Quote Originally Posted by IntelTrooper View Post
I specifically have in mind young females having children at 15/16/17, etc., who refuse to give up children for adoption. We let people who we wouldn't allow into any other position of resposibility to make choices for other human beings that they have no business making.
Young girls of that age are minor children, in the custody of their parents. There would probably be some legal difficulties there.

I think there are some issues with using that statistic. You're implying that if we just make something unpopular that the demand will decrease. You have major hurdles to overcome first -- first, decreasing its popularity enough in media and in public opinion to turn the tide towards popular hostility; second, reducing the compulsion of addicted individuals to gravitate towards these methods of coping with their lives.
It was done in the past by the Americans, and it was done without government intervention. The difficulties you mentioned were overcome and group behavior was radically changed in just 2 decades. If they could do it, we can do it.

We just have to make up our minds to do it. I would suggest a first step would be to stop looking at users with so much sympathy. People like sympathy. If users were widely viewed as weak, stupid and shamed for being unable to fulfill their responsibilities toward man and God, that would help.

I don't see a way of slowing the momentum this process has in our society without profound changes in how we regulate reproduction.
IntelTrooper, I wish not to offend you but what you propose is monstrous. To implement you suggestion would require a cultural change so profound that it would be far more destructive to our way of life than the thing you are trying to control.