Thread: Studies on radicalization & comments

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Thornton View Post
    That is a great place to start. I think I can at least accept the Jihadist who comes to fight witht he intention of participating as an insurgent, freedom fighter, holy warrior or guerilla (all distinct enough to mention) because he has the intent of remaining alive even though his convictions allow him to face death.

The one I don't understand is the suicide martyr. Do they see it as suicide? How do they view their act? What is the conviction that allows them to prepare for the event (Mentally, Physically, Spiritually)? What is the attraction (maybe a poor choice of words)? This is not facing death, it is accepting death (or is it?).

It seems to me that if a village (or another geographically distant) location outside of Iraq can produce people who are willing to destroy themselves then it is important to understand why. It is their "will" to do so which interests me.
    Thanks, Rob
    They don't call it "suicide bombings" but "martyrdom seeking operations". As suicide is prohibited they would go to hell. but if their act of killing themselves strikes a blow against the enemy they are martyrs and admited to paradise. think of it as modern day kamikaze rather than suiciders.

We had a debate about a year ago about this motivation. You might want to find it.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by aktarian View Post
    They don't call it "suicide bombings" but "martyrdom seeking operations". As suicide is prohibited they would go to hell. but if their act of killing themselves strikes a blow against the enemy they are martyrs and admited to paradise. think of it as modern day kamikaze rather than suiciders.
    Great point there!

Also... Sometimes, just to be participant in the war (jihad) and being killed (with intention of seeking martyrdom or with wish to defend Muslim Umma) will be enough for some of them… It’s not necessary for enemy to be killed.