough for his convoy.

I was also on a convoy of LMTV's that was stopped at the front gate to Kandahar after we spent two weeks walking through and ten hours driving back from the mountains. The wait was very long (I don't recall how long) and every soldier had to show his ID. We did not all carry ID's because they have our SSN on them which would be bad were we captured by the Internet saavy jihadi. The tower gaurd looked on as we passed ID cards back and forth so the gate gaurd could see that we all had one. Not sure what this garrison policy will accomplish in combat ops. Again, if the ID card on the commander is good enough for him, why is his rank not good enough for us all?

Long way round, rank means little, adulthood means less, and manhood no longers exists.

I am not so fast to discount that M18A1 on the bumper idea. Properly constructed and shielded, the blast could be deflected out. In some situations, I could see that the claymore might be better than the alternative. Think Jessica Lynch and the human wave. I'll take the 1.25 lbs of boom outside the uparmoured vehicle over an RPG through the winshield or the human wave pulling me out (Blackwater in Fallujah). These men may have been ahead of their time a bit.

On the other hand...perhaps a few test runs at Aberdeen would have been prudent.
    The society that separates its scholars from its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards and its fighting by fools.

---A wise old Greek
    Leadership is motivating hostile subordinates to execute a superior's wish you don't agree with given inadequate resources and insufficient time while your peers interfere.

Quote Originally Posted by sapperfitz82 View Post
    I am not so fast to discount that M18A1 on the bumper idea. Properly constructed and shielded, the blast could be deflected out.
    That's not a chance worth taking.

In some situations, I could see that the claymore might be better than the alternative. Think Jessica Lynch and the human wave. I'll take the 1.25 lbs of boom outside the uparmoured vehicle over an RPG through the winshield or the human wave pulling me out (Blackwater in Fallujah).
    First of all the human wave thing is rare. Lynch was captured after a prolonged running firefight. A claymore would not have helped her. RPGs probably aren't going to fired from inside the effective range of the Claymores anyway. In any case 1.25 pounds of C4 is still a fairly sizeable boom, paricularly when added to IED going off on the outside.

These men may have been ahead of their time a bit..
    Nah. Islamic extremist have been doing this for years.

SFC W

Default M18A1 Claymore or M5 MCCM

This is what could be confusing many from a distance.

M5 Modular Crowd Control Munition (MCCM)

The MCCM, a non-lethal variant of the Claymore munition, is the Army and Marine Corps' first non-lethal area coverage munition. It provides crowd control and force protection and temporarily incapacitates a large, hostile group without causing life-threatening consequences to the targeted individuals. This gives the field commander the option to apply non-lethal force as a first line of defense against aggressive noncombatants.

The MCCM is similar in appearance to the Claymore mine but is filled with 600 32-caliber rubber balls. It has an effective range of 5 to 15 meters with 60-degree coverage. MCCM is command control initiated and disorients and incapacitates targeted individuals for approximately 10 seconds.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    ODB

Exchange with an Iraqi soldier during FID:

Why did you not clear your corner?

Because we are on a base and it is secure.

Council Member

And I thought we were too prudish when our Division Commander cancelled "two-beer night" in Bosnia and ordered all of the beer poured out...

These are photos from “the demolition of alcoholic beverages and obscene CDs” in Ahvaz/Khuzestan.
    See more of the gory photos at the Pedestrian blog.

That's so wrong, man.
    Sir, what the hell are we doing?

Let us hold a min's silence for dear old Gordon and Co.