Thread: The Cell Phone/Web Page effect

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Links to cell phone vulnerabilities

Jedburgh - I think its a rotational thing - call it a groundhog shaped bell curve

I went googling for stuff along the lines of what Slapout had discussed. 2 sites stuck out the first is about cell phone vulnerabilities, the second is about how make them vulnerable.

I also looked for some stuff on VOIP since that is a growing medium.

Reading how easy it is convinces me the bad guys are ahead of us in yet another area

Default Cell phones and techno-cultural vulnerabilities

Hi Rob,

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Thornton View Post
    Jedburgh - I think its a rotational thing - call it a groundhog shaped bell curve
    But just think about all the really cool changes that could be made to pre-deployment training! Nokia would love it -new phone fashions

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Thornton View Post
    Reading how easy it is convinces me the bad guys are ahead of us in yet another area
    Well, to my mind this just means that it's time for the US to go back to an old tradition of giving some "criminals" the option of going to jail or joining the forces. Think about it....

Judge: Son, you've been found guilty of phone phreakin'. That's a 5 year stretch at Attica. But, since it's your first offense, I'll give you an option...

On another note, I just finished reading your proposal. It's simple, straight forward, workable and to the point. I really think it would work which is why I suspect that it would never get accepted by the military bureaucracy. If you get a run around with getting it implemented, try sending the proposal out to RadioShack.

Marc
    Sic Bisquitus Disintegrat...
    Marc W.D. Tyrrell, Ph.D.
    Institute of Interdisciplinary Studies,
    Senior Research Fellow,
    The Canadian Centre for Intelligence and Security Studies, NPSIA
    Carleton University
    http://marctyrrell.com/

Hi guys, well the company has left and things are starting to quite down some so I have been catching up on the posts. I had to sneak down every once in a while to see what was going on, read a bunch of posts real quick and then had to do some thinking. So here are a few items in know particular order.

1-Rob, you are dead on about cell phones being a status symbol, just look at the after market in the US with the custom covers and holders and everything else they have. But it is deeper than that, you made a comment earlier about US showing up with a digital camera and IF showing up with video cell phones. That says volumes to me. Seems like everything the US is doing is about "analyzing" information, while everything the enemy is doing is about "sharing" information! This is why identifying the network or tribe is so important. Everything they do is about the group and sharing so they have a vast and fast capability to mobilize for or against something. That is a formidable capability.

2-The easiest way to influence someone is through their emotions and one of the easiest ways to do that is with pictures. It is that worth a thousand words thing. The US is left brain obsessed get the statistics and analyze, slow and methodical. Meanwhile the enemy acts like your analogy of a video spreading like a virus. And just as deadly. It is almost like a "video operations order" that spread like a virus and leads to what appear to be random attacks but are not. The targets may be random but the guiding idea or strategy is anything but.

3-Bill, yep we are behind and have been but their are a lot folks that don't see that or agree with it. The US can be arrogant by thinking we know everything all the time and it gets us into trouble.

4-Dr. Marc, I don't know if the military does such as you mentioned but LE has been doing it for a while often in the form plea bargains. Tell us Who does What and How he does it and you walk or get a reduced sentence. There have been some fumbles but it usually works very well. Little fish traded for big fish. Later guys.

Default Would you believe a shooting cell phone

I knew about this some years ago know it is on, well go to the link.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6FaIEJSYwIs

CNN has a video on its main page time now (2 Jan 07) showing how execution video is getting around Iraq, and Bluetooth equipeed cellphones were shown playing the grainy footage.

Council Member

Default The Strategic Cell Phone

This cell phone video, along with the widely published digital images of Abu Ghrab, and other rapidly disseminated key photographs show the power that the average citizen, soldier, etc. has to shape world opinion, almost overnight.

I think even Churchill would have been challenged in this IO environment.

Hi Bill,

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Moore View Post
    This cell phone video, along with the widely published digital images of Abu Ghrab, and other rapidly disseminated key photographs show the power that the average citizen, soldier, etc. has to shape world opinion, almost overnight.
    Too true - too bad we aren't using it

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Moore View Post
    I think even Churchill would have been challenged in this IO environment.
    Nah... He would have just conscripted a bunch of teenagers to act as his IO experts

Marc
    Sic Bisquitus Disintegrat...
    Marc W.D. Tyrrell, Ph.D.
    Institute of Interdisciplinary Studies,
    Senior Research Fellow,
    The Canadian Centre for Intelligence and Security Studies, NPSIA
    Carleton University
    http://marctyrrell.com/