Thread: How To Fix The Economy

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Quote Originally Posted by Schmedlap View Post
    Or, perhaps they live within their means. My father is truck driver and my mother works on a GE assembly line. That's what they've done all their lives. They never altered their lifestyle in any recession OR bull market. They lived within their means. They buy the same food, wear the same clothes, drive the same cars, and go about the same daily routines today as when the market was booming in 2000 and 2006 and when the economy was thriving in the 80's, mid-90's, and early this decade and when the market was down in the early 80s, early 90's, and now.

As for many other Americans... I blame their self-destructive behavior

How does controlling the money supply (competently or otherwise) "maintain the economic viability of the whole country"? I would think it just ensures a strong and stable currency from which the country can succeed or fail, according to the choices of the people. From what I've seen, the people chose very, very poorly, repeatedly, for a very, very long time.

Where did all of these chickens come from? I hope that they're not here to roost! Oh crap, I think they are.
    Agreed. Far too many people in this country are unable to tell the difference between what they want and what they are entitled to.

Default Amen.

Quote Originally Posted by Uboat509 View Post
    Agreed. Far too many people in this country are unable to tell the difference between what they want and what they are entitled to.
    Though I'd suggest 'THINK' they are entitled to...

For every crooked rich person we have there are five or six not so rich persons who wants to rip off the system in any way they can. If you want to take a pitchfork to the really rich, go for it -- but you better get those less than rich rippers off of the system as well because they hurt far more than the really rich do. They have done this country more damage than all the Banks and wealthy people have.

Anybody over 62 who takes in over, say $40-50K a year and also draws Social; Security is ripping off the system (Yes, that includes me. I'll gladly send my check back as soon as all those who have more money than i do send theirs back). Try to talk about means testing SS and listen to the screaming...

Even better, try it with Medicare...

Those are two middle class destroying vote buying schemes, pure and simple. I have watched a vibrant, leading edge nation go to a run of the mill country on its way downhill in the three generations I've been alive, most all due to increasing and excessive dependence on the government and to a series of venal, crooked Congresses. Yes, that's redundant.

The rich aren't the only problem by a long shot -- but Congress is the real problem in both cases cited here (and several others). Direct your ire at them. The US economy will not get straight all long as we keep electing people who put their interests and their political parties fortunes ahead of the nation. That said, I've heard all this gloom and doom before -- and I, like everyone else I know, no matter how slightly, live better today then we have before and that was then and is now better than in most other nations in the world, all things considered. In spite of Congress...