I agree with Bob's World that we do in fact have a great deal of gun violence compared to others, but it is a necessary problem. I came on with the Feds in 1992, right about the time there was a shift in tactical training across the country. Speed, surprise and violence of action was thing. At least for my agency this was a response to the drug problems and the associated violence. Much of law enforcement was outgunned for a time. With the War on Drugs came a ton of money to local and state law enforcement and who doesn't want cool gear.

Departments having APCs and MRAPS and such isn't a big deal to me if it is being used for high risk types of operations conducted by SWAT teams. In a lot of places SWAT is being used for most search warrants due to liability. There are local drug task forces out where I work who are not allowed to serve basic dope warrants. Nope, they gotta bring out LAVs and everyone has a long gun. The issue with police weapons isn't a big deal to me either because I believe police having ARs is just the evolution of the firearm.

I also think police in the U.S. are discouraged from going hands on with people - that to is a liability. Broken bones, choke holds, torn this and torn that.

Another thing and this is obviously my opinion. There are a lot of mouthy a-holes out there who are just plain stuck on stupid.

But, the biggest factor in the end is training - IMO.