Quote Originally Posted by jcustis View Post
The MTVR in up-armored config is a beast. It has a higher center of gravity and that has posed challenges with tip-overs as a result of blasts, but that machine can just go and go and go, and it can take bad hits as well, but then again it was already fairly resistant in its basic configuration. I have also been riding in the current M-ATV, and the improved ISS upgraded suspention MRAPs.

The ISS upgrade is a night and day improvement over the old rigid suspension, but still does not approach the mobility of the M-ATV. Serious shortfall remain with both platforms in terms of trafficability, visibility, and any ability to actually fight from it as well as conduct dismounted action.

The M-ATV does has a kick ass communications suite that can be employed and almost puts it on par with LAV-C2 variants. M-ATVs have been able to low-gear themselves out of sand that would swallow any other vehicle, and makes me wish I had bought stock in Oshkosh.
After operating in them almost exclusively for the past four months (to my chagrin since I so do miss an LAV), I have gained a greater appreciation for the M-ATV, but also higher frustration with the procurement program.

Here are some issues I have with the platform:

-Visibility forward of the driver and vehicle commander sucks because of the size, and angle of the thick windows. The side windows are even worse, and only allow a passenger to peek out and see what is directly abreast of the vehicle. No way to conduct a "5 and 25" check of the ground without opening the suicide door. I know this limitation has to do with the blast resistance, but c'mon, can the engineering design take into account some functionality requirements too?

-There is no IR flood lamp on the vehicle. IR lamps have prooved indispensible on about every tactical vehicle we already use, because it facilitates the use of night vision devices, so why nothing on the M-ATV as a basic piece of equipment? The driver has a driver's viewer enhancer (DVE) that matches the thermal devices employed on tanks and LAVs to allow drivers to drive in all light conditions, but the vehicle commander does not have a similar capability. That means that under zero moonlight situations, it is very difficult to see through the thick windows, and try to guide a driver using a blackout drive light only.

-There are no AC electrical outlets in the vehicle. MRAPs have them, but the M-ATV is oddly left out. It is almost as if Oshkosh is saying, "well gents, we don't have that option on this model, but if you take the hallway past custromer service and go to our custom shop, you should be able to find that add-on." Huh? Was anyone at Oshkosh looking at how we employ massive amounts of devices (biometric, battery chargers, laptops, etc.) in the current environment?

It's like we went forward and back at the same time, and it is just so odd that these basic things are absent.