Quote Originally Posted by William F. Owen View Post
Just because it is new to some in the US does not make it new. War cannot change. Warfare is changing very slowly and in no way we cannot comprehend.

The failure of leadership is to recognise and explicitly state the above.
I'll agree with WILF as to his statement above, but then drive him to an immediate reply with my follow-on comment:

The nature of war indeed does not change quickly, though TTPs adjust continually to technologies, METT-T, etc. HOWEVER; what I see here is that perhaps leadership is coming to recognize that looking at intervention in the insurgency of some foreign country as warfare is to put it in the wrong category to begin with.

It is not that war or warfare is changing, it is that we are slowly coming to realize that this is far more Military Support to Civil Authorities for a very violent Civil Emergency than it is warfare. Our ROE and Tactical Directives are slowly working us around to the back door on this realization, as we are hard set to be macho warfighters in name, but realizing that macho appoaches simply don't fit.

Were not being overly wussified warfighters, as Ken discussess; instead we are being overly machofied MSCA providers.

Once we properly categorize the nature of our engagement, the logic of the tactical directives begins to fall in place as well.

Okay, WILF, fire away...