Thread: Militant Muslim Women Research

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Question Militant Muslim Women Research

Over the next year I will be writing my undergraduate senior honors thesis on the role of Muslim women in military forces and insurgencies, primarily focusing on Middle Eastern women. If anyone has any suggested readings for me or places to look for information, it would be greatly appreciated. I intend to focus on women's roles from the dawn of Islam up through modern times, so any historic information would be welcome as well.

R.Ashdown
    Last edited by davidbfpo; 05-10-2012 at 07:27 PM. Reason: Authors details reduced after latest post,a s advised by Moderator via PM

rla18,

I know much hype surrounded the induction of women officers into the Afghan National Army (ANA) about a year ago, so should be easy to find.

IIRC women are recruited into Iran's armed forces too, then of course there were the 'Amazons' in Gadafy's Libya, unlikely to be replicated again.

There are some think tanks in Europe that have looked at women's participation in the military, although unsure if they have looked at Muslim nations.

(Added) Have a look at West Point's CTC:http://www.ctc.usma.edu/

Good luck!
    Last edited by davidbfpo; 04-29-2012 at 09:34 PM.
    davidbfpo

Default State dept

Rachel,
    In around the 2006 timeframe there was a State Dept Human Factors study on role of women in insurgent movements with focus on more recent trends in Islamic extremist movements. If you haven't checked there it might open up some leads.
    All the best

Pbr

Default All things you have probably already done, but just in case…

Quote Originally Posted by rla18 View Post
    Over the next year I will be writing my undergraduate senior honors thesis on the role of Muslim women in military forces and insurgencies, primarily focusing on Middle Eastern women. If anyone has any suggested readings for me or places to look for information, it would be greatly appreciated. I intend to focus on women's roles from the dawn of Islam up through modern times, so any historic information would be welcome as well.

Rachael Ashdown
    Sweet Briar College, Class of 2013
    Definitely see The Women of Hizbollah. Lila Abu-Lughod and Saba Mahmood don't work on this topic per se, but their work might be a good place to scan for references more specific to your project. Same goes for Fatima Mernissi.

Do do an introduction at the Hail & Farewell thread. I know there is already at least one small liberal arts school person besides myself hanging around this forum, no reason to be shy.

Moderator's Note: an introduction is 100% voluntary.
    Last edited by davidbfpo; 04-30-2012 at 10:29 AM. Reason: Add Note
    If you don’t read the newspaper, you are uninformed; if you do read the newspaper, you are misinformed. – Mark Twain (attributed)

Default Palestinian policewomen break traditional stereotypes

A BBC News report:http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-17927527

It is rare to see women police officers on the streets in any part of the Arab world. But in the Palestinian territories where civil police are themselves, a relatively new concept, concerted efforts are under way to bring more women into the force. In Hebron, the West Bank's biggest city, there are now about 50 women among the 900 police officers deployed locally. Their presence challenges stereotypes but it is traditional values that make it necessary.
    Note there has been EU & US input to the civil Palestinian police programme, so there maybe published articles elsewhere
    davidbfpo

Default Thank You

Thank you all for your input. I think this will be a great foundation for me to build off of as I start my research this summer. If anyone comes across anything else that is relevant, I would very much appreciate any more information that can be passed on to me.

R. Ashdown