Thread: Where do I find Field Service Regs. 1935?

Council Member

Default Where do I find Field Service Regs. 1935?

I'm currently researching British COIN tactics in the Arab Rebellion (palestine 1936-9). I am looking for a copy of the British Field Service Regulations from 1935, but so far had no success...
    Does anyone know where I can one? Online would be great, but also libraries or archives in the UK will do.
    Thanks!
    "Nowadays people seem to imagine that impartiality means readiness to treat lies and truth the same, readiness to hold white as bad as black and black as good as white. I, on the contrary, believe that without integrity a man much better not approach a problem at all." Orde Charles Wingate, 1938

Default Have you tried WorldCat?

A search of <"field service regulations" 1935> returns this result. The database is a good first stop with over 72,000 repositories participating. One issue to be aware of is lack of standardization. For example, some catalogers seem to have created a single record for all of the volumes of FSR 1935 while others seem to have created a record for each of the individual volumes.

Anyways, hope it helps! Good hunting.
    If you don’t read the newspaper, you are uninformed; if you do read the newspaper, you are misinformed. – Mark Twain (attributed)

Shlomoz,

No idea about FSR.

On the wider topic, COIN in Palestine, have you tried the Palestine Police group? Awhile ago there was an active old comrades association and history was one of their fields of interest.

Thinking a little now. Is it possible that the IDF have the FSR book? Imperial War Museum is the obvious repository or the National Army Museum.
    davidbfpo

Council Member

Thanks for the replies!
    I have tried WorldCat in the past, but couldn't find leads to a copy in the UK. I did find parts of the document in Australia, but these were the volumesw dealing with logistics...

I haven't thought about the IDF, though it might be worth a try. I'll try the Israeli MOD archives. Also, perhaps the Hagana archive might contain a copy, or parts of one.

As for the PPF old comrades group - I'm in contact with them regarding another research I'm currently completing. However, I need information regarding British military tactics during the rebellion, not the police.
    "Nowadays people seem to imagine that impartiality means readiness to treat lies and truth the same, readiness to hold white as bad as black and black as good as white. I, on the contrary, believe that without integrity a man much better not approach a problem at all." Orde Charles Wingate, 1938

Council Member

Hi all,

It's been a while since I've visited this forum, but I'm glad to inform that I have photographed the 1935 FSR. If anyone's interested in a copy, drop me a line...

I am researching a WW2 action, trying to show that the Brits fought well and according to their regulations. US regulations are available, but FSR 1935 v2 I can't find.
    If your offer of photocopy is still on, I would be very grateful.
    Last edited by davidbfpo; 04-20-2015 at 05:29 PM. Reason: PM to author and shlomz requesting exchange. SWC frowns on overt display of email & addresses for privacy reasons, so removed