SMALL WARS COUNCIL
Go Back   Small Wars Council > Small Wars Participants & Stakeholders > Military - Other

Military - Other Echelons away from the trigger pullers, from operational art and theater logistics to service combat development to just plain FOBbits.

Old 11-14-2012   #181
SWJ Blog
Council Member

Default Women Worry Scandal Will Hurt Role as Advisers

Women Worry Scandal Will Hurt Role as Advisers

Entry Excerpt:

--------
Read the full post and make any comments at the SWJ Blog.
This forum is a feed only and is closed to user comments.
SWJ Blog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013   #182
gute
Council Member

Default Panetta Lifts Ban on Women in Combat

http://news.msn.com/politics/panetta...omen-in-combat

Call me a sexist, old fashioned or whatever, but personally I don't like decision and believe due to political correctness and "gender norming" will degrade the force overall. But, if my daughter suddenly decided she wanted to be a riflman in the Marine Corps I would support her 100%. WTF is happening!
gute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013   #183
TD

Default I'll tell you what is happening to you!

You have lost you're mind and become Politically Correct (PC)! I hope they welcome you on the dark side.
TD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013   #184
Wyatt
Council Member

Even if the standards were to be the same, I still wouldn't like it. Yet, knowing the army, they will not be the same. Men will die when they are too heavy in kit to be drug to cover by a female in their fire team, or she herself will get shot. How is the average female going to affect the load plan for a 3 day operation? Can she, on average, bear the 40kg load with enough juice in the tank to sprint to cover or bound? Is the average female the one you want in front of you in a stack?

I dont see the fascination civilian committees have with all manner of changes to the military that have nothing to do with increasing our lethality on the battle field. If the changes wont make you more lethal/effective, why even consider it?
Wyatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013   #185
gute
Council Member

Fortunately, I don't have to worry about it - she is 100% girl and has no interest in that stuff. So, I get to remain old fashioned and not PC.
Old 01-23-2013   #186
gute
Council Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wyatt View Post
Even if the standards were to be the same, I still wouldn't like it. Yet, knowing the army, they will not be the same. Men will die when they are too heavy in kit to be drug to cover by a female in their fire team, or she herself will get shot. How is the average female going to affect the load plan for a 3 day operation? Can she, on average, bear the 40kg load with enough juice in the tank to sprint to cover or bound? Is the average female the one you want in front of you in a stack?

I dont see the fascination civilian committees have with all manner of changes to the military that have nothing to do with increasing our lethality on the battle field. If the changes wont make you more lethal/effective, why even consider it?
yep, I agree with you. There will be different standards - this is only the beginning. I want to puke.
Old 02-03-2013   #187
SWJ Blog
Council Member

Default Combat Women and Congress’s Wimps

Combat Women and Congress’s Wimps

Entry Excerpt:

--------
Old 03-07-2013   #188
SWJ Blog
Council Member

Default Know Your Enemy: Lessons for the U.S. Military from Women in Armed Rebel Groups

Know Your Enemy: Lessons for the U.S. Military from Women in Armed Rebel Groups

Entry Excerpt:

--------
Old 05-11-2013   #189
SWJ Blog
Council Member

Default Military Culture Still Refuses to Include Women

Military Culture Still Refuses to Include Women

Entry Excerpt:

--------
Old 07-26-2013   #190
SWJ Blog
Council Member

Default Pentagon Mulling Separate Combat Training for Men, Women

Pentagon Mulling Separate Combat Training for Men, Women

Entry Excerpt:

--------
Old 08-06-2013   #191
SWJ Blog
Council Member

Default Double Standard: Pentagon Hints at Changes to Allow More Women in Ground Combat

Double Standard: Pentagon Hints at Changes to Allow More Women in Ground Combat

Entry Excerpt:

--------
Old 08-07-2013   #192
SWJ Blog
Council Member

Default Women and the Audie Murphy Model

Women and the Audie Murphy Model

Entry Excerpt:

--------
Old 10-23-2013   #193
davidbfpo
Council Member

Default Captain Collette: The life of a woman on the front line

A BBC News report:
Quote:
Capt Ashley Collette was the only woman in her platoon of soldiers on the Afghan front line. In the Canadian armed forces, unusually, every job is open to women - and both sexes live together and fight together.

(At the end citing the Captain) In my experience there's no reason why a band of brothers cannot be a band of brothers and sisters.
Link:http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-24622762
Old 10-27-2013   #194
rome

knowing the army, they will not be the same. Men will die when they are too heavy in kit to be drug to cover by a female in their fire team, or she herself will get shot.
rome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2014   #195
davidbfpo
Council Member

A short interview with Canadian General John de Chastelain, who retired in 1995: Reflections on the introduction of women into combat roles in the Canadian military:http://strifeblog.org/2014/06/25/gen...dian-military/
Old 07-03-2014   #196
davidbfpo
Council Member

Default Moderator at work

Six threads where the theme was Women in Military Service and Combat, not just the American experience and viewpoint have been merged here.
Old 07-03-2014   #197
JMA
Banned

Study Finds Women Don't Belong in Combat

Quote:
New book shows women in combat suffer much more serious non-combat injuries, alleges IDF cover-up...

...The book describes ludicrous measures by which women's lesser suitabilty for combat roles is masked. These include lowering the bar of requirements for women wishing to enter combat units, placing benches next to walls that trainees jump over (only for the women to use), running laps in circles (instead of straight-line runs from point A to point B) to make it less obvious that the women are lagging behind the men, and more.
and predictably:

Quote:
The IDF told Maariv/NRG that Sagi's claims are “completely baseless” and that women's integration into combat units has been a success. “Female combat soldiers are dealt with in a supervised manner, which takes into account their medical, physiological and social needs,” the army said.
JMA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2014   #198
davidbfpo
Council Member

As if by magic the UK MoD has announced a review of women in combat:
Quote:
The aim of the review will be to assess the current exclusion of women from ground closecombat roles, to identify the benefits and risks of changing this policy and to make recommendations. The review is to be open and evidence based, building on theconsiderable work undertaken in support ofthe 2002 and 2010 reviews. The assessmentof benefits is to include the impact of a change in policy on the recruitment of women into the wider Armed Forces. It is to cover all three Services, with the Army acting as the lead Service working in close cooperation with the Navy, the Air Force and the Chief of Defence Personnel. It is to be based on the premise that all roles should be open to women unless this would undermine combat effectiveness. Armed Forces’ effectiveness is not, however, to be prejudiced by lowering operationally necessary standards.
Link:https://www.gov.uk/government/upload...oles-clean.pdf
Old 07-04-2014   #199
carl
Council Member

Forcing women into combat roles despite all is going to happen. There is no stopping it short of disastrous results when a big fight comes. Which is a certainty on both counts in my view.

From strictly an observer's standpoint, how it all plays out will be extremely interesting. A social experiment conducted on such a large scale has never really been done before. I don't count the WWII Red Army because they haven't fully opened their archives so we don't actually know what happened.

It is just so damn sad that all those people will have to die and suffer who wouldn't have had to die and suffer otherwise.

I hope there are some secret studies being done by staff officers somewhere that deal with having to reverse all this in the middle of a big fight.
Old 07-07-2014   #200
AmericanPride
Council Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl
I don't count the WWII Red Army because they haven't fully opened their archives so we don't actually know what happened.
In other words: "I don't believe women should be in combat and I'm going to ignore historical examples that do not prove this point."

There is plenty of literature about the experience of Soviet women in combat. You claim that "I hope there are some secret studies being done by staff officers somewhere that deal with having to reverse all this in the middle of a big fight."

The Soviets, who experienced the "[biggest] fight" in history, concluded the opposite and realized that the exigencies of conflict necessitated the destruction of social norms that prevented women from performing combat roles as varied as attack aviation, armored warfare, snipers, and partisans. The norms that regulate women to the sidelines are luxuries enjoyed in a patriarchial society at peace.

When I am weaker than you, I ask you for freedom because that is according to your principles; when I am stronger than you, I take away your freedom because that is according to my principles. - Louis Veuillot

Last edited by AmericanPride; 07-07-2014 at 03:44 PM.
AmericanPride is offline   Reply With Quote