Thread: Wars between theists and atheists( P.S.)

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default While I tend to shy away...

from theological discussions as they, like many political discussions, tend to evoke emotions rather than logic, and I cannot make my argument near as erudite as Marc's nor as to the point as Bob's (I believe religion is in part about wealth, power, and control in some combination, an esoteric form of politics if you will), I would have to say that DVC's argument is a common one among the theologically minded. They fail to consider that the “Just because you can't prove something does that mean it's not true?” applies to a whole spectrum of issues like (not to be sarcastic, but perhaps a bit cheeky) unicorns, leprechauns, Zeus, Thor, UFOs, etc...

The napkin is a great example of “Just because you write something down does that mean it is true?”

Those who enjoy the writings of JRR Tolkien will best relate to the following.

While Tolkien is famous for his fictional Middle Earth and his works The Hobbit and Lord of the Rings, he also wrote considerably on the history of Middle Earth. One of his books, entitled the Silmarillion, begins like this:

“There was Eru, the One, who in Arda is called Ilúvatar; and he made first the Ainur, the Holy Ones, that were the offspring of his thought, and they were with him before aught else was made...”

One can see the influence of Genesis and other creation myths in this.

My point being, I would not be surprised that in several hundred years there is a “religion” based on the Silmarillion.
    "What is best in life?" "To crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentation of the women."

Quote Originally Posted by Umar Al-Mokhtār View Post
    My point being, I would not be surprised that in several hundred years there is a “religion” based on the Silmarillion.
    Why wait? I know of two religions today that are based on science fiction books .
    Sic Bisquitus Disintegrat...
    Marc W.D. Tyrrell, Ph.D.
    Institute of Interdisciplinary Studies,
    Senior Research Fellow,
    The Canadian Centre for Intelligence and Security Studies, NPSIA
    Carleton University
    http://marctyrrell.com/

Default And when it happens...

Tolkien will no doubt roll in his grave, metaphorically of course.

Perhaps I should tear a page from L. Ron's play book and start my own faith based institution, Ilúvatarianism, as we get a tax break for that sort of stuff here in the former English colonies.
    "What is best in life?" "To crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentation of the women."