Thread: The Clausewitz Collection (merged thread)

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    The State of Partachia, at the eastern end of the Mediterranean

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Humphrey View Post
    he can eat for a day, teach him to fish he and his family can live forever-

The problem with only "saving" them is what your saving them from or for. Doesn't do much good to give them fish it only last for a meal, and it doesn't do any good to teach someone to fish if there is no water nearby, or the water has no fish in it. All the factors must be addressed or it will untimately end up cycling right back to the same problem over and over.
    I get it. I really do, but it is not part of the military mission to provide fishing instruction. The military mission is to keep said actual or potential fisherman alive, to be able to learn, or benefit from his piscatorial employment or recreation.
    Infinity Journal "I don't care if this works in practice. I want to see it work in theory!"

- The job of the British Army out here is to kill or capture Communist Terrorists in Malaya.
    - If we can double the ratio of kills per contact, we will soon put an end to the shooting in Malaya.
    Sir Gerald Templer, foreword to the "Conduct of Anti-Terrorist Operations in Malaya," 1958 Edition

Post Agreed

Quote Originally Posted by William F. Owen View Post
    I get it. I really do, but it is not part of the military mission to provide fishing instruction. The military mission is to keep said actual or potential fisherman alive, to be able to learn, or benefit from his piscatorial employment or recreation.
    The part that really requires the extra steps above and beyond that normal mission is as has been referred to before, The lacking in other parts of the govt constructs to be able to provide the follow-on services. I look at it in sort of a vaccination context. If theres a disease going around and 100's of 1000s are dying from it then Yeah I'll be appreciative of the doctor who comes by with the vaccine and keeps it from killing me. I may however not feel quite so kindly towards the doc when I'm dying from starvation because food wasn't in his job discription.
    Any man can destroy that which is around him, The rare man is he who can find beauty even in the darkest hours

Cogitationis poenam nemo patitur