Thread: The Creation of Mechanized SOC Units

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Quote Originally Posted by ODB View Post
    IOne of the biggest problems we face in todays Army culture is everyone wants to be everyone else. SF guys want to do kinetic operations only, conventional forces want to be SF guys conducting FID, gathering intel, working with the local populace.
    This may be your experience, but in mine, no one wanted to do FID or COIN? Frankly, If the Army ever develops an "Advisor Division" or such, I would not envy the people serving in it in any way. I, in no way wanted EVER to be working with the local population and hated every minute of it when I did. If the Army had units that ONLY did HIC type missions, I probably would have never left?
    "Politics are too important to leave to the politicians"

Default Unfortunately, the Army

Quote Originally Posted by Ratzel View Post
    ...If the Army had units that ONLY did HIC type missions, I probably would have never left?
    Doesn't get to pick what type of war it may have to fight. Fortunately, most in the Army adapt and do what needs to done.

Quote Originally Posted by Ken White View Post
    Fortunately, most in the Army adapt and do what needs to done.
    Indeed...
    "Politics are too important to leave to the politicians"

Default Broad strokes

Quote Originally Posted by Ratzel View Post
    This may be your experience, but in mine, no one wanted to do FID or COIN? Frankly, If the Army ever develops an "Advisor Division" or such, I would not envy the people serving in it in any way. I, in no way wanted EVER to be working with the local population and hated every minute of it when I did. If the Army had units that ONLY did HIC type missions, I probably would have never left?
    When making that statement didn't mean down to the individual. Unfortunately the nature of the beast is about funding. Therefore you end up with those much higher than us fighting over who can do what and forcing units to be misutilized to try to gain more funding at least, if not try and get rid of an entire branch.
    ODB

Exchange with an Iraqi soldier during FID:

Why did you not clear your corner?

Because we are on a base and it is secure.