Thread: Terrorism in the USA:threat & response

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Quote Originally Posted by bourbon View Post
    The people it targeted, who were finishing at that time, were the types who run to raise money for charity – normal Joes. The people who were standing around cheering, were likely to have been friends and families of those normal Joes.
    In other words he wanted it to hurt the most vulnerable, the most innocent of all present?

bourbon, whats your overall assessment if you don't mind giving it?

Quote Originally Posted by slapout9 View Post
    bourbon, whats your overall assessment if you don't mind giving it?
    The daily foot-traffic at the Boylston St Starbucks had the highest concentration of attractive women in all of New England. Someone detonated a bomb in front of it.

I'm thinking ugly chicks are responsible.
    “[S]omething in his tone now reminded her of his explanations of asymmetric warfare, a topic in which he had a keen and abiding interest. She remembered him telling her how terrorism was almost exclusively about branding, but only slightly less so about the psychology of lotteries…” - Zero History, William Gibson

the daily foot-traffic at the boylston st starbucks had the highest concentration of attractive women in all of new england. Someone detonated a bomb in front of it.

I'm thinking ugly chicks are responsible.
    :d:d:d don't know why the smiley faces didn't come up!
    Last edited by slapout9; 04-17-2013 at 05:06 AM. Reason: stuff

:d:d:d don't know why the smiley faces didn't come up!
    Certain truths are so real that they can only be consumed through sarcasm and humor. As brother Ted will attest.
    “[S]omething in his tone now reminded her of his explanations of asymmetric warfare, a topic in which he had a keen and abiding interest. She remembered him telling her how terrorism was almost exclusively about branding, but only slightly less so about the psychology of lotteries…” - Zero History, William Gibson

The object perhaps was the average guy, the average American. That was the target in the failed Times Square attack too, average people in a very famous 'American' place. Times Square and the Boston Marathon are both things that would appear on the front cover of a 'Visit American' travel brochure.

In addition maybe the timing has something to do with relaxing as an event winds down. I read that is the best time to hit a patrol, when they are approaching the end and beginning to relax. This whole thing seems a cut above average in execution.

I am not trying to be contrary for its own sake, just playing devil's advocate.
    "We fight, get beat, rise, and fight again." Gen. Nathanael Greene

Quote Originally Posted by carl View Post
    In addition maybe the timing has something to do with relaxing as an event winds down. I read that is the best time to hit a patrol, when they are approaching the end and beginning to relax. This whole thing seems a cut above average in execution.
    That is also the most dangerous time when transporting a prisoner...at the beginning and the end at least they used to teach that in my day.

Anytime you have multiple devices it indicates to me at least some higher form of planning and organization. Which always elevates the overall dangerousness IMO.

In other words he wanted it to hurt the most vulnerable, the most innocent of all present?
    I may be making too much of a generalization in terms of runners and spectators at the time; but it looks that way to me.

As an example my cousin was down by the finish line but left 30-60 minutes before the bombing; the "event" for her was watching the pro's finish - after that it was just kind of like watching a torrent of neighborhood joggers.

The Boston marathon also draws pro and serious runners from all over the world; the winners are usually like Kenyan or Ethiopian. When this international crowd is finishing is probably the height of live-tv coverage. The bomber(s) did not select this timeframe to hit.

Is such a change in the "demographics" relevant? I think we can't overlook it.

Is such a change in the "demographics" relevant? I think we can't overlook it.
    That is very significant ! if it turns out to be correct, which I think it may well be. The Rich and The Powerful are either protected by vast public resources or the private resources of the rich. The average Joe or Jane is vulnerable and they are a very,very big Target!

Default Speculations?

Assumption:
    It was not a lone bomber, he/she had help.

Why?
    1-timing, the bombs were timed somehow?

2-multiple placements.

3-concealment and camouflage was needed until detonation.

Anybody else feel free to jump in and add comments!

Default Speculations Part 2

Assumption:
    It was not a lone bomber, he/she had help.

Why?
    1-timing, the bombs were timed somehow?

2-multiple placements.

3-concealment and camouflage was needed until detonation.

Anybody else feel free to jump in and add comments!
    Every crime scene has 2 things left behind, the physical evidence and the perpetrator(s) behavior. I have listed the first 3 three and still think they are accurate. The fourth is escape behavior. Nobody has claimed credit....that is revealing in itself in that it involves escape behavior meaning these people X or group X had and apparently have a prepared get away method to evade their capture. OK turn yourn flame throwers on and poke some holes in the theory!
    Last edited by slapout9; 04-18-2013 at 07:21 PM. Reason: stuff

The fourth is escape behavior. Nobody has claimed credit....that is revealing in itself in that it involves escape behavior meaning these people X or group X had and apparently have a prepared get away method to evade their capture. OK turn yourn flame throwers on and poke some holes in the theory!
    I wondered why no claims of credit. I never thought of that, that they wouldn't make any until the perps were safe...out of the country and in a position to make a videotape. You southern boys think good.

Unfortunately, it seems these perps are good too.
    Last edited by carl; 04-18-2013 at 08:24 PM.
    "We fight, get beat, rise, and fight again." Gen. Nathanael Greene

Carl and Slap,
    What if they never claim responsibility? What if the fruit cake simple got off on it and is long gone.

Tons of things happen over here each week with not a stinking sole claiming responsibility.

Why all the significance on some Delta Hotel claiming responsibility ? Gives us a direction to search in ? Assuming somebody else decides to claim first ?
    If you want to blend in, take the bus

Latitude 17° 5' 11N, Longitude 120° 54' 24E, altitude 1499m. Right where I want to be.

Quote Originally Posted by carl View Post
    I wondered why no claims of credit. I never thought of that, that they wouldn't make any until the perps were safe...out of the country and in a position to make a videotape.
    Or because they aren't in a position to leave the country and claiming credit would consequently be not a very smart thing to do. No reason to assume that someone from outside the country was or wasn't responsible.
    “The whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, all of them imaginary”

H.L. Mencken

That is very significant ! if it turns out to be correct, which I think it may well be. The Rich and The Powerful are either protected by vast public resources or the private resources of the rich. The average Joe or Jane is vulnerable and they are a very,very big Target!
    Well, I wouldn't necessarily put it that way - but your perspective may give insight towards suspect groups or ideologies. If this "demographic" insight is legit, then which target would: the radical/anarchist hit? The militia type? The jihadi? The marxist? The eco-warrior? etc…

As far as breaking out the class-struggle lenses? I wouldn't consider most Kenyan pro-marathoners to rich and powerful. This may sound counter-intuitive to military-types - but marathons and "fitness" would probably be considered bourgeoisie activities in our country. Frankly, it costs extra to eat healthy in our country - and time spent exercising is time not on the job. Its a paradox, but I believe the lowest socio-economic levels in our country have the highest rate of obesity.

As far as breaking out the class-struggle lenses? I wouldn't consider most Kenyan pro-marathoners to rich and powerful.
    Sorry, that wasn't what I was getting at. Having worked on both Public and Private Security details they are hard Targets compared to Joe or Jane Doe. So my point was supposed to be that he/she/group X/or whatever went for the most vulnerable group of Targets, which was the general public in this case.